The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-05-2013

Good morning all. Weatherwise, blah, rain in the forecast, the newspaper comes in a plastic bag, everyone expects rain and what to we get, record heat that's what. Well the record yesterday was not the highest temp for the day, but the lowest. It only got down to 90, making it a record high low... I guess that's the term. Anyway, it makes for a really hot night and really high A/C bills. It seems like it never turns off. Still a chance of rain in the forecast... or not, depending on who you listen to. My bet is a big NO RAIN.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-05-2013

Morning. Sunny and low humidity. Feels good outside. Busy day. First Monday of each month means meetings!!!!! Good to be back from lake house and entertaining in-laws galore. Icon_lol

AF350 Wrote:Hi all.

On week 5 of the new job and still like being there.

Glad to hear that. Means my SS check will be right on time. Thumbsup 357

Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-05-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a below average temp of 66, not August at all except on the calendar.
Oh well the A/C has been off for over a week now. And the open windows feel just fine.
No biggie yesterday, some laptop and TV was most of my day.
Enjoy one of the last few Mondays of summer.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-05-2013

The humidity here is so high it sounds like it's raining inside the a/c unit. Feels like it's 96 outside right now. I still have to pack out the trash too. Just checked postal service tracking and it looks like the two Mitac disk drives I bought are both arriving today. One came from Ohio, the other from California. I'll check the California shipment just to see if it has one of those 'This item contains something or another that's known to' blah, blah, blah. I seriously doubt it. It would be a laugh though if it did. I was just looking at my layout and wondering how long it'll take to construct a new park area that's big enough to hold the track that will cross it. Of course that'll have to wait until I'm back on my feet, quite literally. It doesn't hurt to formulate some kind of plan though.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-05-2013

Got the two Mitac disk drives. One worked right out of the box with no problems. The other one would just sit there spinning the disk with no other signs of life. Well, that's about what I expected for $10. I chased the problem down and found that the controller board for the motors was bad. I had another board just like it on an Apple drive but there's some soldered wires that have to be taken off then resoldered and I really didn't feel like doing that. So I considered my options. Here I had a drive with a bad motor controller. I had an Apple drive chassis with a bad control board. The solution was obvious. I put the Mitac control board on the Apple chassis and viola, it worked. I had a good drive. It was a simple matter to remove the Mitac chassis from it's case and install the Apple chassis in it's place. It was a perfect fit. The drive has been tested and is working perfectly! On the outside it looks like any other Mitac drive. Same story inside until you look closely at the data sticker on the chassis and see Apple. So as I look at it I have two new disk drives. A Mitac and a Miple.

The Mitac drives are on the left (obviously). On the right (top to bottom) are a Franklin Ace 10, an Apple Disk II and a Quentin AP-100 (I think. The label is gone).

[Image: DSCN4688-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Darkwing - 08-05-2013

Hi guys. Running Bear told me I needed to pop in and get the new address. I did not know it had changed. I have had my nose too close to the grindstone lately. Nope

I had the Mitac drives apart today for inspection, cleaning, repair and tightening of anything loose. I gave the shells a nice coat of silver metallic paint. The paint covers three decades of scuff marks. The drives work flawlessly and now they look as good as they work. I still have two more items coming in the mail. An 80 column/64k memory expansion card that's coming from Indiana and a 2.5 foot Disk II drive cable that's coming from Bulgaria.

Well I got my exercise today. I packed three fifty-five gallon cans of trash out to the roadside, one can at a time. After the third can I was coming back up the driveway real slow. That was enough for today.

Well it's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P2081906.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4694.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-05-2013

Greetings, gang, from Sleeper State Park in Michigan.

Right now it's 63 and cloudy. There's a 60% chance of rain from now through Wed. evening. Not really good weather for camping. Last year when we were here it wasn't much good either. Highs in the 90s. Good thing the brother-in-law's camper had an air conditioner. This year I guess we'll find out if it leaks. 357

We've been super busy for all of the last two weeks. These people live at a pace that would wear me out very quickly. Maybe part of it is that I've been retired for almost 8 years. Oh, well. By this time next week I'll be sleeping in my own bed.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-06-2013

Hello all.

Ate some leftover sausage gravy and biscuits when I got home tonight. Biscuits were made from scratch and the gravy was a mix(better than canned but not as good as scratch) Popcornbeer

Had green beans and potatoes with salt pork in a pressure cooker for two days in a row.

Have the next two days off then go in on first shift Thursday 35

No train news so far this week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-06-2013

nachoman Wrote:Don - going to need to change the logo in the upper left corner.

Notice Kevin that we did that yesterday. The new logo just had a few minor changes, but it now readsm "KEEP IT GAUGED AT BIGBLUETRAINS.COM", plus we included the words, "BIG BLUE TRAIN FORUM" to further define who and what we are. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-06-2013

Good morning. It's 78° with 95% humidity. Outside it feels like 88°. The high will be 98° but will feel like 106°. Somebody must have ordered sunshine because we're getting a lot of it this week.
[Image: cond026.gif]

No plans for today but I'm reasonably certain something will present itself.

[Image: P3032023.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4712.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-06-2013

And a pleasant good morning to you all. Weather-wise, I did catch a few drops of rain hitting the ground when I went out for the morning paper. Yeah, I've subscribed to paper delivery ever since I got out of the service. I'm just wondering how long it's going to be before they decide to go digital only. I had just renewed my subscription to PCWorld magazine, when the next issue showed up announcing that this would be their last printed issue. Somehow it just doesn't seem right to have to go to a computer screen to read the daily newspaper or a magazine. I had an option to ask for a refund and they send me a check last week. I really hope the Arizona Republic doesn't follow this trend or I might have to get some sort of e-reader so I can sit in my chair and pretend to be reading the newspaper. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. :cry:

Anyway, back to the weather, we're not suppose to get past the mid-90's today, and there is a 30% chance of rain. I can almost believe it since I must have counted over 100 drops of what could have been rain on the sidewalk earlier. Icon_lol Yes, I'm being sarcastic once again. Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-06-2013

Morning. Slept late. [unusual] Shower came through. Now sunny. No meetings today [can't believe it]. Got lots of chores to do. Sad about PA Town Hall shootings. We have the PD Chief and Captain at all of our meetings. No threats but good insurance. Fiat, good camping. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 08-06-2013

Well been a while won in 2 different auctions Brass Williams Shark nose A/B units one is PRR in Tuscan red and the other is NYC in Grey Got the NYC thru regular mail today and the PRR is supose to come via Fedex this afternoon/early evening. Wife still ribs me about the time we working in the yard and the mail man pulled up and I just took the wheel barrow to his truck as I knew I had like 6 packages coming that day he thought it was funny.

Well hope all have been doing well will stop in again in nead future

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-06-2013

Nothing special today other than I adjusted the Quentin disk drive. It was off on it's read/write speed by 52.8 milliseconds. I got it down to +/- 4.5 milliseconds of baseline. Can't get it any lower without an oscilloscope provided I knew how to use one. I made do using the recommended settings in a maintenance manual. It's for an Apple drive but I figure an Apple compatible should be pretty much the same.

Have to talk with my father tomorrow about some things he wants to discuss about the upcoming operation. He tried telling me what they are today from work but the phone connection was so bad I couldn't understand him. That's OK. He'll be home tomorrow.

It's still 89 here. Supposed to be a low of 75 tonight. Well it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P3062045.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4697.jpg]