The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-16-2014

I just got some bad news. My father has been taken to the ER after losing consciousness. Nobody knows yet what may be wrong. A CT scan failed to show any bleeding areas in the brain so a stroke has been ruled out for now. It's thought it may be some kind of palsy. He's being transported from the Fort Polk ER to St Francis Cabrini in Alexandria at this time. More news as I get it.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-16-2014

Running Bear Wrote:I just got some bad news. My father has been taken to the ER after losing consciousness. Nobody knows yet what may be wrong. A CT scan failed to show any bleeding areas in the brain so a stroke has been ruled out for now. It's thought it may be some kind of palsy. He's being transported from the Fort Polk ER to St Francis Cabrini in Alexandria at this time. More news as I get it.

Keep up posted please. Our prayers for your father, you and the rest of your family. it seems like when it rains, it pours.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-16-2014

No further news so far. A CAT scan at Cabrini came up clear. There's no bleeding in his head. Still they're no closer to an answer than they were before.

Life goes on for me. I have to change the dressing on my foot tomorrow morning. Got a doc appointment tomorrow afternoon. So far that's the only things on my schedule. The decoders are on their way. As far as I know the box of computer parts hasn't shipped yet.

That's all for tonight. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P9160140.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1730.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3506.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 04-17-2014

I can't add anything to what Don said.... Prayers your way RB....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-17-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have bright sun and 36 degrees.
60 later, they say.
Just checkin in this morning.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-17-2014

Good morning everyone. Nice day in store for here. Temps in the mid-90's today, high 80's tomorrow. I think one of the TV weather people called that a "Cold Front"... They're still battling a few wildfires up north and to the south. We've had a dry winter and so things are tinder-dry in the forest areas, and even in the desert. No, our desert areas are not like the Gobi Desert, all sand, there is a lot of vegetation, cactus, trees, brush and the likes and sometimes the fires there are as devastating as they are in the forests. They think that a couple of these fires have been started intentionally. It's bad enough when they are started by lightning strikes or accidentally, but by arson.... really, really bad.

RB, I they find the cause of your father's problems quickly and that things are starting to turn around for you. The same goes to you Tom and your family.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-17-2014

Good morning. It's 53° with 88% humidity. The high will be 72°. Cloudy with a small chance of rain.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

No news yet on my fathers condition. In a way at this point no news is good news. My stepmother however is about to worry herself into a fingernail chewing frenzy. My point of view is whatever happens happens. Nothing I say or do is going to change that. Sure I'm worried about him, I'd be crazy not to be but there's nothing I can do other than hope and pray he recovers from this. My worst fear though is that he may end up bedridden for the rest of his life however long or short that may be.

I've decided to hold off on changing the dressing on my foot until after I've seen the doc. He's just going to unwrap it anyway.

My DH126D decoders have started their journey from New Jersey. The box of computer parts has started out from Lawrence, New York.

[Image: DSCN1669.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-17-2014

Got a report on my father. Looks like he has Bell's Palsy. My step mother will be driving him home from Alexandria tomorrow. He may have to wear a patch over one eye for a while till it starts working work again. Bell's Palsy can last a week, a month, maybe a year or more. Now, here's the irritating part. They didn't have him in a room until about 4 O:clock this morning and it seemed like there was no doctor around. The nurses kept running the same tests and scans over and over even though they already knew they'd be negative. My niece got tired of it and got on the phone to their legal people, told them what was happening then told them to get off their butts, get him in a room, get a doctor in there NOW or on Monday the name of the hospital would be changed from St Francis Cabrini to St William Wimberly. Within twenty minutes he was in a room and a doctor was examining him inside of another ten minutes! I knew she can get wicked but wow!

Speaking of my father, I spoke with him a little while ago. He's in good spirits and looking forward to going back to work. I heard my step mother in the background shouting 'Oh no you don't! You're grounded!'.

Went to my doc appointment this afternoon. He looked at my foot and marveled at the canyon that's where my big toe and part of my foot used to be. He then sent a nurse in to redress the wound. She had no idea of where to begin or how to do it. So I had to teach her. Turned out they had no saline on the premises. No problem. We'd do a dry dressing. They didn't have the proper bandages so we did it with 4x4 gauze pads and coban wrap. Got that done and was ready to leave. My van wouldn't start. Little wonder. The battery has a bad cell so it only has about ten seconds of good cranking power on a good day. After that there's not enough power to curl a gnat hair. Took me over two hours to find someone to help jump it off. Then one of the battery connections went away. I just cleaned those things last month! Pulled the clamps and cleaned the posts and clamps. Had the battery continually charging from the booster battery during this time except when I cleaned the posts. Put all that back together. Tried it again. Cranked over twice then the starter connection went away. Had to pull that off, clean it and put it back in place. Tried it again. Fusible link to the coil went away. I fixed that then tried again. CLICK! About this time I looked heavenward and shouted 'GIVE ME A BREAK'! Tried again and it fired right over! By this time I was worn out, hungry and getting dizzy from a lack of blood sugar. I had to get something to eat and drink or they'd have to jump me off. I left the van running and went next door to Fox's pizza and had a very small taco pizza and a small Dr Pepper. While there a bunch of teenage girls waiting on their mother to come from the docs office were continually throwing open the car doors and hitting the side of my van. I went over and told their mother about it and she didn't seem to care. I then told her what hitting thick steel was doing to HER cars doors and how much the paint was going to cost. She got real excited then and went out and lit into them. Feeling much better now I drove home. This weekend I'm cleaning every electrical connection in the ignition line to within an inch of it's life and tightening them till Ft Knox grunts! Then I'm petitioning my father for a NEW battery! Failing that I'll buy one with some of the home repair money.

Well, Vernon Home Health will be by in the morning (I hope. Their schedule leaves much to be desired). They apparently have a wound vac for me. That'll speed up the healing a bit.

My father will be home tomorrow. I wonder how long my step mother will be able to keep his breeches nailed to the floor and bar him from going out the door. Probably not long. He's past the point of being a stubborn old goat. He's somewhere between old goat and immovable mule.

Decoders and computer parts are getting closer each day. Looking like the 21st for the decoders and the 22nd for the parts.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1700.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-18-2014

Good morning all, today is not only the end of the workweek for most, it is Good Friday, a very holy day for many Christians.

RB, glad it's not more serious for your father. I have a friend who had Bell's Palsy and he made a full recovery in a few months. I guess the symptoms do resemble a stroke though, so it does require a bit of diagnosing to to determine which it is. Good luck on keeping him down, but I'm not sure that it requires a lot of rest so maybe being active is good. Just my thoughts on the subject.

We're in for a pleasant week of near normal temps. No rain in the forecast, well, except the one TV channel that says there is a 10% chance today and tomorrow. The Weather Channel just says it'll be a bit cloudy. Big difference. I see where the snow plows are running again in the Midwest states. Good luck there.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-18-2014

Good morning. It's 55° with 100% humidity. The high will be 75°. Cloudy with some rain.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

Supposed to be getting a call from Home Health this morning letting me know when they'll be coming out. Apparently they have a wound vac for me and I know they'll be wanting to put that thing on me. I hope it's not like the one the rehab hospital had on me. That darn thing sounded like someone was continually trying to crank a chain saw! Very annoying! I had to wear a wound vac many years ago. That one was very quiet and I'm hoping this new one is that quiet. I also hope the Home Health people know more about putting the dressings on than they did then. I almost always had to redo them after the nurse left because the seal would blow out.

Time to get on with my day. Blood sugar is 69 so I gotta get that up.

[Image: DSCN1703.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-18-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have clouds and 50 degrees
York week is getting close so a trip to the foot doctor this morning.
I got a shot in my right foot hoping that all the walking next week will be a little more comfortable.
A short but pleasant chat with Charlie, and then Joe in Japan last night.
Yep we did talk about toy trains.
A Good Friday service at noon then a potluck lunch after will be my big event for the day.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 04-18-2014

Afternoon all. Been a slow day just didn't have much to do today. Hope all are doing well today. Hope your father made it home today RB.
Well tomorrow will be a day at the flea market as I will be closed Sunday as its Easter. Need to take some more recent pics and need to get a website up. guess I need to work on the latter real soon. Just not that knowledgeable about things like that. But sure it will help once I do.
Talk to you all later just a quick stop by hope all doing well prayers for all

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-18-2014

Meet my new best friend. We'll be going just about everywhere together.

[Image: DSCN3527.jpg]

It's my wound vac. It'll pull any drainage out of my toe amputation wound so it'll heal faster. We're gonna be together a while.

My project for today was an act of resurrecting the dead. In this case it's a Lima CN Hustler I got from another modeler. I originally thought the motor was dead but a good bath in CRC 2-26 cleaned it up and I got it working. However it wouldn't run when placed on the tracks. Further investigating revealed a bad connection on one of the pickup strips. I corrected this little problem and it runs great now. It's four wheel pickup and four wheel drive which is a bit of an advantage over it's Athearn cousin. It runs good at slow speed and on high goes like a bat outta he!!. I just might stick a decoder in this thing and keep it for myself.

[Image: DSCN3534.jpg]