The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-08-2014

Good morning to you all. I'm still concerned about the weather gripping the rest of the country. It almost makes me feel guilty about our weather here....almost that is. Wink Still, I wouldn't go to the high country anytime soon. Don't know how much snow is on the ground up there, but Flagstaff is not unlike the rest of the country, although I don't think they got into the sub-zero temps. Although there are many people that go up there from here because of the excellent skiing at the Snow Bowl just north of Flagstaff.

RB: good to hear that you're making progress walking. Let's face it, you've come a long way in a few short months. We were at Costco yesterday and they guy in front of us had a prostheses on his left leg and if he wasn't wearing shorts (obviously a winter snowbird :? ), you'd never know it by the way he was walking. I'm sure you'll be there in no time at all. Keep it up.... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-08-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have bright sun and +2 degrees. That's warmer than all of yesterday....sigh
The roads are drivable but not clean. Too cold for salt to do it's job.
I have no plans to go out, we have food and there's nothing out there I gotta have.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-08-2014

Morning all. Going above freezing today. Actually going to the 60's by Friday. Yes. Unbelievable. Hope we killed all those bad insects that have survived for a couple of years.

KEV, sending you some "Southern Comfort" in a few days. Big Grin Hang in there.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-08-2014

Running Bear Wrote:Got a phone call after sign-off last night. Caller wanted to know how I modified my Lobo Drives to read ProDOS. I'm not telling. However it has nothing to do with the drive hardware. The solution is all in software. It works though it's a little slower.
Sell him a DCC Tsunami sound chip!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-08-2014

Good evening all.

Still cold but 40s temps on the way 2285_ Brake out the shorts and sunglasses Icon_lol

Downtown still a mess from water main brake also some busted water pipes inside some office buildings, we recently here in Columbus have learned two "new" weather related terms, Artic vortex and frost quake(where ground freezes and makes loud crunching and popping sounds from expansion and contraction of the ground), as if microbursts were not bad enough as is.

Evening meal was pizza and salad and cheap diet rite cola Popcornbeer Cheers

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-08-2014

Nothing much went on today. I spent much of the day watching Star Trek fan movies online. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment in DeRidder at the prosthetics clinic. They'll be wanting to see how I'm getting along with my leg and I bet they'll want to see if I've done a hatchet job on it to make it more comfortable. There is still one area that's causing me some discomfort but it's more of just a minor nuisance. I also need to see about getting spares for the liner and the sleeve and get some extra socks (for the stump, not the feet although I need to get some of those too) so I can have plenty of clean ones on hand.

Well it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow sometime.

[Image: P3152134.jpg]

[Image: P2242010.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5905.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-09-2014

Morning all. Sunny and a lot warmer. Not even freezing. Hope all get warmed up. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-09-2014

Greetings, gang.

9 and partly cloudy in the remote reaches of northern Iowas this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the low 20s. Warmer still tomorrow but sleet, freezing rain, and snow make for an unpleasant forecast.

Got another bid on replacing the water pipes yesterday and almost hired the guy on the spot. He was $600 lower than anyone else. Still have to the end of the week before making a decision.

This morning we've already been out and about. First stop was breakfast at a local diner. Then to Walmart for some groceries. Nest up will be a trip to the gym. This afternoon My Fair Lady wants to relocate the monitor for her computer so we'll be fiddling with that for a while. May have to make a quick trip to pick up a VGA extension cord. Also need to install the platform to get her computer up off the floor. She keeps hitting the power button and shutting it down.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-09-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 12 degrees.
There is no news from here this week, I'm just trying to stay warm.
I hope every one is safe and well.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-09-2014

Good afternoon, well, it's just barely that, but it is in the mid-60's. I can't be sure though, the Weather Channel app says it's 63 out, but my new indoor/outdoor thermometer says that it's 55 outside. I picked up a new one yesterday, the old one said that it was 190 degrees inside, Eek that might have been correct for July, but not January Icon_lol .... Anyway, the new one has a wireless transmitter so there are no wires going outside meaning that I no longer have to put the display next to the door. Big Grin Still, I'm not sure now what the temp outside is. :o

The forecast was for rain today (20%) through Saturday (10%). They dropped Sat, then Friday and now today's forecast has a 10% chance of rain. I can see why the change, it's a bit chilly out but the sun is shining like it was spring.

And before you ask, yes, 60 degrees is chilly to us here. Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-09-2014

Went to see the doc about my prosthesis this morning. He's very happy with the progress I'm making. I told him of the minor problem that's been a minor nuisance and he made an adjustment that so far has been satisfactory. Upon getting back here my father and I went over to my trailer where he worked on the steps and I went inside and filled a couple of large trash cans. As I've said in the past I have never claimed to be a good housekeeper. Not even a somewhat good one. In fact absolutely terrible. While I was there I fired up my HP PC. Windows8! Yuck! The only thing I know of that's worse is rutabaga! The PC started up OK. I needed to give the modem a kick in the pants though. Got it up and got online. Got some of the newer forum site links updated. Also turned on the power to my TV and satellite TV system and found that I couldn't access any channels. They're on the guide but when I attempt to access any of them it says 'Unauthorized Programming' and there's a 005 error code. I went back up front and helped my father with the steps. He modified them as I asked and I can get up and down them much easier now. We also installed a hand rail. It's on the right side of the porch as you're looking at the trailer. This allows the door to open all the way to the left or to the rear of the trailer. When we got back here I got in contact with the satellite TV company online and told them what kind of problem I was having. I had left the receiver on so they could do anything they needed to do. The tech sent a code to the receiver and said it should be working properly the next time I go back there. I hope so. I get a bit ornery without my TV as my father can tell you. His cable his terrible. I've been getting by watching my DVD's and watching some movies online. I brought the first two seasons of Star Trek Enterprise back with me today. I saw my black Apple IIe. A sight for sore eyes. I also started up my van today. After sitting for six months I figured the battery would need charging. NOPE! I turned the key, pressed the starter button and it started cranking over like it didn't have a care in the world. I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and cranked it again and it fired right over. The gas has been in the tank for just over six months but there seems to be nothing wrong with it. Either that or that old van could run good on kerosene!

Got back here and found some packages waiting for me. Three to be exact. A memory card organizer that can hold ten SD cards, a computer cord for my mothers old IIe and an unopened box of twenty-five blank 3M 5.25" floppy disks. I formatted all of them front and back so I have the equivalent of fifty blank floppy disks. There's one item still on it's way. A twelve foot video coax cable for my mothers old IIe. It's in New Jersey at present. Couldn't resist $3.79 and FREE shipping.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-09-2014

Something I want to add before I sign off tonight. A good friend of mine, a little older than me, has a son, twenty-one years old, who was badly injured in an accident about four months ago. He lost his left leg, above the knee because of it. He was very upset over it and had no desire to become a 'freak' as he put it. I gave him a couple of pieces of advice. Never give up hope and never turn your back on opportunities. You never know when or if they may come again. Moreover never turn your back on those who are trying to help you. I was told today that he's walking again. It seems I'm his role model, that I never give up and convinced him not to give up but to keep a positive attitude and a positive outlook on the future.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P2201959.jpg]

[Image: P2161920.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4649.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-10-2014

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 25 this morning headed for a high of 32 with sleet, freezing rain, and snow in the forecast for the next 24 hours.

RB - I think we are all impressed with your ability to move forward, regardless of the challenges you face.

Don - I have one of those wired indoor/outdoor thermometers and I remember waking up one morning and it read -199. Talk about wanting to turn over and go back to sleep! Replaced the battery and it still works fine. My wife picked up two of them one year after Christmas for 10 cents apiece. Hers lasted about a week and quit working. I still have my 15 years later.

Late this afternoon we'll be calling the winning plumber that he can start replacing the water pipes as soon as he can fit us into his schedule. Other than that nothing major is planned for today other than a trip to the gym. Supper for tonight is already made. I made a big pot of chili yesterday and it's been marinating since then. All I have to do is whip up some corn bread.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chuck - 01-10-2014

Hey guys! The Lansing Model RR Club made the news this morning. Channel 6 came out oh my God early this morning(6 a.m.) and did a live feed from the club about our train show this Sunday. The Membership Secretary did a great job as the club spokesperson. Check out the video at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wlns.com/story/24414608/michigans-largest-model-train-show-rolls-into-east-lansing-sunday#.UtAB_HFRaNY.facebook">http://www.wlns.com/story/24414608/mich ... Y.facebook</a><!-- m -->
It was rough getting up at 4 a.m. to be there by 5:30, but it was worth it!

Chuck

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-10-2014

Morning. Misting rain. Going to 70 tomorrow. T'storms too. Yes, thunderstorms in the winter. Crazy. Off to Big Rock Outdoors distributor's show at convention center. Have a good one.