The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-04-2014

Good morning. It's 39° with 82% humidity. The high will be 59° but will feel like 55°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Temp didn't stop at 29. The weather guesser missed by one degree. It hit 28. Only thing on for today is to get some program Rom's transferred to my //e. Other than that I have no plans.

[Image: P4022370.jpg]

[Image: P4022371.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5947.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-04-2014

Charlie B Wrote:My sister in law moved to Phoenix in the early 80's and while she brags about how nice it is she lets all these little tidbits escape, including having to carry water in your car, and the pavement being too hot to walk on, water bill, etc. I would love to visit in the early spring or late fall and we are planning to do that and I hope it is this year. I have a friend that is the chief mechanical officer at the Heber valley in Utah and a few of our Samoyed friends are in OK. and TX. that we would like to see on the trip. It basically depends on fuel prices.
Charlie

I used to write a column for an Ohio paper and talked about just that frequently. A few things you don't do in the summer here is to touch any water that comes out of a hose for at least two minutes or you will get scaled, and you don't touch any metal with your skin on a car that been out in the sun more than a half-hour. I won't even talk about trying to drive with your knees until the steering wheel cools off. Nope

If and when you decide to come here, let me know and we can try to get together...

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-04-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 24 degrees.
But it's just a tease.
We are sitting right in the path of the new snow storm, the forecast, 8 to 12 inches by Monday morning.
Followed by below zero temps till Wednesday.
No train news this morning.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-04-2014

I got a good close-up shot of the cactus flower. It's a thing of beauty and I figure it should be shared.

[Image: DSCN5967.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-04-2014

Good afternoon all.

RB,

Great looking plant have not seen a Christmas cactus in a long time. Growing up sister had snake plants, aloe, and African violets every where in the house.

Speaking of odd things to grow, I may try okra again Had good luck several years ago with two varieties, northern wonder and baby bubba. The people next door to Mom and Dad are from Mississippi(Amory) the woman grew up in the Train station at Amory as her step father was a railroader for the Frisco. They got me growing okra----for those who have not tried eating okra it has a very weak mild pepper taste. It is a good filler for stir fry or great as a deep fried veggie. You eat the seed pods but you have to pick them quick and often or the seed pod turns to wood.

Speaking of deep fried veggies I seen at Aldi's in the freezer breaded green beans for deep-frying Icon_lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well most of you have seen some of my projects and intrest in various hobbies, Last night took the first steps to narrowing my focus on the model trains specifically the free lanced BFT will be an S gauge Railroad as I looked at the American Models undecorated loco's as far as price and what is available VS Atlas O Undecorated offerings. For the price I can almost get twice the roster in S that I could get from Atlas O, as for rolling stock they were close but some stuff may be scratch built anyway.

The BFT(Buckeye Freight & Terminal) is an Appalachian coal hauler for the most part with a bit of variety in other freight cars just for fun, but most will be hoppers of various styles and sizes. My inspiration for the BFT is the V&O in HO and the A&O in 2 rail O scale as for scenery and setting. Not too worried about era specific rolling stock as I want a few F units and GP 9/7 , GP 18 and some GP 35's for the main part of roster with some E8 AA and PA ABA for the occasional passenger/excursion run. The railroad will be a modular design starting as a Locomotive service set (2) of modules and maybe a set of modules with a large coal operation. The reason for going with the modular route is I want to keep and complete my Lionel display layout with its companion layout an AF layout. I will complete the other projects as able but main interest is in bringing the BFT to life even if it is a mobile modular layout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weather here cold but tolarable more snow on the way but main roads are at the moment clear.

Looks like the temp will be a civilized 54° tonight. But tomorrow night they're talking about 20° and the 18° Monday night. One place I'm NOT gonna be is outside. Fortunately it's looking like the rest of the month will be above freezing for the most part with just a couple of nights below 32°.

Today was the last day I'll be copying software Rom's onto floppy disks for a bit. I'm down to three floppy's, so until I get more that project goes on hold. I have an enhanced //e motherboard coming from San Antonio, Texas. Right now the plan is to put it in my mothers old IIe. But if I get back home before then I may put it in my black IIe then put that computers old 'Revision B' board into my mothers old IIe. Either way the junk 'Revision A' board in it will be getting tossed out.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-04-2014

The In/Out thermometer beside me says that it's 27 degrees F right now.
We have frost on the inside of the side garage door -- right around the knob and lock. I don't remember seeing that before.
Temp was a lot lower the last couple of days.

Nothing additional to report. It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow

[Image: P4012363.jpg]

[Image: P3312354.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5963.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-04-2014

Good night all. COLD but so is everyone. Most are colder than me.

KEV, good luck with the tummy thing. Not needed when you gat to move snow. Stay warm.

Sir J, stay warm too. Don't get out. Just play trains.

Tom, you stay warm too.

RB, we have several Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus in the greenhouse. One blooms in and around the Thanksgiving holiday. The other three are Christmas bloomers. One or two are from my Mom's parents'. Old plants. They are really pretty.

Sleep tight all.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-05-2014

Greetings, gang.

Not even going to talk about the weather today. It sucks!

Had another fairly quiet day yesterday. Just sat around and watched some movies. Then later in the evening I read a book. Today looks to be much the same.

RB - Thanks for the info. It is a very pretty flower.

Chief - I appreciate the kind thoughts and fully intend to comply. With the temps predicted for the next few days I don't even plan on going top the gym until at least Wednesday.

All stay safe (and warm).

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-05-2014

Morning all. Warmer and rainy. Bad stuff due later in the week [peek cold is Tues.].

I tease you Yanks a lot but really feel for you now. Hope all stay warm and dry. Hope you can stay in and not have to travel in bad conditions. Be sure to have your animals inside or really taken care of.

Even "Days" and his snowbirds are having it tough.

Have a great week all.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-05-2014

Good morning all.

It is freezing rain at the moment. Not looking forward to the drive to work today.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-05-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have 29 degrees now, which by tomorrow morning will feel like spring.
Snow overnight and all through today with an est. amount of around 9 inches of snow total.
We will not have milk or eggs for a few days as the local stores were so overwhelmed that police had to direct traffic at some of them.
But we do have plenty of food and if the power and furnace stay on we will be fine.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-05-2014

Good morning. It's 58° with 99% humidity. The high, we're already there and we have clouds and rain.
[Image: 44a1a726-f0d2-4c47-b045-21a6cd26c7da.jpg][Image: cond50.jpg]

The word for the weather here is WET. Then there's the cold tonight. Down to 19° with a wind chill of 8° tonight and then 16° tomorrow night with a possible wind chill of 10°! Somebody up north done left that door to the arctic open. Can somebody please kick it shut and put a couple of really big heavy locks on it? I live down here because I don't like cold weather. I certainly don't need that cold breathed bandersnatch dropping in for a visit!

No plans for today except to stay dry.

[Image: P3292332.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 01-05-2014

2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Once in a great while, I get the inspiration to do "the right thing". Toward the end of Summer, I decided to replace the furnace in my Condo. The old one had been here since I moved in 20 years ago, ( and I have no idea how long before that ). The new one is an energy efficient one.
With that in mind.........It has been a long time since I have seen this much snow, and heard talk of temperatures this ( wind chills of down to -60 ) cold.
Cheers Cheers " Once in a great while, I get the inspiration to do the right thing " Waveof7