The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-17-2014

My father and step mother made it back today so I went down and visited with them for a little while. Came back home and found a freind had just gotten here. He brought Snow White, his Apple IIc computer with him so I could repair it. Took about ten minutes to find the problem and about an hour to fix it. It has sixteen RAM chips in it and the fifth one in line was the problem. My problem is that they're all soldered in so getting that chip out took a little while. It has sixteen legs on it and I had to melt the solder off one leg at a time. I don't have a solder wick or anything like that but I have an attachment for my little Shop-Vac that has a 1/4" opening. It sucked the solder up like nobody's business. Getting the new chip in was dead simple by comparison. I used a little battery powered soldering iron for that. It's absolute junk on most everything else but it's the cat's meow for making tiny pinpoint solder joints and doesn't get hot enough to damage the chip. Anyhow the computer works now. There's a photo of it below and a photo of the test screen. I also did a RAM check but all it says is 'OK' and 'OK'. You can see from the photo why he calls it Snow White. Only thing wrong with the case is where his son engraved it years ago.

[Image: DSCN6220.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6207.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-17-2014

Well everything of note that I did today has been listed already so all that's left is to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1717.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1720.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6124.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 05-18-2014

Good morning all.

Off to work here in a few.

On the cold side this morning, ran the furnace last night to take the chill out of the house was 65 inside Eek

Kodak printer is out of commission says print head loose or missing Eek not missing or loose may be needs a cleaning or electronics craped out either way will call Kodak help desk to help trouble shoot the problem, already been on the website and did self trouble shooting with no fix.

Well got to get going, later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-18-2014

Good morning all. It's not even 5:00 yet and we're already at 71 degrees out. Another triple-digit day today, but the good news is that by mid-week, we'll have below average temps. Yeah, they're saying that by Wednesday we'll be below 90. Yet another "cold front". That should be good for those fighting the fires in California.

Have a great Sunday, and take it easy. Even us retired folk have a tendency to overdo things during the week. Sunday should be a day of rest.. Big Grin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-18-2014

Morning. Lazy. Wiley and Mirra let me sleep late. Usually Wiley jumps on me. He did at 6:30. I told him to be quite. He did. Lucy and Finn will sleep as long as you do. Actually, Lucy will stay longer.

Sunny and cool but clouds on the way. May have a shower this evening. Send it to CA. Storm

Days, figured out why neighbors do not buy a lawn mower. Getting theirs mowed free. Wallbang

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-18-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 57 degrees.
No news and no free meals like the Chief so I'm just checking in.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-18-2014

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 61 headed for a high of about 70 with rain chances moving in tonight and tomorrow.

Had a busy day yesterday. Took some yard waste to the recycling center then a stop at Menards to buy new cartridges for the paint mask. Didn't carry what I needed but had new mask for the same price as cartridges so now I have a new paint mask. Also picked up another box of solar lights for the Backyard and Southern. Now I have solar lights all the way around the track.

When I got home I finished sanding the dresser and put the primer on it. When the paint dried I showed My Fair Lady who immediately didn't like the color so tomorrow we'll head back to Menards to see if we can make the color darker or we'll have to buy another gallon.

Not much on the agenda for today but whatever it is will be outside.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-18-2014

Good morning. It's 72° with 78% humidity. The high will be 85° with some clouds.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Didn't get much sleep last night so I'm feeling tired and stiff this morning. Maybe I can get some nap time later.

I'm trying to convince my friend to upgrade his Apple IIc. It's an original '255' ROM version with all the bugs that were inherent to that model. He has some software and a few devices that were made to be used on later versions and he'd like to be able to use them. A ROM upgrade won't fix the serial timing problems inherent in the original IIc but it will enable him to use the devices and software he has. I've shown him a couple of ROM 3 and ROM 4 upgrade kits online that are available at a very low price. However soldering is required. He can't solder and I really don't like doing pinpoint soldering anymore because of my eyesight and nerve problems. Replacing that RAM chip yesterday had me cross-eyed for a while.

My father is supposed to be making hamburgers for lunch today and I'm invited. I'll have to limit myself to just one.

Other than that I have no plans for today. But I'm sure something will come up.

[Image: DSCN1724.jpg]

[Image: P1010577.jpg]

[Image: P1010559.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 05-18-2014

Shaky hands and soldering do not usually make for the best results, if I get the diabetic shake going I have trouble with dexterity and find even a screw driver hard to operate does not happen often but when it does it is a challenge.

I have to go to a graduation(college student)party in a few. Work was interesting as every thing was down at the same time and not enough mechanics around to fix everything in a timely manor got a half hour overtime Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-18-2014

Went to my fathers place for a late lunch. He makes great hamburgers. I had said I was going to have just one and I was determined to lock my desire down to that, but my appetite quickly picked the locks. I had two. Later when I went to go home my vans engine turned over twice then stopped. I pressed the starter button several times but nothing happened. The battery had a good charge on it so I surmised it must be something wrong with the starter button. Well way back when I originally ran the wires for this starter button setup I had stripped a tiny bit of insulation off the two wires that went to it for just such an eventuality. I popped the hood, turned the key on, went out and raised the hood then grabbed those two wires and pressed the two bare spots against each other. The engine kicked over, I dropped the hood and drove home. Once there I removed the starter button from the dash and looked at it. The problem was very simple. One of the wires had come loose. I put it back on and tightened the screws down good then tested it. The engine started on the first try so I put the button back in the dash. It would be nice if all my problems were that simple.

Spent some time today putting the IIc computer back together and thought a few photos of the inside would be appropriate.

The motherboard laid bare. The red arrow at right points to the chip I replaced. Yeah, the gray one.
[Image: DSCN6238.jpg]

And there's the label I put in every computer I work on.
[Image: DSCN6239-1.jpg]

Here's everything back in place before I closed it up.
[Image: DSCN6242.jpg]

Besides the above I had hamburgers at my fathers place and I worked on the van a bit. Sometime tomorrow morning I'll be heading to the post office. I'm shipping a computer off to New York.

Well that's it for tonight. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010543.jpg]

[Image: P1010540.jpg]

[Image: P1010536.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-19-2014

Good morning everyone, hope your weekends went well for you and yours. Today, we're going to be under 100, just dandy. Better yet, we should be in the high 80's by Wednesday. I know this because for the first time in weeks, the Weather Channel app on my computer was up and running when I got here :o . Normally it will crash sometime during the night and I have to restart it (yes, I keep my machine on 24/7). I'd change to a different app, but I like the details it provides, so I'm hoping one day that they'll fix it so that it runs right.

We are one week from Memorial Day here in the US. I hope everyone realizes the significance of that day and not just think of it as just another holiday. We have not plans for that day, no BBQ'in, no picnics in the park, no going out of town, just staying home. We used to go camping up north when we had our kids living with us, but I'm not sure our bodies can handle that type of fun anymore. Sleeping in a sleeping bag or on a cot just doesn't cut it anymore. Nope

BTW, just a heads up, but we are going to start a build challenge next week that will run until Labor Day. That will give everyone all summer long to get their project(s) done, since you can have more than one entry. It's one we've run before and one that had the most number interest, so we're doing it again.... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-19-2014

Morning. Sunny and warmer. Busy week. Got Willy Nelson/Alison Krauss concert tonight. Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-19-2014

Good Morning Blue
We finally have sun and 64 degrees.
Off to the grocery this morning and trimming the grass is on my to-do list.
Nothing on my train list right now.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 05-19-2014

Good afternoon. It's 78° with 52% humidity. The high will be 85° with some clouds.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Not much going on today. Went into town to ship a computer off to New York City then went to Wal-Mart to get some things I needed. Got back home to find that a package with my Star Trek Voyager Season One DVD set had arrived. Looks like I have something new to watch this week. Now I'm just waiting on the Home Health nurse to call. Nothing else planned.

[Image: P1010528.jpg]

[Image: P1010510.jpg]

[Image: P1010533.jpg]