The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 08-02-2013

Morning Blue hope all is doing well
Well trying to rebuild my childhood first train set and its not going to well
Well got my 2359 B&M GP-9 in yesterday and the front truck ( steps) got broke in shipping. Problem there is the piece is riveted on not screwed like modern ones. so need to get a whole front truck. found one on the bay but this engine is also having some issues like it runs but then will go dead so think its E-unit issues as it will click sometimes by it self.

Have to goto P.O. and see whats what with them as it was insured.

Anyway time will tell. not much else going on. need to make some breakfast and get going as have some other running around today. Talk to you all later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-02-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a sunny 67 this morning.
No train news today. Yeah I know I could run some trains, but I like the summer weather and want to enjoy every minute of it.
Sooo for the most part I'm just checking in.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-02-2013

Good morning. It's 86° with 67% humidity. It feels like 96° outside right now. The high will be 98° but will feel like 109°. Glad I did my outdoor stuff yesterday.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Well I spent a couple of hours this morning moving the main board of my mothers Apple IIe to an actual IIe case. The case it came in was one of the very early IIe cases. To make it more up to date with the later models I put it in a 1984 case. There are structural differences in the two designs that make interchanging case parts difficult if not near impossible. These later cases are somewhat easier to remove should the need arise, things like changing out a keyboard or power supply or changing out some of the chips. I put the main board of my IIe in the same type case when I changed out the power supply last month. Good thing I took the time to collect all these parts over the years.

Now as for what to do with the rest of the day, guess I'll start with cleaning up this mess I made working on the computer. After that I'll just see what happens.

[Image: DSCN4427.jpg]

[Image: P1012517.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-02-2013

I finished with the Apple I was working on this morning. I hooked it up to a disk drive and an old trash 80 9" monitor and powered it up with a PRODOS system disk in the drive. I put it through the tests and it works perfectly. The case had quite a few big scuffs on it so I sanded them out as best I could. It still didn't look good enough for me so I painted it shiny basic black and applied a little Clear Flat. Now it looks quite a bit like the old Bell & Howell 'Darth Vader' Apple II+ they put out in the 80's except the keys are the wrong color and it very definitely says 'Apple IIe' on the case. I also painted one of the Franklin disk drives to match. Here's a couple of photos.

[Image: DSCN4506-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4567.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 08-02-2013

KRM Wrote:Hey Blue, I see you have an new address. It seems to work fine.
RT. What did you have to give for that GP7?? You got me wanting one. I think that Boston and Main paint scheme on the 2359 is the best one that they produced. JMHO You got any pictures?
Later.

Actually got a deal on it $125 and there going around $200 may if they let me keep it try super glue on the steps/coupler piece ( coupler broke off also as part of it) and just don't use the front coupler.

Well after going to post office running into one idiot that thinks he's mister post office but don't know crap ( I went to another because delt with him befor and he was wrong then) I ended up filing the claim on line. so now a waiting game.

Hope all had a good day today
Here it is befor it was shipped to me
[Image: BampM.jpg]

here is the damaged unit pics
[Image: Picture004.jpg]

[Image: Picture003.jpg]

Well computer wise it's been a productive day. I got a lot of work done on not one but two IIe's. I also got some scratches and a minor cut. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1608.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4515.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-03-2013

Well, good Saturday morning to you all. I hope you got to sleep in for a while longer, we did. Yup, we're usually out of bed by 4 every morning, but today we stayed there until almost 5. Cheers I've always been an early riser, sometimes I can get more work done before it's light out than for the rest of the day.

We've been promised rain now for weeks, all we seem to get is high humidity and dew points. Right now the humidity is in the 40's and dew point in the 60's, still no rain in sight. It is miserably uncomfortable this time of the year. I can take even 115 degrees with under 10% humidity, than I can 105 and 40%. Nope

Just a heads up, but start looking for another auction to start fairly soon. We still have a few anniversary cars to auction off, these should be collector items, so be prepared to bid high. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-03-2013

Good morning. It's 85° with 64% humidity. It feels like 102° outside. The high will be 98° and will feel like 108°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

Gonna be hot today. I have some grocery shopping to do later. For the most part I'll be staying inside where it's cool. Besides the shopping I have no plans. But I'm sure something will come up.

[Image: P3312355.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4584.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-03-2013

Hello Blue
We have a sunny 77 degrees.
Granny and I just returned from a sports bar called Champps. Good food but kinda pricey.
No train news, my friend called from Dollywood yesterday, working their way north and home.
Enjoy the weekend.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-03-2013

Used my fathers truck to go to Wal-Mart to complete my grocery shopping. Dang store was packed! Seemed like a traffic jam, insane asylum and political rally all rolled up into one. As for the weather, man it's hot out there! It feels like 104 now. Think I'll stay inside the rest of the day.

Had dinner at my fathers place this evening. Beef stew and biscuits. He came across a 64k memory expander and 80 column adapter for $15 and snapped it up for me. It'll go into IIe #3. I still need a 650-X104 Disk II drive controller and two CP/M cards. The controller is no problem. They're like pine cones. They are everywhere! The CP/M cards are a different story. There are some out there but they are quite expensive. I could buy them new in the early 80's for much less than some of these people today want for the old ones they have.

Well it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P3262277.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4438.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-04-2013

Good morning. It's 85° (feels like 105) with 73% humidity. The high will be 95° and will feel like 110°. Isolated thunderboomers in the afternoon.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

No outdoor activity for me today if I can help it. Did some light work on my IIe this morning. It uses an older 80 column text card that didn't have support for double high resolution graphics. A simple bit of old wire and a little soldering and it now supports double high res graphics. It can also now function as a RAM disk under DOS 3.3. This sets aside part of the computers RAM memory to function like a logical disk drive. Not hard to do on many modern computers but it can be difficult on these old dinosaurs as they're very hard to memory map. In this case the RAM chips on the text card serve as the RAM disk. When a program requiring more RAM than is available on the computers main board is being used the Ramdisk function will be automatically disabled.

No plans for today but I'm sure something will present itself.

[Image: P3282303.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4673.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-04-2013

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P2231995.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-05-2013

Hi all.

On week 5 of the new job and still like being there.

Saturday got my 2013 MTH club car a 50' PS-1 box C&O with Chessie pic on one end 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-05-2013

AF350 Wrote:Hi all.

On week 5 of the new job and still like being there.
Any job you like is worth sticking with.

Good morning. It's 76° with 100% humidity. It already feels like 87°. The high will be 98° and will likely feel like 110°. The forecast says there will be plenty of sunshine.

[Image: cond026.gif]

Only plan for today is to clean the place up a bit. Trash needs to go out and clutter needs to be thinned out. Other than that I won't be doing much.

[Image: DSCN1530.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4353.jpg]