The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-30-2014

Good morning. It's 35° with 48° humidity. The high will be 54° and cloudy.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg]

I was right in the middle of typing up a post last night when Win8 decided to go crazy. For no apparent reason it went into 'Refresh' mode and set everything back to 'day 1' status just as it was when I took the computer out of the box. Of course that dumped everything I had added on since then so for last night and this morning I've been downloading and installing everything I need. God, I hate Win8 with a passion! It's the worst piece of garbage Microsoft has shoved down our throats since Windows 95 Version A. Even Vista wasn't this bad.

Well yesterday I went to the bank and deposited the donations I've received thus far. Some of it was cash so I had immediate use of that. I went to Lowe's and got a couple of things I need to take the wall apart without ripping it down. I also got some spray foam to use in re-insulating the space. I got two cans of the 'Flex-Seal' rubberized spray to apply over the foam that's exposed to the weather. That should water-proof it nicely for now.

The used trailers I've looked at so far are mostly junk that need a lot of work. Roof work, floors that need to be replaced. Most need all or most of the plumbing and wiring redone. Factoring in the cost of removing the one I have right now and setting up the 'new' one I don't have near enough for that not to mention the cost of all the work I mentioned above. Unless I get a unit that's in fair condition for a very low price and free setup on site and removal of the old one my most affordable option is to rebuild what I have and that's still going to take a lot if not all of what I have in the bank at this time. Good materials aren't cheap and I'm not gonna use 'bargain basement' stuff. That'll just open another can of worms down the road.

[Image: DSCN1876.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-30-2014

I was outside today spraying the exposed foam filled seams with the 'Flex Seal' rubberized stuff you see advertised on TV. It coated the foam very well and soaked into the seams better than I thought it would. One location however where I sprayed just above a horizontal seam, the stuff didn't flow down over the seam. Uh-oh! I put my fingers up over the lip of the seam and they disappeared from view. An upward facing gap in the seam. It's about fourteen inches long and about an inch wide. Right off hand I'd say I found the source of my draft. I'm going to be spraying some foam into the gap between the inner and outer walls tomorrow so I'll go out and fill in that split seam as well. I wonder what other surprises I'm going to find. I already know from looking underneath that the frame rail at the left rear (under where my bed is) is bent. I'd love to bend my nephews head but he'd probably enjoy it.

Thank you to all who are contributing.

I received a long box today. Five inches by five inches by forty-two inches. It was full of nickel-silver Bachmann EZ-Track. Four thirty-six inch straight tracks, three nine inch straight tracks, one nine inch terminal rerailer straight track and four three inch straight tracks. I think that's well worth an Athearn GP50.

I spent much of the day working on the computer and I think I have last nights mess straightened out. I can't figure out why it went into 'refresh' mode but I hope it doesn't do it again.

Low tonight is supposed to be 38° and tomorrows high will be a warm 68°.

Well, seems like it's time to call it a night.

[Image: DSCN1810.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-30-2014

Good night all. New Cardiologist. Lady of course. Impressed her when she found out all of my Dr.s are women. Asked me why. Told her they made better Dr.s and seemed more attentive. Did find out I have a occasional heart flutter. Asked me if I felt it. "No." Said nothing to worry about.

Got up to the mid to high 30's. No problem getting around. Some secondary roads in poor shape in shaded areas. Schools out again tomorrow. That is due to refreeze tonight. Mid 50's tomorrow.

Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-31-2014

Good morning. It's 47° with 82% humidity and fog. The high will be 65° and cloudy.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg]

Looks like I'm gonna have to patch that open seam today. Weather data indicates that the rain will return tomorrow. Other than that there's nothing specific planned for today. I may set some track down later now that I have these thirty-six inch straight pieces to work with. The terminal rerailer will be placed right up front in front of the //e computer. Why? I just want it there.

[Image: DSCN6312.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - yellowlynn - 01-31-2014

Hey Chief, could that heart flutter be coming on because of those lady doctors? Nope

Lynn

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-31-2014

Good morning everyone. A bit cloudy, but in the low 60's right now. One forecast calls for rain, yet another doesn't. You would think that all these weather people would be reading off the same page.

The Phoenix Open (which incidentally is played in Scottsdale, not Phoenix :o ) pulled in close to 90,000 fans on the first day of play yesterday. Some of them had to wait a good two hours just to get into the parking lot. Sad I guess this is one reason why I'm not that interested in sports. They say that the cheapest Super Bowl ticket face value is $1,000, but scalpers are selling them for hundreds less because of the weather. I'm wondering just how someone feels after spending thousands on tickets and transportation, that they could have watched it in the warm comfort of the own home or local bar rather than the freezing cold of the stadium. I also wonder what the parking situation is like there. Yet another reason why I'm not that interested in sports. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-31-2014

Morning all. Sunny and warming fast. Going to 50. Then going to 60's. Up and down and up again. Yankee white stuff melting fast. Not much happening today. May get boys [they are at the store, Hunters Haven] and do Train Box stuff. Wifey babysitting her Great Niece.

yellowlynn Wrote:Hey Chief, could that heart flutter be coming on because of those lady doctors? Nope

Lynn

I wish. Thumbsup

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-31-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have overcast and 32 degrees.
Warmest it's been in weeks.
Won't last long but I will take it.
No news from the train store.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-31-2014

Filled the split horizontal seam on the outside wall of my bedroom. I left some room for the foam to expand and fill the gap. I also filled in a gap in the northwest corner of my bedroom. This is where the wall that fronts onto the bedroom and bathroom meets the outer wall. The gap was about an inch wide and ran from just above the floor to just below the ceiling. A spider had already moved in and set up housekeeping. It's now forever entombed in the foam. Guess what. No more draft! I still have some foam to pump into the wall but it won't be done today.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-31-2014

Evening all. Spent all afternoon and until 6:30 in Train Box with the Grandboys. Ran trains and fixed a diesel smoke unit. Had fun. BTW: high 50's today. 60's by Sunday. Thumbsup Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chuck - 01-31-2014

Wow. Six snow days in a row! We have not had school since last Thursday. The back roads keep drifting over and now we have another 10" on the way! Driving down some of the roads is almost like driving in a tunnel -- the snow banks on either side are over 8 feet tall. The good side to this is I have been getting a lot of little projects done on my layout!

Chuck

Aside from doing some crude patch work on the trailer I also set down some track on the layout so I can see how much I need to adjust it. Where the main line comes from the north end of the layout to the south end I set in a six foot long straight. It lacks about two inches of going from curve to curve. I also set in a short straight (eighteen inches) on the return side of the main where it goes from a turnout back to the north end of the layout. Looks like I might have to knock an inch or two off that one. Then I set a twenty-seven inch long spur in behind the //e computer. It's not much but at least I can say I worked on the layout this week.

Well it looks like it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN6324.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6318.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6054.jpg]

Staying above freezing. Cheers Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-01-2014

Good morning all, I hope you're having a pleasant weekend. Try to stay warm everyone... well, except those in the lower hemisphere who are probably toasty warm to begin with and need to stay cool.

It's 6AM and right at 50°. After weeks of above average temps, we're looking at highs in the mid-60's and below average. I still get confused with the rain reports though. Yeah, we did have rain turning to snow in the evening yesterday.... up in Flagstaff that is :o .... Nothing down here. This coming week, the rainy days depends on which forecaster you listen to. This week it will be chilly here mostly because it did snow up north. Still, it's good for the Phoenix Open golf tournament since they've had years where play has been delayed because of early morning frost, or rescheduled because of rain. Not this year. Nope , well, that depends on whose forecast you believe in. Icon_lol