The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-25-2014

Good afternoon all.

Well I missed a day of work Thursday due to pain in the hip, went to urgent care they x-rayed left hip, turns out I have arthritis and a bone spur in left hip socket. I have some medicine for inflammation once it is gone if I still have some pain I am supposed to see an orthopedic doctor Sad

No new train news as of yet.

It warmed up enough here that it is snowing a good 2 or 3 inches it looks like, roads are drifty with snow.

Keep warm all.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-25-2014

I got a good photo of the wood frame under the west side of the over-roof.

[Image: DSCN6262-1.jpg]

You can see the 2x4 that the steel sheets are screwed to is busted in two places. Simple right? Pull the section out and put another one in? Not so simple. I couldn't bolt the framing to the trailers roof for obvious reasons. Instead a thick layer of tar was put down and the wood framing was seated into the wet tar. Now the problem is how do I get the 2x4 off of there without setting the tar on fire in the process.The idea I'm working on is this: Leave that busted 2X4 right where it is. Put anther section up next to it and screw it to good parts of the 2X4 fore and aft of the broken area. straighten the steel sheets as best I can and screw them to the new board. It's just a temporary repair but it should work.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-25-2014

Did a lot of nothing today. Didn't even get the other two IIe's out of the closet for a damage inspection. Maybe tomorrow. Today was just checking on structural damage to my trailer. It's extensive.The panel board on the west wall of the bedroom is broken in a couple of places and pushed down over itself. At least one stud inside the wall is broken. Part of the frame for the over-roof is smashed and several of the steel roof panels are smashed. The trailers original roof still appears to be watertight. At least I haven't seen any leaks. Two sections of the galvanized steel skirting are wrecked and the outside rear west wall is buckled. This is gonna be pretty pricey to fix. I have to weigh that cost against the price of getting another trailer, transport, setup and disposal of the old one. I also have to look at the possibility of getting a good used vehicle. My old van has about had it. It's become highly undependable and I can't depend on family for transport to medical appointments and grocery shopping. I hope to be able to fix the trailer or at least strengthen and seal the structure and make sure it's safe and maybe get a vehicle that's dependable. But a place to live comes first.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN3839.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6270.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6223.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-26-2014

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 34 headed for 18 by this afternoon with blizzard conditions. Snow and wind gusts up to 50 mph.

Yesterday I fixed the light in the laundry room for My Fair Lady. Now she has no excuse not to do laundry. Today I'm going to try to get my car started so I can get a new battery in it. I rather do it today when it's still above freezing rather than tomorrow when the is only supposed to be -1.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-26-2014

Good Morning Blue
It's 9 degrees with lite snow.
Sooo tired of the cold and with no relief in the forecast.
A chat with some of the guys last night.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - eightyeightfan1 - 01-26-2014

Heading up to the Big E train show(AKA Amherst Model Railroad Society Show) in West Springfild Mass., with the NEW girlfriend..(C&O, Chessie fan...works in the (N)ot so normal scale). Her first time going.
Any one else goimg?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 01-26-2014

Good morning to you's all...

Anybody watching the coverage of UP's Big Boy move in Pomona, CA. ??
It's being moved to UP's shops in Spokane, WA for restoration.

Here's a link to the coverage.

http://trn.trains.com/en/Union%20Pacific%20Big%20Boy/Webcam/2014/01/Big%20Boy%20Webcam%20January%202014.aspx

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-26-2014

Good morning. It's 46° with 85% humidity and fog. The high will be 62° and cloudy.
Morning: [Image: condmc-1.jpg], Afternoon: [Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Looks like I'm gonna have to do whatever temporary patches I can today. It won't do anything at all for structural integrity but it'll make me feel better and possibly stop that dang draft. The forecast for the coming week is showers with possible snow/sleet. I surely don't need that.

If I have time today I'll pull the other computers out of the closet and inspect them for damage.

I don't expect to get any layout work done today.

[Image: DSCN3797.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3776.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6215.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-26-2014

Got as much patch work as I could done. It looks like crap but hopefully it'll hold until a permanent repair job can be done. It's just heavy grade aluminum foil, some tape and two cans of spray-on truck bed liner. That stuff is little more than glorified spray paint! It goes on thin and dries thin. Already I can feel a significant decrease in the draft in the bedroom. There's still an opening at the top of the gap. That's going to have to wait until I can find something to fill it or cover it. Fortunately it's under part of the damaged over-roof. However wind could blow rain water into it. At least the bedroom won't be so chilly now.

[Image: DSCN6276.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6281.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6282.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-26-2014

Afternoon all. Warmer and breezy. Going close to 60 degrees tomorrow. Then down the hill again Tues. on.

KEV, Charlie and Sir J, Stay warm and dry. Figured that was a vent for a furnace.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-26-2014

Good afternoon. We're in the high 70's right now with more of the same for about a week. I have feelings for you all being hit with the winter storms. We keep track since we have relatives in upstate NY. That's as close as it gets for us, Big Grin but believe it or not, we've seen snow here a few times in the past 50 years and every few years it does stick just to the north of the valley.

No, it didn't rain a few days ago, and so that's none for this year so far. February should be better.

Looks like tonight will be the last warm one until Thursday. Tomorrow night will be 25° with a chance of freezing rain. Oh joy. Tuesday night 20° with a chance of freezing rain and snow. Wednesday night 25°. I could really do without the freezing rain and snow.

Put a rudimentary patch of the southwest corner of the trailer today. It doesn't look all that great but it's effective. The big draft in the bedroom is now a small draft and it's warmer in there.

Pulled the two IIe's out of the closet today and inspected them for damage. They look to be in good shape.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN3739.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3711.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4736.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-27-2014

Good morning all,

News for the day got the latest NMRA magazine.

Spent most of the evening at a memorial for a neighbor how had passed away recently, food and very loud classic rock from 3 bands,(the bands were Four on the floor, White Monkey, and Scioto bottom feeders) Music would have been better at half the volume) most of the songs I knew but it was mostly zeppelin, the WHO stuff like that. Stuff I liked as a kid but I think I out grew some of it. 8-)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-27-2014

It's a pleasant 57° this morning with 100% humidity and patchy fog. The high will fall to 50° and it will be cloudy with showers.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

It's gonna be cooling off this afternoon heading to a low tonight of 22° and a chance of freezing rain and sleet. YUCK!

The temp throughout the trailer is 75°. The heater was set last night to it's minimum setting to just maintain the temp. It feels very good in here.

No plans today. After this last weekend I need a break!
[Image: squirellmassage1.gif]

[Image: DSCN6168.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-27-2014

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cold this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Right now it's -8 heading for a blistering high of -6. Near normal temps in the low to mid 20s are expected by the middle of the week.

I did some experimenting yesterday and found out the tub faucet itself is the reason for no water pressure in the shower upstairs. My Fair Lady is searching the internet looking for a suitable replacement. I also got the battery replaced on my car yesterday. My Fair Lady helped me push it out of the garage so I could remove the battery. We have one of those old garages that have a low addition added to provide room for the longer cars that were popular in the 60s.

The only item on today's agenda is a trip to the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom