The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-22-2013

Hello Blue
The temp is 79 and hazy.
Not a good weekend for me. We lost power a day AFTER the storm, I think someone cleaning up probably dropped a tree branch on the wires. Anyway it was out overnight and into yesterday afternoon. I also got stung and ended up at an ER because of the swelling, I'm happy to say my hand is much better today. no train news.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-22-2013

Went to my fathers place for dinner today. Chili dogs. I chopped up one of the garden grown peppers on mine. Wow! Those things are hot!

Two more disk drives I worked on today are these two Apple compatible Franklins. They are slightly different models but they have identical chassis. The top drive has no write protection so it can write to a disk even it it has a write protect tab on it. The shells of both were stripped and repainted. I made up the drive badges in MSPaint.

[Image: DSCN4400.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-22-2013

Time for me to call it a day. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010853.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-23-2013

Greetings, gang.

70 and raining in Ft Gratiot, MI this morning. Showers and a high in the mid 70s are expected for today.

Had a fairly routine trip except for the evening spent in Benton Harbor. We walked down to the beach and watched a storm move in. Fun to watch but didn't quite get back to the car before the wind picked up and started blowing sand at us. Fine sand at 40+ mph can sting a little. Think sand blaster.

Today is a planning and last minute shopping day. Tomorrow we're off to Niagara Falls. I'll check in as time permits.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-23-2013

Good morning. It's currently 78° with 98% humidity. The high will be 95° but will feel like 103°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

There's not much going on this morning. Weather is nice. Due to the high humidity my a/c unit sounds like it has a waterfall in it. There's a steady stream of water flowing from it outside, maybe as high as a gallon an hour. I was looking at the inside of an old Apple disk drive that I keep around as a parts source and got a fairly descent shot of it. It'll be at the bottom of this post. I may mow the nieces yard today depending on how high the grass is. With the rain we've had it should be about ready for a cutting.

[Image: P1010839-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4411.jpg]
The black piece in the middle with the red mark on it is the read/write head, rather large and clumsy by today's standards. The motor in the upper left corner is big enough to use in a G Scale loco and may fit in some of the O Scale diesels. No way will it fit in anything that's HO Scale.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-23-2013

Afternoon. ROLESVILLE High School ribbon cutting was this AM. Just got back. What a great event. Big crowd. Hot and humid. Back to the HS for the Chamber Expo.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-23-2013

Well I had planned to cut my nieces yard today but my body had different ideas. I felt so tired there was nothing for it but to go back to bed. I was up several times during the day then went to my fathers place for dinner. Pot roast with green beans and cornbread. Went next door and talked to my niece about the yard and brought her up to date on what's going on with my foot. I can mow the yard any day but she'll pay more if I wait until Friday, so mowing day is Friday weather permitting. I had the results of my last cardiac stress test, done in December, faxed to the doctors office in Oakdale. They'll call us back when they've checked it out. Well I'm still very tired so I'm calling it a night early. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN4364.jpg]

[Image: P1010795.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 07-23-2013

Wow who would've thought that a 3 day work week would be tiring. Got home 2 min before midnight . Feet are sore from standing up all day in steel toed shoes will not know my scheduled shifts for next week till Friday.

Tomatoes are nice sized but still not ripe yet, this year growing OX Heart and Cherokee purple varities.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-24-2013

Good morning. It's 75° with 99% humidity. The high will be 95° and will feel like 102°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Looks like I'll have today to myself pretty much. One of the Apple II disk drives needs some cosmetic restoration on the front panel so that should keep me busy for a little while. It looks like it will lose it's Disk II label as that has plenty of scratches and dents. I hope it doesn't put up too much of a fight while I'm removing it. The rest of the front panel has some scrapes and scuffs. It shouldn't be hard to get those to vanish. Aside from that I'll probably watch a couple of movies and a Trains and Locomotives show I recorded from RFDTV.

[Image: P1010796.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4426.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-24-2013

Good Morning Blue
A quick good morning, got things to do today.
Happy Hump Day to the working folk.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-24-2013

Morning. Hot and humid. Rest day. Well, sort of. Probably mow and spray trim. Was a big day yesterday as opened NC's biggest high school and then activities until 8:45 last night.

AF350 Wrote:Tomatoes are nice sized but still not ripe yet, this year growing OX Heart and Cherokee purple varities.
Mine are fair sized. Lots of vines and some 8' tall. Not many tomatoes and all due to too much rain. Tobacco is the same. Extra tall but leaves have no weight. Hope tomatoes will do better now not so much water.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-24-2013

Well I got the cosmetic restoration work on the disk drive done. It had some scrapes and scuffs on it that looked particularly nasty when photographed. Somehow the camera makes most anything look worse than it really is. But with the application of a little contour putty and some black paint it looks OK now. The Apple Disk II plate had to go as there was no way of saving it. However I may be able to cut the Disk II logo off of it and apply that separately. The black paint I used is a little flatter than I wanted but it's all I had. The drive in question is drive 2 though I did a little work on drive 1 as well.

[Image: DSCN4433.jpg]

On a related issue, I've been getting email asking if I can do restoration work on other peoples old computer equipment. The answer to that is no. The equipment I'm working on is mine and I have only myself to answer to if I screw it up. I can get replacement parts for it or something that's close enough to do the job. If I screw up something belonging to someone else I'll have to replace it with an identical item that's been fully checked out and tested and that can get expensive fast. Many times I have to purchase an entire item, say a disk drive, just to get a particular part that I need. Plus there are some things that just aren't available anymore.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 07-24-2013

Running Bear Wrote:... The answer to that is no....
A very wise position. Fiddling, trying and finally succeeding or failing for myself or for anybody else are two very different things.

Just for fun I pulled the other two Apples out of the closet and gave them the Krud Kutter and Goo-Gone scrub down to clean them up. After working out the best way to do it on Apple #1 I was able to clean up Apples #2 and #3 in less than an hour and that included scrubbing off the cigarette smoke stains and in the case of Apple #3 some red permanent marker ink that was on one side. I'm a believer in Krud Kutter and Goo-Gone. Anything that can take that off is good stuff. I also took the computers apart and cleaned inside the shells, something I didn't do on mine. I noticed something too. The keyboards in Apple #1 and Apple #3 are attached to the shell. The keyboard in Apple #2 is attached to the base. #1 is an 82 model (made in US) and #3 is an 84 model (made in Singapore). #2 is also an 82 model (Made in US). All three are model# A2S2064. Both #1 and #2 originally had white lettered keys. The keyboard on #1 was changed out by Delta Computers in 1986 with a black lettered one. Both have 6502 processors. #3 has the more advanced G65SC02 processor. I wonder what other design differences there were.

No rain in the forecast today, not even the barest mention of a thunderstorm. Yet this afternoon a string of large thunderstorms as real as my tabletop here and just as impossible to ignore came rumbling through this area. High winds, nearly sideways rainfall, heavy lightning and thunder were over this area for several hours. Quite a few times I gave thought to getting out and seeking better shelter. How the heck could the weatherman miss that coming in? Storms are still kicking around out there but they're small fry moving to the south-east. I hope we've seen the last of the big ones for a while. The power went out several times but it was right back on within seconds.

In other news, I changed out the 6502 processor in my IIe with a 65C02 processor, starting on the upgrade to an Enhanced IIe. Right now I have Starfleet1 running and it's going from menu to menu faster than it ever has.

I looked at a metal F3A shell on Ebay that I mean to pick up as soon as I can. Then all four of the locos in the F-unit quad will have metal shells.

Well that's it for now. Time to call it a night.

[Image: P1010791.jpg]