The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 03-11-2014

Today I took apart an old Apple DuoDisk floppy drive. As the name implies it's two disk drives in one housing. These things were never great sellers as they were notorious for having problems. Mine is no exception. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it didn't. I examined it closely and found that most of the problems stemmed from corrosion. A major cleanup ensued. Now it worked right most of the time. After tightening some connections and making a few adjustments I got it working properly ... for now. I've never been a fan of the DuoDisk drive or the UniDisk drive. The shells break easily, eject mechanisms jam, they're noisy and in my opinion the plugs on them are clumsy and clunky and in the case of the DuoDisk break down easily.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 03-11-2014

Nothing much went on today. I spent part of the day ironing the bugs out of an old Apple DuoDisk disk drive then later I made inventory tags for each of my operational Apple systems. The one on my //e 2128 is in the photo below. I know you can't make heads or tails of it so I'll read it off.

128k = Amount of memory.
G65SC02 = Processor.
X104 X3 = three 650-X104 drive controllers.
CP/m = CP/m Coprocessor.
J = 16-pin external joystick port.
Disk ][ X5 = Five Disk II type disk drives.
SD1 = One SD card reader/disk drive emulator.

[Image: DSCN3420.jpg]

Well that's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010239.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 03-11-2014

It was a warm 67 Tuesday and was still warm at 11:30 when I got off from work, However today by noon may see a rain/snow mix.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-12-2014

Good Morning Blue
Blowing snow and 30 degrees.
Looks like it's going to be a big one.
No plans, I'm staying in till it's over.
Then 2 Advil and out to clear the walk/driveway once again.
No train news.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 03-12-2014

Good morning. It's 52° with 81% humidity. The high will be 65° with a few clouds. A wind advisory is in effect until 7pm. 20mph sustained with gusts in excess of 30mph.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Nothing on the schedule today. No telling what may come up though.

[Image: P1010230.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 03-12-2014

Morning all. Been watching DVR'd shows I missed while gone. Cloudy and showers soon but warm. Temps dropping for a few days.

Prayers for you Yanks and more SNOW. Sorry.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-12-2014

Greetings, gang.

Sunny, windy and 55 here in the deep south this morning. Son and family are at work/school. My fair Lady is sewing a costume for granddaughter and I am currently at loose ends. Kids have work/school until Friday so I have a couple days to kill. May head up to Papa Ben's train store.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-12-2014

Good morning. Mid-morning here and 74 so far. No records in store, but it will be pushing 90 by this weekend. That'll be nice since I plan on going out to do some target shooting on Saturday. Been to Walmart several times this week, no ammo deliveries so far. "Maybe tomorrow" says the clerk. Things loosened up for a while, but ammo is tough to come by again, especially .22. I wonder where all the ammo production is going????? Curse Those of us who simply want to shoot for recreation and maybe just protect ourselves just don't stand a chance. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 03-12-2014

Not much happened today. Took one of the old Apples apart. Pulled the chips and cleaned the legs and sockets then reinstalled everything, hooked it up and tested it. A-OK! Thing about doing a thorough cleaning like that is all those chips suddenly seem to have a bazillion legs! Cleaning the holes in the sockets is easy with a pipe cleaner and alcohol. This one really needed the cleaning as it had a case of light rust going.

Copied some programs from the Apple Mega-ROM file on my PC to an SD card then copied them to floppy disks on the //e.

Other than that it was a pretty quiet day except for the wind blowing outside. Sounded like some gusts reached 40mph.

Time to call it a night. See y'all in the am. I got a doc appointment in the afternoon.

[Image: P1010326.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 03-13-2014

Good morning. It's 34° with 97% humidity. The high will be 65°.
[Image: condsunny-1.jpg]

Nothing planned for this morning. Got a doc appointment to go to this afternoon so that's the afternoon shot.

[Image: DSCN3421.jpg]

[Image: P1010335.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-13-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 8 degrees
Yesterdays storm left about 6 to 8 inches of heavy snow with big drifts from a north wind.
Our oldest son came and helped me clear it out but my back is sore.
So it will be another lazy day for me.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-13-2014

Good morning all, another nice day in store for us here. I do sympathize with all you folks still shoveling snow. As for us here, we're still paying the price of bad weather elsewhere. Trying to find a parking space at the Post Office or grocery stores is a difficult task :cry: , I guess our friends down in Florida are faced with the same predicament until the weather lets up in the Midwest and back East. Bless all those that can afford to come here every winter, they do help support our economy, it's just that I would wish that they did their shopping around midnight when the rest of us are fast asleep. Icon_lol

One place that's easy to park at now is... Target... Yeah, I understand that is a problem all over the country. One thing I don't understand is why any store keeps your credit card data for any length of time. Once the transaction clears the bank, they should delete all that information since the next time you go, you need to scan you card again anyway. This practice seems to be prevalent everywhere. I guess it's handy when you return something, but they need a better way to handle things rather than exposing millions of people to credit card fraud. Curse

Enough soapbox rhetoric for one day.... Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 03-13-2014

Afternoon. Sunny and chilly. Cooked up sausage and egg biscuits for breakfast and more in frig for tomorrow. Washed sheets for Wifey and cleaned kitchen. No to do some of my "stuff".

Sir J, MUSH MUSH hope it melts down soon.

Hope the weather breaks for those getting more snow.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 03-13-2014

Good report from the doc. I'm in excellent health for someone in my condition. Van didn't want to start for the return trip so I had to take the doghouse off so I could open the air filter and spray a bunch of starter fluid down the carb. I then held the gas pedal to the floor and crank it over a few times before the engine roared to life. A few minutes to put everything back together and I was headed for home. Took time to get some gas, left the engine running while I did that. Got home from there without incident.

Well you already know most of what I did today. Only things I can add are that I won three pinball games (fifty million or more points scored, one went over one hundred million) and I won another game of Starfleet1.

Weathers gonna be good tonight and tomorrow. Low 40's and clear tonight. Upper 60's and partly cloudy tomorrow. However it'll start raining again tomorrow night and it looks like it's going to rain all weekend and into Monday. YUCK!

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010281.jpg]

Defender. No control, need joystick to play it.
[Image: DSCN3429.jpg]

Looks like something that's trying to find New Vertiform City.
[Image: DSCN3431.jpg]