The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-05-2014

ezdays Wrote:Got all the way up to DOS 6.0, even with Windows 2.0 on the machine. I remember trying to compose a message using DOS without a word processor. Those were not the "good old days" that we like to remember. Nope But then again, that was all we had. The actually first computer that I worked with was a Univac Solid-State when you inputed the boot sequence using a ten-key keypad. The hard drive (drum memory) was the size of a washing machine and held 5,000 "words" (Remington-Rand). Now those were fun days.... Oh yeah, those machines with a card reader, card punch and printer ran about $500,000 and had the computing power of a hand-held calculator.
DOS 6.22 was high as I got. That was when I had Windows 3.1. First computer I had was an Osborne 1 then I got the two Apple Ile's. Oldest computer I used belonged to a friend of mine. It was an ancient five ton monster of a Honeywell called Norman. It was originally equipped with a paper tape reader/punch but he upgraded it to 70mm video tape like those ancient computers you see in some old movies. He also expanded the memory from 4k to 12k. We played with that thing during the winter months. He didn't have to heat his house while it was running.
Icon_lol
He programmed it to play music. His masterpiece was the William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger theme) in it's entirety.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-05-2014

Running Bear Wrote:... It was an ancient five ton monster of a Honeywell called Norman. It was originally equipped with a paper tape reader/punch but he upgraded it to 70mm video tape like those ancient computers you see in some old movies. He also expanded the memory from 4k to 12k. We played with that thing during the winter months. He didn't have to heat his house while it was running.
Icon_lol
He programmed it to play music. His masterpiece was the William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger theme) in it's entirety.

Uhhh, don't call those machines ancient, I worked on some that had rows of mag tape readers.... oh, that was over 50 years ago, I guess they are ancient. Icon_lol

I walked inside of a Univac II and all those rectifier tubes put out more heat than a furnace. Yes, I said "walked inside" since it actually had a small room where the tech worked. The processor of the system I worked on was about the size of three refrigerators side-by-side and opened like a book to work on.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-05-2014

And to think that today something that can do everything that machine did can fit on the corner of a small postage stamp with lots of room to spare. You know, one of the funniest things I've seen was some of today's kids trying to figure out how to run an Apple II computer. One instance of that happened right in my home some years ago back when my nephew was around twelve. He was trying to get a game program to run on my //e. I had a hard time keeping a straight face.

Not too busy a day today. At least I was able to chase old Mr Murphy out of one of my Apple Platinum disk drives. That was an accomplishment. The wound vac dressing that was applied this morning is still going strong. We'll see if it lasts til Saturday. I got started on working on a loco today but put it back up on the shelf. I just didn't feel like it today. Some other time.

Here you see a lot of my Apple software archive. One those ten SD cards is the equivalent of 160 floppy disks. Each card has sixteen directories and each directory holds the contents of one floppy disk. It rather convenient. I can stick the whole collection in my pocket if I wanted to.

[Image: DSCN6391.jpg]

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010014-3.jpg]

[Image: P1010017-4.jpg]

[Image: P1010002-35.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-06-2014

Good morning all, the last day of the workweek for most people, so if you do have the weekend off, choose what you do with that time wisely. The older you get, the more precious time becomes.... or, heck, just go do what makes you feel good, skip the mowing lawns, skip to car washes or cleaning the garage, just go have fun. That's my wisdom-filled advice for today. Big Grin

You've all heard the term, "but it's a dry heat" when referring to the high temps we have here in our part of Arizona. Well, yesterday, the humidity was 2% and temps were close to 110. :o Now that's dry heat since that's the lowest measured humidity reading they've ever measured. It does happen enough times that it's no longer a big deal, but at least you now know where the term came from. They do forecast the humidity, but never this low. Monday it's suppose to be over the 110 mark. I do hope no one tries the "fry an egg on the sidewalk" thing. It's usually some reporter that hasn't been here that long and usually they just plop it on the sidewalk and it winds up as a sticky mess. We know when it's hot out and I'm sure that on most days, I could fry an egg on the roof of my vehicle, but I have never tried and don't intend to start. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 06-06-2014

ezdays Wrote:We know when it's hot out and I'm sure that on most days, I could fry an egg on the roof of my vehicle, but I have never tried and don't intend to start. Nope

Why not..?? You could film it and post it on YouTube and become an overnight sensation..!! Goldth

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-06-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 61 degrees
No errands this morning but I might do a little yard work.
Enjoy your weekend.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-06-2014

Good morning. It's 75° with 96% humidity. The high will be 92°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

I have no plans for today so I'll take or duck whatever comes along. The bulk of the day will likely be spent playing ancient computer games on the //e and watching movies.

The report on my lab work came back. Everything's fine.

As is usual for this time of year my eyes are giving me some minor problems with itching and watering. Part of my allergies. I try to get any eye exams and anything requiring a vision test done before this flares up. It's irritating so I have to avoid bright light whenever possible. What did I do to deserve all these problems.

[Image: IMAGE1011.jpg]

[Image: P1010015-2.jpg]

[Image: P1010012-5.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-06-2014

Steamtrains Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:We know when it's hot out and I'm sure that on most days, I could fry an egg on the roof of my vehicle, but I have never tried and don't intend to start. Nope

Why not..?? You could film it and post it on YouTube and become an overnight sensation..!! Goldth

Does that mean that I have to register there? If that's a requirement, I think I'll pass on the notoriety. Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-06-2014

Afternoon all. Busy morning and lunch meeting. D Day. Sad day as a lot of good men died this day. Never forget!!!! Off to lake house to mow and have a noon meeting. Back tomorrow afternoon for family night outdoor movie.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 06-06-2014

KRM Wrote:With the exception of Frank,

I have been sitting back and just looking on today. To see if something that has changed all of our lives would even come up here and on other forums because it was done by guys like my dad and a lot of your fathers and grandfathers at a cost of 4,000 men in one day. Making 911 look pale in comparison.
Shame on all of us. GOD BLESS the USA and our veterans who changed the world 70 years ago today. And prayers for the hundreds of thousands that also made us what we are today.
Never forget D-Day the start to the end.

Cheers

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 06-06-2014

Ears are plugged, eyes feel like they are popping out and sinuses pressure hurts. Just got back from nephew's rehearsal dinner, great food his wedding is Saturday afternoon then I am scheduled for 2nd shift Sunday and first on Friday.

Got some needed supplies to continue work on the 2014 scratch build challenge. 2285_ Will start up on that challenge Monday.

Work was another Friday catch all and general complete all unfinished jobs day I was all over the place pitching in where needed till the end of my shift.

The day started out on the cold side and ended with some heat.

Almost forgot the other day was the Chief's B-day 548

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-06-2014

Good evening. It's a warm 84° outside and with the humidity at 76% a bit sticky too. Got a little work done on a loco today. Just a general cleaning.

This morning I accidentally erased the startup disk for my //e. I have others but not with the greeting program this one had. Fortunately I had copied the disk to an SD card after I wrote the program. So all I had to do was put the card in the reader, select the proper directory and copy it contents to a disk and Viola, a new startup disk.

Other than that I watched a couple of movies. I have one on now. It's a cheesy super spy rip-off with Steve Martin as agent WD40. So far it's been one bad joke after another and I'm thinking about just stopping it and delete it.

That's about it so it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: 151.jpg]

[Image: P1010007-10.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6345.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-07-2014

Good morning. Headed out to the desert for some target shooting... very early.... Yeah, the heat takes a lot of the fun out of it. I can remember the guns getting too hot to touch, they just don't cool off fast enough. It's 5:30 and I'm packing up the truck. We won't hit 110 today, but we'll get close....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 06-07-2014

Good morning. It's 75° with 92% humidity.The high will be 92° with some clouds.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Just waiting on the Home Health nurse to call. The schedule is normally Mon, Wed, Fri. Due to the dressing applied Wednesday going and having to be redone Thursday that put the next on Saturday, today. In a way that's good as it the Mon, Wed, Fri back into effect due to the weekend.

I'll watch more movies, maybe work on a loco or two any play some ancient computer games.

Other than that I have no plans for today.

[Image: P1010023.jpg]

[Image: P1010022-1.jpg]

[Image: P1010050.jpg]