The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-04-2014

Thanks guys.

Sat most of afternoon in shade of pecan tree with a slight breeze. Finn [golden doodle], was beside me [Wiley and Lucy were too hot so went inside]. We watched the soaker hoses soak the garden. Ran to WalMart this afternoon. What a t'storm hit there. Got to Rville and sprinkle. It rained out over Wake Forest. Curse Now it shows it made back up over farms down east. I am sure they are happy. Think some more rain later tonight. [fingers crossed and praying]

Off to meet the whole gang at Mexican at 6 + -. Pam came up with that one. Had one of my favorites last night. Chicken slick [pastry].

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-04-2014

Not much going on today. The nurse came around noon and changed the wound vac dressing. It did well at first but is now starting to give me some problems.

Cleaned and repaired another loco that was damaged when the tree hit hit my trailer. It's slow work but I'm getting them back in running order.

I was working with some CP/m programs on the //e this afternoon. Everything was going good then my CP/m coprocessor card died. Pulled the chips and cleaned the pins and sockets but it was still returning errors. There was nothing to do but toss it and pull a spare from one of the other IIe's that had one. Installed it and I was back in business. That's the bad thing about 30+ year old vintage electronics. It can go down any time and there's usually no warning.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 06-04-2014

We've had a few dud buys lately.
The new teapot does a weird job of pouring but at least doesn't slop tea around.
SWMBO bought a second copy of the New Yorker that we bought last week.
We replaced the coffee maker with a new one that has a bigger pot and extra controls (old one was on and off). I set it up and we did the required initial dummy runs to clear the dust out and made coffee. I managed to set the clock. A midnight I heard it "beep" and looked at it and it was sizzling a bit. So I pushed a few buttons and then unplugged it. Checked the instructions and saw how to set the auto-timed brew but no note on disabling it. They do tell you to unplug it if it's not going to be used and not to leave the empty carafe on the heater. OK. Now why do they have a clock on it, since it goes back to midnight when it's turned on again?

(Lynn: moderato ma non troppo is a musical instruction: moderately, but not too much. It doesn't show up very often.)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-04-2014

Good evening. It's a nice night here. 78° and mostly clear.

As I said earlier the wound vac dressing was acting up. I finally had to remove it and replace it with a wet to dry dressing. A nurse will come out tomorrow and put on another wound vac dressing. I hope that one does better.

Also reported earlier about the //e's CP/m going toes up. I put in a good one and everything's working fine now. In the event Mr Murphy screws with it I have four more as spares, all tested and confirmed working within the last thirty minutes.

While I had the //e opened for maintenance I removed one of the drive controller cards and two disk drives. The SDfloppy II drive emulator is the lead on slot six with a Lobo drive as #2. The card in slot five has two Disk drives, a Lobo drive as #1 and a Mitac drive as #2.

Cleaned and repaired two locos today. A GP9 and a GP35.

Well that's it. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: 236.jpg]

[Image: 238.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6377-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-05-2014

Good morning. It's 71° with 100% humidity. The high will be 92°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

This morning I'm just waiting on the Home Health nurse to call. A new wound vac dressing has to be applied to replace the one that failed yesterday.

Other than that I have no plans for today.

[Image: IMAGE15.jpg]

[Image: P1010004-26.jpg]

[Image: Tyco-building.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-05-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 60 degrees this morning.
No train news this morning but I did have a nice chat with some of the train guys last night till bed time.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-05-2014

Afternoon. Stiches out and that one is OK. Hot, humid and sunny. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-05-2014

It's been a mixed day thus far. The nurse showed up close to 11am and got the replacement dressing for the wound vac applied quickly. So far it's doing well. Came home and had a bowl of chili for lunch.

I know a lot of you aren't into computers like I am and probably can't tell the difference between a 65C02 processor and a firmware ROM chip even if you saw them but I've been told there are those who like to read about what I'm doing regardless. To you I relate the following. This morning I put the two M0107 Platinum floppy drives into operation. Don't remember those? They're the two that I re-cabled recently. Here's a photo to jog your memory:

[Image: DSCN6323.jpg]

One of them is working perfectly. The other one however was having problems. It sounded weak and wasn't indexing (the read/write head wasn't moving) and the drive wouldn't reset. This of course resulted in an Input/Output Error. It worked fine in tests. Thinking it was something internal I opened the drive up and poked around inside to see if I could find where old Mr Murphy was hiding. I then tested the drive while it was open and it worked just fine. Put it back together then tested it again. Back to it's weak performance. Well that left only thing it could be. The ribbon cable that connects the drive to the computer. Replaced that and all is once again good with the world. Hindsight is 20/20. That cable was the FIRST thing I should have checked. That was me not thinking. Well I've bored you enough with this so I'll go watch a movie and work on another loco that needs my attention.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-05-2014

RB, just wondering, how much longer do you have to keep that vacuum dressing on? I know that all healing takes a while, but I'm sure you would like to get back to normal again. I just learned that I have a BIL that went through the same thing for the same reason. It's a fine line we all live on and some people just spend more time on the other side of the line. You, my friend, have shown remarkable resilience. Worship

ezdays Wrote:RB, just wondering, how much longer do you have to keep that vacuum dressing on? I know that all healing takes a while, but I'm sure you would like to get back to normal again.
You want it in my doctors technical terminology? Until it's healed. The wound started off bigger than a baseball. Now it's a little bigger than a golf ball. Yep, diabetes is nothing to take lightly. Many people with type 2 think they're safe, that they won't have the kind of problems type 1 diabetics have and they can keep it under control with pills. Don't you believe it! I'm what's called type 2 severe. I'm a double amputee. I'm have to take pills AND two types of insulin every day. Ten units of Novolog insulin before meals and one hundred units of Lantus insulin before bed. Does that sound like no major problem? I have more problems than that. I have severe permanent nerve damage from the diabetes and childhood spinal meningitis. My mother suffered from hepatitis C since childhood and while I've never tested positive for it I'm labelled as a potential carrier. For those reasons I can't give blood or plasma and I can't be an organ donor though I don't know why anybody would want any of mine anyway. I could go on but I don't want to bore anybody.

Running Bear Wrote:You want it in my doctors technical terminology? Until it's healed. The wound started off bigger than a baseball. Now it's a little bigger than a golf ball. Yep, diabetes is nothing to take lightly. Many people with type 2 think they're safe, that they won't have the kind of problems type 1 diabetics have and they can keep it under control with pills. Don't you believe it! I'm what's called type 2 severe. I'm a double amputee. I'm have to take pills AND two types of insulin every day. Ten units of Novolog insulin before meals and one hundred units of Lantus insulin before bed. Does that sound like no major problem? I have more problems than that. I have severe permanent nerve damage from the diabetes and childhood spinal meningitis. My mother suffered from hepatitis C since childhood and while I've never tested positive for it I'm labelled as a potential carrier. For those reasons I can't give blood or plasma and I can't be an organ donor though I don't know why anybody would want any of mine anyway. I could go on but I don't want to bore anybody.

In layman's terms, that's one helluva wound. :o I'm glad for you that it's doing better, and as I said, I hope you can get back to "normal" soon. No, either type of diabetes is nothing to be scoffed at. I know for a fact that there are quite a few people here that have type II, but I thought that only type I needed insulin. Your information is enlightening for sure, and a bit scary too. I doubt that anyone can consider any form of diabetes as not being a major problem, but as I said, you are indeed resilient and seem to bounce back, or at least roll with the punches. There's not much you can do to change things, but at least you keep going. I've seen people with fewer problems just sit in a corner and start sucking their thumbs. Another thing you point out is that many of these things are hereditary, that's why it's important to know your family history. Many of us can learn from what you just described.

BTW, I started out using 8" floppies and I still have a bunch of 5 1/4" and 3.5" ones with drives to read them if need be, although I doubt that I ever will. It boggles the mind, my first computer with a HD had 40 mB capacity and was took up two internal spaces (around 5" high), I just bought a one terabyte drive that fits in my pocket. Times have sure changes...

ezdays Wrote:BTW, I started out using 8" floppies and I still have a bunch of 5 1/4" and 3.5" ones with drives to read them if need be, although I doubt that I ever will. It boggles the mind, my first computer with a HD had 40 mB capacity and was took up two internal spaces (around 5" high), I just bought a one terabyte drive that fits in my pocket. Times have sure changes...
I take it your 5¼" floppies are Tandy or IBM compatible? Hey, my first hard disk was ten megs and was bigger than a four slice pop-up toaster. At that time 48k was normal for RAM. My Apples at 64k and 128k were giants. I still have my original floppy drives. At 4.8" high, 8.6" long and 6" wide they were big then. Now they're huge! I have two Apple half-height floppy drives but they're just not as heavy and rugged as the big Disk II drives. The Disk II drive is easy to take apart and put back together. A kid can do it. The Uni-Disk, Platinum 5¼ and the Duo-Disk aren't so easy to work on as everything is pushed closer together and there are screws galore!

Here are a Lobo Drives Disk II clone (same size as the Disk II) and an Apple Platinum 5¼ A9M0107 Disk drive. At three inches high it's still big.

[Image: DSCN6385-1.jpg]

The first machines (one at the shop, one for home) were not IBM compatible, had no hard drive, used 8" floppies and was practically worthless doing any kind of real work, except keeping papers from flying off my desk. All the others were IBM compatible. I actually used Window 2.0 on one 286 machine, but never understood the significance until 3.0 came out.

ezdays Wrote:I actually used Window 2.0 on one 286 machine, but never understood the significance until 3.0 came out.
Yeah, Windows 2.0 wasn't much but it was better than 1.0 was. I started using Windows when 3.1 came out. Before that I was strictly a DOS man.

Running Bear Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:I actually used Window 2.0 on one 286 machine, but never understood the significance until 3.0 came out.
Yeah, Windows 2.0 wasn't much but it was better than 1.0 was. I started using Windows when 3.1 came out. Before that I was strictly a DOS man.

Got all the way up to DOS 6.0, even with Windows 2.0 on the machine. I remember trying to compose a message using DOS without a word processor. Those were not the "good old days" that we like to remember. Nope But then again, that was all we had. The actually first computer that I worked with was a Univac Solid-State when you inputed the boot sequence using a ten-key keypad. The hard drive (drum memory) was the size of a washing machine and held 5,000 "words" (Remington-Rand). Now those were fun days.... Oh yeah, those machines with a card reader, card punch and printer ran about $500,000 and had the computing power of a hand-held calculator.