The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-06-2014

Good Morning Blue
We actually have sun this morning.
temp is 45
A trip to a hobby shop and then a train only store yesterday got me going I guess.
I just bought some parts but it got me working on an MPC dual motor F3 that had a broken decorative horn.
Tore it down and gave it a lube job and new brushes. Runs like a new one.

Tom good news for your wife, I hope it always will be
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-06-2014

Good morning everyone, I hope you day is full of good things.... 2285_ Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and around here that's a big deal. Just like on St. Patrick's Day where most people pretend they're Irish, May 5th is a chance for a lot of people to jump in on the celebration. As with on St. Patrick's Day and New Years Eve, the police are out in force looking for tipsy drivers, and the TV news always reports the statistics on how many were arrested for DUI and how many of those were "Extreme DUI". Confusedhock: The numbers are staggering and into the hundreds. The cost of a DUI is also staggering, many thousands of dollars. It's just not worth the risk. Nope For us, those are all days we stay home. Big Grin

Tom, good to hear the good things about you wife and hope things continue that way. Thumbsup

You guys have been talking about old printers, I hate to think about what our first dot matrix printer cost, but I do remember paying $1250 for our first laser printer. Sad I haven't a clue as to what we did with either one, but the last one I bought about five years ago was under $100 and does everything that the old one did and it is still going strong. However, we don't like to discuss the cost of cartridges, new or refilled, they still cost more than the printer did. Wallbang

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 05-06-2014

Good morning all.

ezdays Wrote:You guys have been talking about old printers, I hate to think about what our first dot matrix printer cost, but I do remember paying $1250 for our first laser printer. Sad I haven't a clue as to what we did with either one, but the last one I bought about five years ago was under $100 and does everything that the old one did and it is still going strong. However, we don't like to discuss the cost of cartridges, new or refilled, they still cost more than the printer did. Wallbang

Way back when I was a copier technician(production not field service)we made the most on customer consumables like tonner and ink and some times paper. It is pretty much industry wide that the consumables is where the profit comes from.

13 years work experience as an electronic technician 5 of which were as a copier tech the rest was as a industrial controls technician both production, repair and once in a great while field service. 2 years as a bindery tech(print shop helper) 1 year as a microfilm camera operator and twice I was an IT assistant as a part time/temporary rebuilding pc's for a agency that helps disabled people find jobs. The pc's were donated and went to "clients" after they had completed a job readiness coarse. Then budget cuts came and that program was cut out Icon_lol And now it has almost been a year at a newspaper in the production department(I feed a machine ads for Sunday papers)the machine is like a giant collator and inserts the adds into a jacket(here it is the Sunday comics ).

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-06-2014

Good morning. It's 71° with 65% humidity. The high will be 85° with a few clouds.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Already been busy somewhat. My father called saying that he needed some prescription information so he can get some prescriptions filled at his present location. So I went to his house, got the information and relayed it to him from there. His reception wasn't so great so I had to do it in the military Alpha/Zulu comm code so there was no doubt that he got every word of it. If I knew the language better I could have really scrambled his brain by giving it to him in Cherokee.

Only thing on the agenda today is to complete the CP/m card I was working on yesterday. The processor I have for it came from another type of card (not CP/m) but a Z80A is a Z80A so it should work. It's not like I'm trying to put a 65C02 into an otherwise unchanged 6502A environment. That by the way doesn't work as the 6502A and the 65C02 firmware are incompatible. I'll know instantly when I test it, but as I said, it should work.

No other plans. I'll take whatever else as it comes along.

[Image: DSCN2848.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 05-06-2014

Running Bear Wrote:I had to do it in the military Alpha/Zulu comm code so there was no doubt that he got every word of it.

Romeo Bravo,
this is Sierra Two Five Zero,
message Alpha slash Zulu comm code understood.
Group commander sends Bravo Zulu.
Two Five Zero, out.
Icon_twisted Wink Smile Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-06-2014

Sumpter250 Wrote:
Running Bear Wrote:I had to do it in the military Alpha/Zulu comm code so there was no doubt that he got every word of it.

Romeo Bravo,
this is Sierra Two Five Zero,
message Alpha slash Zulu comm code understood.
Group commander sends Bravo Zulu.
Two Five Zero, out.
Icon_twisted Wink Smile Smile
Yankee Oscar Uniform - Golf Oscar Tango - India Tango!
Or maybe you prefer morse.
-.-- --- ..- --. --- - .. -!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-06-2014

AF350 Wrote:...Way back when I was a copier technician(production not field service)we made the most on customer consumables like tonner and ink and some times paper. It is pretty much industry wide that the consumables is where the profit comes from.

You are right. If you take an ink cartridge cost and figure it's cost per gallon, we're talking well over $1,000 a gallon and astronomical profits. We've all heard the story about when Gillette introduced the safety razor, they gave away the razor and made their money selling the blades. That's still true today, sell a printer for $80 and charge $100 for the cartridge. I just bought a laser cartridge refill kit in hopes of saving a good $70 on a rebuilt cartridge. Ink cartridges are another thing though, way too messy and usually doesn't work when you finish. Nope

ezdays Wrote:
AF350 Wrote:...Way back when I was a copier technician(production not field service)we made the most on customer consumables like tonner and ink and some times paper. It is pretty much industry wide that the consumables is where the profit comes from.

You are right. If you take an ink cartridge cost and figure it's cost per gallon, we're talking well over $1,000 a gallon and astronomical profits. We've all heard the story about when Gillette introduced the safety razor, they gave away the razor and made their money selling the blades. That's still true today, sell a printer for $80 and charge $100 for the cartridge. I just bought a laser cartridge refill kit in hopes of saving a good $70 on a rebuilt cartridge. Ink cartridges are another thing though, way too messy and usually doesn't work when you finish. Nope
Gillette knew what they were doing. The razor was worthless without the blades so if costumers wanted to use it they had to buy the blades for it. Good business practice. On the ink cartridges, I used to take my empties to Walgreen's to be refilled but with the price of gas what it is now and my health problems it's no longer worth the little bit I saved on getting refills. I can get new cartridges online for less than new at Wal-Mart and Walgreen's.

I finally got the CP/m card done. It's been tested and it works.

[Image: DSCN6136.jpg]

As for the rest of the day, been watching TV and got a nap which I needed.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 05-06-2014

Good evening all it got up to 73 this afternoon car washing weather Icon_lol washed 4 vehicles the family fleet is clean and shiny. Now I have to spray some weeds along the fence line before the Triffids return.

We had an election here took folks to do their voting. The main issue was a tax levy to support and expand the zoo 35 Icon_lol 35

Also did some more yard work, and now resting and figuring out what I need to get to complete some dusty projects(trucks, couplers, wheel sets)

Been looking around at custom dry transfers and the setup costs are so high that for the same amount of money I could get the Decal pro system and make my own dry transfers(an option I am really considering) for the BFT.

I can't remember where I seen it but there is a company that makes scale auto plates for 1:64 and 1:43 sized autos. Eek

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - yellowlynn - 05-06-2014

I do read most all the threads, but I barely drag around enough to do any entries. Tomorrow I see the Urologist, to see if I go to Dallas for a consultation on my bladder; surgery or treatment. At nite I'm fortunate. I wake up 6-7 times to go, but during the day diapers are handy because I get 3-5 second notice before........psssst.

I have a question too. I was showing my GS and his fiance' how my Challenge ran.Ran good until it took a swan dive 37" to the concrete. About 15 years ago I took my Big Boy apart and reworked it, but now I shake so much I'm afraid to check the guts of this. It looks decent enough, EXCEPT, the front trucks have dropped down, and what looks like a small block fits up into the boiler, but won't go. Does anyone know the guts of this 4-6-6-4 boiler that can tell me if there's a way to fit it back in? Or will it take major surgery? Nothing appears broken that I can see, but that don't mean diddley squat.

I don't remember all, but guys and wives are in my prayers even tho I don't say so.

Lynn

Not a bad day all in all.

I got the CP/m card completed and tested. It's good.

UPS brought me a box of supplies for my wound vac. The Home Health nurse will be happy to see that. We used the last filter canister yesterday.

A friend of mine should be bringing me his Apple IIc before the weekend. Last time I fixed the disk drive. Now it has a memory problem. Probably a loose RAM chip. I'm going to see if he'll allow me to post photos of it. It belonged to his son and he's kinda touchy about that.

When I was at my fathers place this morning I put a sliced up frankfurter on the dogs snack plate. She ignored it for a while. Then the cat ran over and swiped a piece! The dog made short work of the rest.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN2835.jpg]

[Image: P1011919.jpg]
Here's an AHM C628. The old three pole motor was on the weak side. I had to make a couple of modifications to the frame but I shoehorned in an Athearn blue-box motor and made a set of shafts to fit it. The test of the new drive can be seen in the video below.

[Image: th_DSCN2749.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-07-2014

Good morning everyone, kind of a chilly day in store for us, I believe one TV weatherperson called it a "cold front". This means that we'll be lucky to make it into the 80's....brrrrrrr..... Tongue Fear not, next week's forecast takes us well into the triple-digits. :o
Y'all have a good day now Thumbsup ...just practicing in case we ever go back to Texas one day..... 357

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-07-2014

Good Morning Blue
We woke to rain and 1 very loud clap of thunder.
Temp is a wet 48 degrees.
Grocery shopping this morning. After seeing the total I cried all the way home.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-07-2014

Good afternoon. It's 77° with 62% humidity. The high will be 85° with some clouds. South winds 15mph with gusts to 25mph.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

The Home Health nurse has already been here and gone. Different one this time as the other one has the day off.

Nothing particular on the schedule today. No projects to work on. I worked on a couple of drive controller cards last night. That didn't go well. There are several chips soldered to the cards. Guess which ones have the problem. Yeah, at least one per card and they're soldered ones. So those cards are going in the trash. No worries on those as they sell for cheap online. If I need one I can always find one there.

[Image: DSCN2759.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2779.jpg]

[Image: P1011884.jpg]