The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 02-18-2014

I've been working behind the scenes on some train and computer stuff Smile I decided to buy 1/2 a computer from my nephew and build a faster system with Win7 because windows will stop supporting XP in April Sad I transferred the hard dives from the old computer "visited" e-bay and got more memory and a 600W power supply.

Got a 1Terabyte Hard drive to add on and now I'm arguing with all the pop-up ads Wallbang I'm still working on IE and Chrome and Mozilla to block all the ads, but they are relentless.. Shoot

So, After 3 or 4 days of rearranging and deleting old stuff, the computer is getting better every day Smile It's running a bit faster than the old one too....

Old computer - Win XP, 2 G RAM, 400W Power Supply, Asus 1 Core CPU, integrated Video
New computer - Win 7, 2 G RAM. 600W Power Supply, Asus Quad Core CPU, Nvidia Graphics Card HD with 2 Gig memory

On the trains... a friend & I have been building a Civil War Cannon car... I'll be posting pics in the near future Smile Smile

Jeffrey - The Apple looks Great!! Smile Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-18-2014

Afternoon. Sunny and warmer. Rushing around.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-18-2014

Good afternoon all, well barely since it's just a few minutes after noon. Temps right now are sitting at 80, we've had record highs for the past few days an probably yet another one today. I hope this isn't an indication of what it's going to be like this coming summer. February should be a wet month for us, but so far we've had no rain this year and there's none in the forecast. I'm hoping this changes since on a good year we still only get around 8 to 10" all year. It looks like we're in for another very hot and very dry year....
Still, as the saying goes around here, "you don't have to shovel sunshine". 2285_ 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 02-18-2014

ngauger Wrote:Jeffrey - The Apple looks Great!! Smile Smile
Thanks. It took quite a bit of work to get it to that point. I had quite a time getting the cobwebs, dust bunnies and spiders out of the new case then gave it a good wash to get the dirt and dust off it.

Good luck with your computer project. Many of my pc's were home builds. The HP I'm using now is the first 'store bought' computer I've had since 1992.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-18-2014

Running Bear Wrote:
ngauger Wrote:Jeffrey - The Apple looks Great!! Smile Smile
Thanks. It took quite a bit of work to get it to that point. I had quite a time getting the cobwebs, dust bunnies and spiders out of the new case then gave it a good wash to get the dirt and dust off it.

Good luck with your computer project. Many of my pc's were home builds. The HP I'm using now is the first 'store bought' computer I've had since 1992.
Building from scratch with new parts is one thing, building, or re-building with parts and pieces like you are is another. I've done a few from scratch and have done some rebuilding, but these past few years, computers have been selling so cheap, you can buy one that does the job already built cheaper than you can build from individual parts. Yeah, not too many //e's on the shelf anymore, but with your efforts, who knows, there may be a resurgence. Worship

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 02-18-2014

Evening all been a interesting day but all is done just had some running around. Seems I had sign up for the V.A. to withdraw a payback to them thru my pay check with a bi weekly deduction well all was fine except two things 1st I retired 2nd when I became over 50% disabled because of my time in service and things that happened there so all my meds are now free and my dr. visits are also they had to back track to where I first applied well they did that to the bill but no-one told the payroll department the amount still owed is a lot less than it was so they took what they thought was still due so it shorted me almost $300 on my last check now I need to give them about to mid April to get it back to me. Had to run to credit union to get some papers notarized and also had a DR. appointment at the V>a> so it was a busy afternoon.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 02-18-2014

ezdays Wrote:Yeah, not too many //e's on the shelf anymore, but with your efforts, who knows, there may be a resurgence. Worship
[/quote]
I have a very small start on that. I only have six. Four work and two are parts sources. Of the four, three are model A2S2064 and one is a model A2S2128. One of the parts computers is an A2S2064 and the other is an A2S2128.

Well not much went on today. I spread a thin film of Go2Glue across the front of my //e's case just below the front edge of the keyboard, right where my hands would rest. This will serve as anti-wear surface protection. I already know it works. I used it on my //e that I had set up at my father place. After six months of use the film hasn't shown any signs of wear. My primary concern is to keep the oils on my hands from discoloring the platinum color of the case.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN3556.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 02-19-2014

Good very early morning all.

We are supposed to have some severe thunderstorms and high winds by Thursday and then another blast of artic air soon after.

Latest issue of OGR(O gauge railroading) came in the mail Tuesday just as I was leaving for work.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-19-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have cloudy skies and 35 degrees.
Need sun to melt snow though.
I did a little more work on the layout yesterday evening and very close to having everything running again.
Today will be the same, a little time each day is showing progress.
Happy Hump Day
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-19-2014

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 32 outside my window this morning. High for today is predicted to be in the upper 40s. A blizzard warning has been posted for tomorrow. Rain first then changing over to snow with 4-8 inches and winds up to 35 mph. The rain will hit the ground and freeze so we'll have all that snow on top of a nice sheet of ice. Needless to say I'm not planning any outdoor activities for tomorrow.

My Fair Lady and I have been to breakfast and the grocery store, stocking up on essentials for the blizzard. Next up will be a trip to the gym. This afternoon's agenda is still open.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 02-19-2014

Morning blue guess since its going to be in the upper 70's today I need to go out and start raking the left over pine needles and the leaves out of the back yard and get them bagged up. So the trash men can come and get them. won't take from end of drive anymore unless there bagged.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 02-19-2014

rtraincollector Wrote:I need to go out and start raking the left over pine needles and the leaves out of the back yard and get them bagged up. So the trash men can come and get them. won't take from end of drive anymore unless there bagged.
There are some advantages to living in a rural area. Out here we just burn them.

Good morning. It's 66° with 90% humidity. The high will be 78° and cloudy.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg]

Not much planned for today. My joints are stiff and sore for some reason. Maybe just taking it easy would be the best thing.

[Image: DSCN3499.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3474.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3236.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-19-2014

Afternoon all. Another busy day. Off to 99 cent red hotdog day at Rolesville Grill. Then meting after haircut. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 02-19-2014

Warning! This post contains computer geek content!

Well I had me some fun today. Using the keyboard from the junk computer I took apart the other day and the old case from my A2S2128 //e (remember the hockey puck?) and the base, motherboard and power supply from my rebuilt silver A2S2064 //e school computer and converted the A2S2064 into a fully functional A2S2128. I wasn't sure if the different keyboards were compatible so I did a pin-out check on them and they have the exact same pin assignments. Still I held my breath when I put power to the completed computer for it's bench test. It works perfectly! The keyboard I had thought to be bad simply had a bad case of dust contamination. A good cleaning solved that problem. So I now have two working A2S2064 //e's (Apple codename 'Diana' , one with a Mostech 6502 processor and one with a GTE G65SC02) representing two variations of the //e (][e and IIe) and two working A2S2128's (Apple codename 'LCA', one with a GTE G65SC02 processor and one with a Sierra designed GTE G65SC02 processor) also representing two variations (//e with extended keyboard and //e Platinum). The Platinum is virtually identical to the extended version except for the color. However both of mine are platinum colored.

I got so caught up in the work on the computers today that I didn't realize my blood sugar had fallen to a dangerous level. I didn't notice anything amiss until I couldn't focus on whatever I was looking at. Checked the level and it was at 54. So I had a high starch meal to get the level back up then took my evening meds minus the pill I take for my diabetes. No insulin injection tonight.

I often wondered if the 2064 and 2128 keyboards were compatible. Now that I know they are that's another cat satisfied.

As I wasn't doing any work that required steady hands it didn't matter much that mine were still a bit shaky. If I'd been working with tiny screws or doing any soldering I would've had to leave it for another day. Maybe I should've, looking at what almost happened.

Oh well. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN3463.jpg]