The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-27-2014

Morning all. Headed east to farms. Servicing deer feeders and cameras. Warm today. Cold tomorrow. Maybe a dusting to an inch or so of snow Wed. maybe not. Mostly east of us. Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chuck - 01-27-2014

Good morning Blue! I love snow days! I got the call last night school was called off due to blowing snow/drifting (a lot of back roads were impassable at noon yesterday) and cold temps. They stopped plowing the highways due to the wind. They are going to start back up this afternoon. It looks like tomorrow may be another snow day as well! We are definitely having a winter like we used to have when I was a kid. Off to shovel and then do some work on my layout! Keep warm everyone!

Chuck

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-27-2014

Good morning all. Another nice day is store for here. Somehow I don't get it. The Super Bowl is set to be played in New Jersey this Sunday, right across from New York City. Not a bad spot to play, but In February????? Eek Not only that, but seats are selling for in the thousands, I heard some up to $50,000, for what, to sit in a frozen seat to watch a bunch of millionaires slipping and sliding in the snow? I saw pictures of them sweeping snow off the seats and using shovels and tractors to clear the snow off of the field, but there's not much they can do about the freezing cold.

On the other hand, the Phoenix Open golf tournament starts today with the final play on Sunday as well, and there's pictures in today's paper showing men mowing the grass and getting things ready for the start of play. There are thousands of folding chairs around, none of which has to be swept of anything but a bit of dust. Smile Oh, and admission is $30, first responders and military and one guest get in for free.

'nuff said, except that you must have to like football or golf an awful lot to go to either event at any price.... Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-27-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and +9 degrees. Detroit area
Yep more snow overnight, got it cleared but still out of breath.
No toy train news but as usual a nice evening chat with some of the guys.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 01-27-2014

ezdays Wrote:Somehow I don't get it. The Super Bowl is set to be played in New Jersey this Sunday, right across from New York City. Not a bad spot to play, but In February????? Eek Not only that, but seats are selling for in the thousands, I heard some up to $50,000, for what, to sit in a frozen seat to watch a bunch of millionaires slipping and sliding in the snow?
On the other hand, the Phoenix Open golf tournament starts today with the final play on Sunday as well, and there's pictures in today's paper showing men mowing the grass and getting things ready for the start of play. There are thousands of folding chairs around, none of which has to be swept of anything but a bit of dust. Smile Oh, and admission is $30, first responders and military and one guest get in for free.
'nuff said, except that you must have to like football or golf an awful lot to go to either event at any price.... Wink

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Hey, it's SPORTS :o 357 357
Sports? Nope Nope I got models to build, no time for "Gladiatorial Games", or freezing my "extremities" off, when I can enjoy the comforts of home, and get some modelbuilding done. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-27-2014

ezdays Wrote:Not only that, but seats are selling for in the thousands, I heard some up to $50,000, for what, to sit in a frozen seat to watch a bunch of millionaires slipping and sliding in the snow?
Part of the fun is feeling your butt go numb as the seat gets thawed out.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-27-2014

Sumpter250 Wrote:Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Hey, it's SPORTS :o 357 357
Sports? Nope Nope I got models to build, no time for "Gladiatorial Games", or freezing my "extremities" off, when I can enjoy the comforts of home, and get some modelbuilding done. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yeah, I have a friend that says to stay away from any sport where they use a ball that is round no matter how small it is. Cheers

Running Bear Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Not only that, but seats are selling for in the thousands, I heard some up to $50,000, for what, to sit in a frozen seat to watch a bunch of millionaires slipping and sliding in the snow?
Part of the fun is feeling your butt go numb as the seat gets thawed out.

I wonder what happens when you've been sitting there for a few hours, then have to go to the bathroom???? Eek

Let's see, I can get a premium seat at the Super Bowl for around $50,000 and freeze, or I could spend $30 for one here at the Phoenix Open and have to take my jacket off before noon.... Better yet, I can stay home and save it all and just watch them on TV if I'm so inclined. Misngth

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-27-2014

[Image: cond077.gif] Winter storm warning in effect from 6 AM Tuesday to 6 AM cst Wednesday.

Didn't do a whole lot today but then that's the point of doing nothing. The next few days aren't going to be pleasant. Low of 25 tonight with freezing rain, high 28 tomorrow with freezing rain/snow. Low tomorrow night of 15 with more snow. High Wednesday due to be 40 so not so bad, low Wednesday night of 22. I'm not looking forward to it.

The high point today was counting up donations received in the mail. Thank you to all who are helping with this emergency.

It's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P9200192.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-27-2014

Was 65 degrees in Pinetops NC this afternoon. At dark 62. By tomorrow night, forecasted inches of snow. Walked my legs off this day. Sometimes in dry soil, some in mud and some braking ice on top of big mud holes. Schools are already closed in Edgecombe Co. [where farms are] Strange.

Kev, stay warm. Don't over do it.

Windy and temps dropping. Now they are saying we have have inches by night fall tomorrow night. Meetings are being postponed. We'll see.

Tired. Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-28-2014

Good morning. Is it? It's 22° with 100% humidity. The high will be 35° but feel like 28°. Right now it feels like 11° out there. Sleet, freezing rain and snow are likely.
[Image: 2188b1f1-0992-4cfa-a6c2-66730c5d6ef5.gif]

No snow yet but we have plenty of ice for anybody who wants some. Take all you want.

I don't believe I'll be doing much today. It's a bit colder and wetter out there than I'd like. In fact I'd like a bright warm sunny day. Anybody got one they can send over? Freezing rain has everything covered in ice. No snow in sight but I expect it any time. Good thing there's no place I have to be.

[Image: P9190186.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chuck - 01-28-2014

Morning Blue! Another snow day! It is -8 and dropping, with a wind chill of -25. Brrrr, it is cold. I was able to figure out a way to get more traction on my little Athearn Hustler A A set. I re-motored it using an Athearn truck and a small Sagami can motor. It has power to only one axle, but electrical pick-up on the other three. It could barely pull itself around a curve. I was looking at using Frog Snot to add traction tires, but that stuff is expensive, and once opened, the product has a shelf life measured in months. Then it hit me-- use acrylic, clear caulk! I used water to thin it out, then used a soft brush to apply it while the wheels were turning. It took some experimenting, but I was able to get a nice smooth traction tire. That little engine can really pull now! I am quite pleased with the results. Now we'll see how the traction tire holds up....
I am going to tweak the decoder to get nice smooth starts and smooth low speed running. Here is an older pic at the Lansing Club:

[Image: trainpics035.jpg]

Stay warm!
Chuck

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-28-2014

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and another cold day in progress. Right now it's -9 headed for a high of +9. Tomorrow it's supposed to be about 32 and then on Thursday we're supposed to get a couple inches of snow. We've been hit hard with the cold weather but very little snow on the ground. Most of the snow has gone just to the east of us. In comparison, 4 years ago we received over 6 feet of snow.

Yesterday My Fair Lady settled on a new tub faucet and an order was placed. It should be here next week. Today we've been out and about. Made a quick trip to the grocery store for some essentials and other than a trip to the gym we should be able to remain indoors.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-28-2014

Good morning everyone. I see that a lot of you are going to be dealing with sub-sub zero temps. I cannot fathom something like -25 and even lower. Nope Now they're saying that there is a natural gas shortage in some places due to that pipeline explosion in Canada. I wish you all the best and will forgo my daily weather report from here just to be kind. Well, it's times like this that kind of makes me feel guilty about bragging about our weather here, but then comes the summers and things change.... Icon_lol

The best to you all that are in the middle of this new cold front.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-28-2014

That spray-on truck bed liner I used on the foil patch the other day is really tough stuff. NOT! I just went out to check the patch and the liner stuff is cracking and falling off. I'm never buying that brand again!

The snow is falling and already the ground is covered.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-28-2014

Morning. 32 degrees and falling. Icy air out. Snow due by middle of afternoon. Schools already closed all around. We have a three tier bus system. All three levels use the same buses [such a big school system]. So, when they waited for it to snow, fist buses OK, second level getting bad and last level was caught with bad secondary roads.

Will go to the store [Hunters Haven] for a few and then sit inside and look out the window at the fools trying to get home because they waited too late. Actually a lot of folks stayed home due to school being out. Normally 27,000 vehicles per day pass my house [be glad when the by-pass opens later this year].

Stay warm and dry.