The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-17-2014

Cleaned up the end of the layout extension enough to set down some track for half of the loop. I had to slide the track under the computer cords as I haven't yet cut a hole to pass them down through. That'll be a good project to look into over the weekend. The track didn't look right just sitting there so I got two of my F3A's out of the box and set them on the track. The track looks much better now.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN6135.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3680.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6120.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-18-2014

Chief Eagles Wrote:Good night all. Yanks, stay dry and warm. We are in for some cold air down here. Sleep tight.

Don't know if I qualify for being a Yank anymore, I left New Jersey back in the 50's, and have been here in the Southwest ever since. No need to wish us to stay dry and warm here though, we haven't seen rain since December, and it was 79°out yesterday. Big Grin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-18-2014

Greetings, gang.

Snow and 34 degrees this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. The temperature will drop somewhat to about 28 by this afternoon but the wind is supposed to pick up. Not a good day to be out and about.

The plumber stopped by yesterday and looked at the stack. We discussed a number of option and decided on a course of action. The repairs will be performed on Wednesday, along with replacing the water lines. I'm really looking forward to getting this done. Chief - you're right, it's not all that expensive getting the water lines replaced.

No major activities planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-18-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have cloudy skies and 10 degrees.
It appears that is our forecast for a least a week.
I will be helping to setup the modular layout for tomorrows largest show of the winter train season.
Then our monthly club meet is tonight.
So a busy weekend then home to the torture of another cold winter week.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-18-2014

Good morning. It's 36° with 63% humidity. Today will be sunny with a high of 63°.
[Image: cond026.gif]

I have a tentative plan for today. #1 is to put a 1" flat bit in my drill and bore a few holes close together in a triangle pattern behind and to the left of the //e. That'll get the computer cords off the track. #2 set some track down. At this stage I'm just seeing how the track goes through the area, how much track I need and if I need to cut any 'custom' pieces. I'm using Bachmann ns EZ-Track (HO of course) and I'm limited to 18" radius curves, no bigger, no smaller. I know I'm going to need some more straight pieces. I can raid the display rack for some. It won't hurt the locos there to sit on the wood shelves. Even so I don't think I'll have enough straight pieces. Once I see how the track will go through a certain area I can move pieces to the next area and see how it goes through there and what has to be done to get around certain 'obstacles' that won't be moved. Once I know that I'll know how much white foam I have to get. This time around I'll be cutting it into pieces to put under the track and under certain structures. For the most part scenery will be placed on the plywood.

[Image: DSCN3600.jpg]

[Image: ce7e3912-0f6e-46d0-b97c-93bf3e62762d.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5970.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-18-2014

Afternoon all. Windy, sunny and cold. Being lazy. Walk later. Stay warm and dry.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-18-2014

Well I got the holes drilled in the layout top. Not quite a triangle pattern but the computer cards fit through the new opening without a problem and they'll no longer be a problem as far as track work goes. I set more track down and I was right. Even with the eleven straight pieces I reclaimed from the display rack I don't have even straight track. I could work in a turnout here and there but I'd still need straights there too. Why do I hate being right. Well, I'll just have to watch Ebay to see if I can find a real bargain on some straight ns Bachmann EZ-Track. Maybe I'll luck out and find some really cheap with free shipping and then hope it'll still be there next month when I might have some money to play with. I'm back in my home now so those bills are with me again and money's gonna be tight. Oh well, good things come to those who wait I guess. Besides, I still need to get the white Styrofoam.

Took a break for lunch. Had an old childhood favorite. Black Forest ham and American cheese on Ritz crackers and washed it down with peach mango green tea, spiced up with Tabasco of course. Nothing better than the simple things.

Been busy working on the layout off and on today. Had a turnout on the east side that wasn't working. The problem was totally electrical. The common wire got pulled loose from the back of the control panel. Most of the curve pieces for the loop around the computer are set down. There's still a few more to set down that will be going onto the main part of the layout. Still got some big gaps that need straight pieces. Hopefully I'll have some soon.

Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN6154.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3544.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5917.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-19-2014

Good morning, I hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend. Temps here are just great, forecast calls for up to 80° through to the end of next week. Rain? you have to be kidding. Nope On Friday, we went out into the desert for some target shooting, temps were into the 70's by mid-morning,a got up to 79 in the afternoon. Humidity was below 10% with the dew point in the 20's. We had a great time shooting, the wind was blowing enough to keep the flies away, which made things even more pleasant. Big Grin We haven't gone out shooting in a few months.... I think I need to do a bit of gun cleaning before we go out again though. Icon_lol A few were jamming and that kind of takes the edge off of things a bit.

Remember, we still have an auction going for a Big Blue Fifth Anniversary coffee mug. The bidding has been brisk, but just to remind you, here's a chance to donate to maintaining things here, and get something in return. Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-19-2014

Good morning. It's 46° with 65% humidity. The high will be 65° and it looks as though it'll be bright out there today.
[Image: cond026.gif]

I think today I'll spend some time cleaning up part of the layout. Not too long at one time though as standing for more than ten minutes will be very uncomfortable. I'm breaking in a new liner on my right leg. It helps protect my skin from the pressure exerted on it by my prosthesis and it gives the connecting elastic sleeve something to grip. Without it the leg would just fall off and I'd be stuck with just one leg to stand on. I have enough trouble balancing on two as it is.

I set some track in behind the //e computer and took a couple of photos so I can see what I need to do later when the white foam is set in. The track definitely needs to be moved away from the wall. I'm posting the photos so you can see them too. The first is from the north side going toward the kitchen and the second is from the south side going to, you guessed it, the central part of the layout.

[Image: DSCN6163.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6167.jpg]

Other than that I don't think I'll be doing much today.

[Image: DSCN6061.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-19-2014

Afternoon. Back from Sunday School, Target and Smithfield Chicken and Bar-be-que. [dinner]

Warming fast but the breeze makes it feel cooler.

Will walk and then maybe some Train Box time.

Church/Mayor stuff at 5:30.

Have a great week ahead.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-19-2014

Hello blue
We have a cloudy 28, but that will seem like a spring day by Tuesday.
The deep freeze is coming again.
Saturday morning I helped setup the modular layout for today's show.
We can make the 3 rail layout quite large and it had a crowd around it all day.
Last night was our Detroit3railers club meet so busy busy busy busy.
Now all I have to do is try and stay warm.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-19-2014

It's gonna be around 38 tonight. Shouldn't even need the heater. Well I set down track today so I could see just where I need to put white foam when I have some to put down. I was using a couple of 9" straight tracks to map the areas for the straights and I can already see that I'll need to cut a few 'custom' pieces, maybe as short as one inch.

I put the newly set down curve to good use. While I was living at my fathers place I put together some locos but had no way to test them. Well today they got tested. Two are old 40's era Varney F3A's that I repowered with blue box Athearn F7 drives. The Athearn frames are an almost perfect fit. Anyway, they run great. I also test ran an Athearn GP50. Beautiful runner and it has a just audible growl.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN6180-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6168-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6160.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-20-2014

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 30 degrees this morning and that's about as warm as it will be today. The clouds are moving in, the temperature will be dropping, and the snow will start to fall later today. Yesterday's high was 55. Tomorrow morning's low is supposed to be -6.

The only thing in the agenda for today is a trip to the gym and maybe get the car washed.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-20-2014

And a fine mornin' ta ya all (just practicing for St. Paddy's day) Wink ... Still a bit chilly for here, lows forecast in the 40's, nothing higher than the low 80's for the near future. We are well above average, and flirting with record highs. My theory is that there is a finite amount of cold and heat in the world, and when there are record lows back in the mid-west and northeast, we get the heat that they're not using. Icon_lol So much for that global warming theory. 357