The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-28-2014

Good Morning Blue
It was -9 at 7am. With bright sun we have soared to -5.
Detroit area
No new snow this morning. Nothing new from the train store.
30 days till March 1st. Yes I know March can be nasty but at least winter will be on our backside.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 01-28-2014

Running Bear Wrote:In fact I'd like a bright warm sunny day. Anybody got one they can send over?
OK, one, warm, sunny day,... coming right up Big Grin Big Grin

The ground floor of this home, was originally the summer cottage my parents owned, on Noyac Bay, on the North shore of the South fork of Eastern Long Island, N.Y. I spent a lot of Springs,there getting it ready for the Summer rental season, and Falls, cleaning it up, and closing it down for the Winter.
As I understand it, the original cottage was torn down and rebuilt,exactly, {{ long story..the second floor was designed before the need for a completely new foundation was discovered . the cottage "grew" a room at a time, each time with a different style foundation under each new section. }} with a single foundation.
Once the ground floor was rebuilt the construction continued with the addition of the second story. There used to be almost 70 feet of beach in front of the cottage, at high tide. The color change on the pilings shows the high tide line.( May 2013)

The bay water was bitter cold, but it was a warm and sunny day. The Atlantic ocean water on the South shore, 9.5 miles away was even colder !!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-28-2014

Didn't get much done today mostly due to the weather. Counted up a couple of donations that came in the mail and added them to the bank deposit that will be made in the near future. Got some straight EZ-Track in that was donated. It's black roadbed (steel rail). I need straight track for the spurs, well there it is. I have some nickel-silver EZ-Track coming that I'll use for the mainline. I traded an Athearn GP50 for it. Four 36" straights, three 9" straights, one 9" straight terminal rerailer and four short straight pieces that are probably 2" or 2.5". Seems like a good trade to me.

Tried starting my van. Either the battery is going bad or the starter is about shot. I cleaned the terminals and clamps really good and have the charger going on it now. It'll stay on it all night. It's one of those 'smart' chargers that cuts off when the battery is charged. Sometime tomorrow I'll go out and prime it and see if it starts. If not I may be looking for a halfway descent vehicle that I can get for a very good price or find one that's being given away. Beggars can't be choosers. But a vehicle is secondary. Right now my primary concern is getting my home situation sorted out.

Once again the weather tonight is gonna be disagreeable. Low of 19°. A 20% chance of snow/sleet. Storm snow accumulation up to 1". NE winds 5-10 mph. Wind chill 10° to 20°.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P9160140.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-28-2014

Good night all. 2+ inches of fine snow. Motorgraders and dump trucks with snow plows have been by numerous times. Warm inside. All stay warm and dry.

Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-29-2014

Good morning. It's 18° with 87% humidity. Wind chill 13°. High 38°. Sunny with some clouds.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Only plan today is to stay warm. I may lay down some track pieces to see how far the spur behind the //e computer can go. Later when the temp is in the 30's I'll go out and see if I can get my van started. No particular reason. I just want to see if it will.

[Image: DSCN1950.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-29-2014

Well I decided the heck with waiting. I went out and primed the vans carb with a little starter fluid and cranked it over. In just a few seconds it kicked over. The starter sounded good and strong. I let it idle for about ten minutes then shut it down. I took the charger off and put it away. Now it can sit until tomorrow morning when i go out to start it again. If it starts like it did this morning no problem. If not, if the battery is down, that will be a problem. Some of the $$ I've received recently will have to be used for a battery instead of fixing my home.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-29-2014

Morning all. Got 3 inches of snowhio. Street in front of house is not clear but down to pavement on all lanes. Down east [I 95 corridor is bad and east] where the farm is got several more inches. Dogs and cat don't like going out except Finn. He wants to romp and run in it. He doesn't get cold anyway with all that thick hair.

Think I'll get out and walk some. Need to. Wife baking sweets. Go to gro and Hardees for biscuits. Two blocks away. Going to cook a lot of deer sausage. Makes great breakfast biscuits.

KEV, I'm lucky compared to you. You keep getting piled on with not thaw. Wifey closed her office yesterday at 2 PM till tomorrow at noon.

Hope all are safe, warm and dry.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-29-2014

Good morning Blue
We have bright sun and +3 degrees.
No new snow in several days but more is expected before the week is over.
I haven't heard anything new from the train store so I guess Christmas must be over.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-29-2014

Good morning, a bit chilly outside right now, nothing compared to you guys fighting snow and wind though. Temps for the next few days will be pushing records if the forecasts are accurate. By Friday, things will plummet down to the low 70's, and by the end of next week they actually have rain in the forecast. I really hope that happens since it's been probably close to two months since we've seen any rain.

Traffic has been extremely heavy the past few days, it seems like people are driving like gas was 25 cents a gallon. It will only get worse when spring training starts in a few weeks and we get a ton of baseball fans to supplement the winter visitors that are already here. We live in an area surrounded by retirement communities and I think that about half those houses and RV spaces are occupied only in the winter. It must be nice to have a house and car back home and another one here, but a lot of folks do. There are time though that I wished we had a second home somewhere up north for us to go to in the summer, but that's not about to happen unless we hit the lottery or Uncle Sam quadruples our Social Security checks. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-29-2014

Good morning all,

-3 a little bit ago, need to go get some gas in truck and then on to the nutrition center. Work 1st shift Thursday.

Schools here have closed 2 days in a row due to temps and wind chill, not the snow. This is a real winter compared to the last few we have had. People here drive like idiots all year long Icon_lol

Ezdays,

Columbus has its seasonal population spike when the Buckeyes play home games and also when the quarter horse congress comes to town(State fairgrounds) we also have a spike when Arnold has his fitness show/convention.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-29-2014

My son Frankie at work [I call it play]. He is the one operating the remote control car he built for them.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://vimeo.com/84898227">http://vimeo.com/84898227</a><!-- m -->

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-30-2014

Good morning all, boy, it's been a quiet day here yesterday, nothing from RB since yesterday morning. Could it be that he's a victim of the weather? Snow, ice and freezing temps in areas that don't normally see that stuff. Typical day here weather-wise. They're saying we have a 10% chance of rain today, but it's going to be around 77, so I'll just write off the rain since I really doubt it will happen
AF350 Wrote:Ezdays,

Columbus has its seasonal population spike when the Buckeyes play home games and also when the quarter horse congress comes to town(State fairgrounds) we also have a spike when Arnold has his fitness show/convention.
Our spike here starts around early October and lasts until around May. The peak starts about now and won't go away until the end of March since Spring Training lasts about five weeks. I don't know if we should complain, it does help our economy, but still, getting around at times can be challenging. We had an early morning appointment the other day, and the "rush hour" traffic was a breeze compared to later on in the day. :o

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Phoenix Open being played this week. The news says that they are expecting around 500,000 people to attend. There are a lot of folks with private planes that fly in just for this, but a lot of them will be from our normal winter visitors and full-time residents.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-30-2014

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, very windy, snowy, and 34 degrees. The snow is insignificant. Just a brief snow squall as the front moved through. The winds is 21 gusting to 39 mph. High for today has already been reached. Temps will fall through the remainder of the day.

Yesterday we traveled to Ames to visit a friend who has been hospitalized. She should be home sometime next week. While we were there I picked up a new printer. I'm hoping to get one that lasts longer than the last one. It only lasted for 14 years. This one is a Brother and is almost a throw away. We priced the ink and to replace all the cartridges will cost ~$80 but I found a replacement set with two of each color and three black cartridges for $38 on line. That works out to less than $4 per cartridge.

Today's schedule of activities will include a trip to the gym and after lunch maybe some shop/train room cleaning.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-30-2014

Morning all. Cold and sunny. Warming to the 50's by weekend. Rain next week. Bang Head Send some to CA. They reported low of 8 degrees while standing by an outdoor thermometer showing 20. Confused. Said it was a -2 in Tarboro [near the farms]. My outside thermometer indicated 17. ????

Off to the Dr's ofc. for a visit to new cardiologist [female]. Old coot I was forced to take is the one that made me do test not needed. Wanted ins. money.

Highway in front of house is clear.

Atlanta was like we were several years ago. Everyone including DOT did not move until it started snowing and icing. Caused grid lock. Now we took early action and no problems.

KEV, you are going to run out of room to put all that snow. Wallbang

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-30-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have clouds and 19 degrees.
I sure hope that cold spell never comes back.
Granny and I went out for haircuts this morning and then right back home.
A nice chat with the guys last night. Two of them are working on new 3r layouts.
S.J.