The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 05-07-2014

Running Bear Wrote:Nothing particular on the schedule today. No projects to work on. I worked on a couple of drive controller cards last night. That didn't go well. There are several chips soldered to the cards. Guess which ones have the problem. Yeah, at least one per card and they're soldered ones. So those cards are going in the trash. No worries on those as they sell for cheap online. If I need one I can always find one there.

I used to rework and repair silent watchmen alarm systems once upon a time, "chips" that had a high failure rate got replaced with a dip socket matched to the size of the chip, making future repairs a lot easier. With the proper tools and some skill rework/repair is a breeze-however the cost of those tools far outweigh most circuit boards for a hobbyists on a budget. Solderpaults general do not work very well and the better ones require cleaning and re-lubed, solder wick(also called braid) is better but can be damaging to pc board if not used properly and it comes in various weaves and sizes, the best results comes from a rework/de-soldering station with a vacuum (wish I had one like I used to use I think the brand was Hakco) If you want a real challenge try to replace smt(surface mount components) with very fine pitch(distance between pins) by hand :ugeek:

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-07-2014

Nothing much went on with the rest of my day. Watched some TV, played a couple games of Starfleet1. That's about it.

I'm tired so it's time to call it a night. Ecce vos omnes die crastino separatim.

[Image: DSCN2737.jpg]

[Image: P1011819.jpg]

[Image: P1011801-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-07-2014

Well I got a surprise! Just out of curiosity I hooked the ImageWriter II printer up to my //e. I turned on the computer then the printer then enter PR#1 to route the video output to the printer then did a catalog of the boot drive. To my surprise the printer reacted! I couldn't see anything on the paper but then the ribbon was dry. I opened the ribbon cartridge and sprayed some CRC 2-26 inside then closed it up and put it back in the printer then tried again. This time I got a lightly legible list of the files on the boot disk.

What are the chances that my //e just happened to have in it a serial printer controller that was already set for an ImageWriter? I've never had an ImageWriter before so how's the controller (which I've owned since new) set for it? Surprise, surprise. Just nipped over to Ebay and picked up a new ribbon for under $10. It should be here no later than the 12th.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-08-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have 53 and sun.
No train news yesterday but we had our usual evening chat.
Talked about lawn mowers.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-08-2014

Good morning. It's 73° with 90% humidity. The high will be 85° with a fair chance of showers and thunderstorms.
[Image: cond40.jpg]

Not feeling good today. Gall bladder was acting up last night. Nothing planned for today. No projects, no ideas. I'll just sit back and take whatever comes along as best I can.

Bonum habere diem

[Image: P1011585.jpg]

[Image: P1011774.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-08-2014

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 64 degrees outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be about 81 with 40% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. We had a good thunderstorm last night with lots of light, sound, a half inch of rain, and wind gust up to 54 mph.

I did get the oil changed on both cars yesterday along with some needed shopping at Walmart. Today I need to make a trip to Menards to pick up a present for my wife's birthday. Also need to figure out something for Mother's Day. Also on tap for today is some laundry and housecleaning.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-08-2014

Good morning all, bug surprise this morning, my Weather Channel app on my desktop didn't crash overnight. That hasn't happened in a long time. Usually it isn't on my taskbar or when I open it, there is not weather data showing. In either case I have to restart the program and it's becoming routine.

Speaking of weather, I see where it's been warmer in Kansas than here in Arizona. The weather so far this year has been weird, tornadoes, flooding, super-dry, sub-freezing and now crazy hot. There are many wildfires burning in many states, so far this year, we've had a good dozen here, most burning just a few hundred acres . Our state is tinder dry and we have stupid people that go out and ignore these conditions and start fires, sometimes just by neglect, others on purpose. Curse It's bad enough when we have one caused by a lightning strike, but these others can be avoided, and I hope this year that they don't build it to the giant fires we've had in past years.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-08-2014

ezdays Wrote:There are many wildfires burning in many states, so far this year, we've had a good dozen here, most burning just a few hundred acres . Our state is tinder dry and we have stupid people that go out and ignore these conditions and start fires, sometimes just by neglect, others on purpose. Curse It's bad enough when we have one caused by a lightning strike, but these others can be avoided, and I hope this year that they don't build it to the giant fires we've had in past years.
We get a lot of the same here. People burning debris piles mostly. Now there's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is that they try doing it on windy days or when it's real dry or both. One case involved a guy burning a pile of old old hay. He did it on a day when it was 97 degrees, no rain for weeks and there was a good 20mph wind. He burned the hay alright. He also burned three pastures, a corn field, two tractors, five cars, a barn and his neighbors house. Surprisingly he didn't get the dumbbell award. that went to the guy who parked his truck in a field of high grass. The catalytic converter set the grass on fire and resulted in not only the truck being burned but almost half an RV park as well.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-08-2014

Running Bear Wrote:We get a lot of the same here. People burning debris piles mostly. Now there's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is that they try doing it on windy days or when it's real dry or both. One case involved a guy burning a pile of old old hay. He did it on a day when it was 97 degrees, no rain for weeks and there was a good 20mph wind. He burned the hay alright. He also burned three pastures, a corn field, two tractors, five cars, a barn and his neighbors house. Surprisingly he didn't get the dumbbell award. that went to the guy who parked his truck in a field of high grass. The catalytic converter set the grass on fire and resulted in not only the truck being burned but almost half an RV park as well.

Around here, people go into the woods to camp, start a campfire and set the whole forest on fire because they don't know how to start or put out a fire safely. We had one fire recently by someone doing target shooting in the woods, and a few by lost individuals starting "signal" fires to be found. We've had several set intentionally, one by a part-time firefighter who thought he'd get some work. He's working all right, probably in the prison laundry or mopping floors for the next 20 years or so. Even in the desert areas of Arizona, there is a lot of brush, trees and cactus that can spread quickly when a fire starts.

BTW. burning debris is illegal in most places in our state for that very reason.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 05-08-2014

Running Bear Wrote:that went to the guy who parked his truck in a field of high grass. The catalytic converter set the grass on fire and resulted in not only the truck being burned but almost half an RV park as well.

It is a warning in the owners book for my 2000 Trans Am \not to park on dry grass or a pile of leaves 35 I guess I can not take my car to the Millersport Corn festival at Buckeye lake, as the parking is in fields and around late July August, last few times I went the Ohio sweet corn crop did not do well and they brought in corn from else where. Icon_lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While going threw some boxes of trains I found a box I picked up at an estate aucation a few years ago mostly link coupler freight cars from American Flyer, but there was a boxcar with no trucks the width and length was very close to an S gauge car upon examination it turns out to be a Lionel #6014 series O-27 Frisco double door box car from 1957. So I dug up some S trucks and couplers(american models) and fashioned a mounting system now it is a functioning S rolling stock 2285_ it has some heat/warpage damage on one side but to me looks like a damaged/bent up boxcar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threw out some old out dated catalogs mostly Micro mark, Walthers flyers, and some electronic surplus type catalogs and some general junk catalogs.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-08-2014

Afternoon all. Back from the farms. Turkeys 5 and hunter 0. Could not get them in close enough to shoot. Bear hit two deer feeders. Had to upright and fix them. Happens again, baited dead bear.

Hope all are doing OK. Catch up later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 05-08-2014

Evening all. Been a fun week not being serious or sarcastic just a fun kinda week repaired outside faucet ( 2 trips to Lowe's as first trip picked out correct faucet Lowe's employee took it and gave me another mine had male threads his had female so that caused a second trip Curse but needed other stuff to but it could of waited. Oh well now tomorrow I can do the back one since wasted my day running back and forth to Lowe's. Looking at things that need to be done here but want to get things on my to do list done first. then will add more to it lol.
So have a few things for tomorrow to do. Then I go to work the flea market Saturday and Sunday. calling for storms on Sunday but that's fine with me my unit is enclosed. So I'm good. may not stay late Sunday.

Hope all doing well

Good evening. Well maybe it is for you. I've felt rather 'off' all day. I did at least get a parts drawer set up to store the computer cards I use most and have the most of. It's set up to hold four types. #1 is 80 column RAM expansion cards, #2 is standard 80 column cards, #3 is CP/m cards and #4 is X104 drive controller cards. Though I don't have many of any of these this gives me a place to store them other than having them in a pile in a box with a bunch of junk cards. It t6ook about an hour to get everything sorted. I also cleaned up the ImageWriter II printer as I now know it works.

That's about all I had the energy for today as I was standing almost the whole time.

Showers and thunderstorms tonight with a 60% chance of thunderstorms.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1011769.jpg]

[Image: P1011704.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6145.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-09-2014

Good morning everyone, hope you are all getting ready for a great weekend. The last working day of the week for most of you, an just another day for us retired folk. Temps here for the next few days are in the normal range of the low 90's, next week that changes to around 105, about ten degrees above normal. I guess by "normal" they mean the average of all temps on record for that day.

Nice day to do a bit of trap shooting before the weather gets much hotter. Shooting a shotgun with temps over 100 can be a bit different since it's really easy to burn yourself if you touch any part of the barrel. Been there, done that and it kind of takes the fun out of the sport... :cry: Still, the stock and forepiece are wood so you stand a chance of not getting burned if you're careful. Misngth

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-09-2014

Morning all. Sunny and hot. Garden to turn over and do today. Small one done and planted. Running late this year but been so wet. Got three tomato plants in greenhouse over three feet tall with blooms. Transplant them today too. Later, service mower and mow everyone's grass.

Days, enjoy the shoot.

Later.