The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-20-2014

Well, my knee is still quite sore and probably will be into tomorrow. After today's activity I deserve that.

Home Health nurse comes tomorrow and hopefully will be able to find the problem with the wound vac.

[Image: P6030418.jpg]

[Image: P5270362.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 04-20-2014

Update on DTI Caboose/flat, I found the missing caboose cabin on line will order it in the morning 2285_ 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 04-20-2014

BR60103 Wrote:AF: I think the coil coupler is activated using the extra rails on the uncoupling track, but with the "uncouple" button, not the "unload". There should be a shoe on the bottom that contacts this.

(Now to be thoroughly abused by the Lionel experts.)

I thought that may be the case as it did have a shoe on the locomotive.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-21-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 51 degrees.
70s yesterday and today.
A fine Easter Sunday with our kids, Like always more food than needed.
No train news this morning.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-21-2014

Good morning all, I hope your Easter Sunday went well. Ours was quiet for sure, just the two of us and not a trace of Easter candy in sight. Hey, maybe today when everyone has their 50% off on what's left in the stores....

Nice clear day in store, we'll be pushing 100, ten degrees above normal, but still no record. It was 104 on this day two years ago. Warm, but tolerable. Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-21-2014

Good morning. It's 66° with 74% humidity and fog. The high will be 82° and cloudy.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg]

I'm expecting a visit from the Home Health nurse sometime today. Other than that there's nothing going on.

[Image: P5200344.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-21-2014

Home health nurse came today. The wound vac was checked. A problem was found and dealt with. It's working great now and it's hanging from my shoulder like some monkey I can't get rid of. It also throws off what little control I have over my balance. Oh well. Tested another of the recently obtained computer cards today. I mean, really put it through it's paces. It's a drive controller card and handled everything I threw at it. Out of the whole bunch only one has a problem and it's minor. Changing out one of the prom chips should fix it. I modified another card, an 80 column RAM card so it can only be used on the later Apple IIe's (1985 and up). I permanently locked it to double high/low res graphics. It'll work on earlier models but if a double high/low res command is encountered the computers ROM chip won't recognize it and it'll create an error. No big thing. I feel better today than I did yesterday. All that activity had me hurting. Tomorrow should be a quiet day. I'm expecting a friend to bring me his Apple IIc computer. It's throwing error messages at him. Drive probably needs to be cleaned good. A cleaning disk can only do so much. Nothing to it. I can take it apart and clean it while I watch a movie.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1427.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1281.jpg]

[Image: P5070329.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-22-2014

Morning. Sunny and warm. Meetings and opening of new private high school. The Town Board. Hope to end it early so I will hit the road to hunting camper for a turkey hunt tomorrow.

Hope all are doing OK.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-22-2014

And a good Tuesday morning to you all. Temps have been a bit above normal, still pushing 100, but things are looking to be normal for the next ten days or so, well, except Saturday, where we either have a misprint or we will be around 77, a good 12 degrees below normal. Go figure.... Icon_lol

Just in case you hadn't noticed, we've started a new auction, a coffee mug signed by ngauger and myself. Some might consider that as graffiti, but I'm sure the mug can be wiped clean if you don't want it to be unique. :cry: Why just us? Well, the cost of sending it around to all our staff would have made more expense than we'd hope to get back out of it, so you'll have to settle for the admins and be happy that we were able to do that... Misngth Misngth The auction is being held here. Please, bid early and bid high, all the proceeds will go to running Big Blue.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-22-2014

Good morning. It's 66° with 94% humidity. The high will be 82° an cloudy with a small chance of rain.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

A little while ago a friend of mine stopped by on his way to work. He left his Apple IIc computer for me to fix. I've looked at it and determined it's disk drive needs more than a cleaning. The read/write head needs to be replaced. No biggie. I have the part in question and the work won't take any longer than a cleaning. It's an easy job I can do while watching 'The Train'.

Other than the above I'll be doing very little today. The busiest I'm likely to be is soldering a 9-pin DCC plug into a Lima Hustler switcher.

[Image: DSCN3534.jpg]

A recent project involved installing Digitrax DH126 decoders in two repowered Varney F3A locos. One such is pictured below.

[Image: DSCN3543.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 04-22-2014

Did the wiring work on the Lima Hustler to install a 9-pin DCC plug for motor control. It'll eventually have it's own DH126 decoder. For now I borrowed one from one of the Varney F3's. The speed table will have to be set for switcher for sure. On the default setting this thing will almost fly. Add wings and it probably would.

[Image: DSCN3547.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3549.jpg]

Warning! Contains geek content!

Got my friends Apple IIc opened up and the problem is a little more technical than I thought. The read/write head in the disk drive checks out as good. However it's position is off by two or three degrees. It was dead-on the last time I worked on it and there's nothing wrong with my work. Only two things can account for this part being out of adjustment. #1, the user tried aligning it but I can't see that as he's not a computer geek, not even electronically inclined. #2, it was dropped which I consider likely as there's a small crack on one corner of the case. It wasn't there the last time. Still, it's no problem. I can have the computer on with the diagnostic program running while I readjust the head azimuth to true. What makes that slightly interesting is the program disk can't be in the drive while I'm making the physical adjustments yet the program needs to be running. That's the wonderful thing about small programs. They can be resident in memory. No disk required after loading. Where it gets interesting is when the disk is put in and the drive door is closed. The rough position indicator vanishes from the screen and is replaced by a pair of precise position markers. As I slowly turn a screw on the control board a dot on the screen will get closer to or further away from a horizontal or vertical azimuth marker on the screen depending on which of the two screws I'm turning at the time. In the end the two '+' marks should be lined up on the single '-' mark. And since I've been typing this with one hand and making adjustments with the other hand I'm finished. It's done. The drive is aligned as close to perfect as I can get it. The only way I could get it maybe a fraction of a degree closer is with an oscilloscope, which I don't have. I'm running the test program now and it indicates the drive is within factory parameters. Am I good or what?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 04-22-2014

As I was reading that ^^^ I was thinking - "I wonder how long that takes?" Smile

I guess I know now Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Good work RB!!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thanks. It took a bit longer because I was using one hand. It usually takes a minute or two less.