The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-08-2013

RB,

Hope all turns out for the best.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-08-2013

Well worked first shift today, got off at 3:30 and it has been a non-stop downpour right up till now. I feel like a wet dog only without the smell Icon_lol

Last meal for the day was a grilled cheese sandwich.

Not much else new here.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-08-2013

AF350 Wrote:Last meal for the day was a grilled cheese sandwich.
Last meal today was two tacos, a beef enchilada and a chili con queso chased with a Dr Pepper and a strawberry ice cream cone.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-08-2013

Made it back from Oakdale in one piece. Everything with the prelim paperwork went well. Had blood tests done, got a chest X-ray, an EKG was done and we got the standard orientation about the upcoming surgery and the possible hazards about same. On getting back to Leesville we had dinner at Los Mayas Mexican restaurant. I exercised my God-given right as a son to embarrass his father in public and let the staff know that today is my fathers birthday. So they came out playing the guitar and plopped a large sombrero on his head while singing Happy Birthday in Spanish. My step-mother cracked up laughing and I had the pleasure of watching his face turn six shades of red while he just smiled like the kid who had just been given the keys to the candy store and the owner is on vacation. I have to back in Oakdale Monday morning at 7am for the start of the procedure.

If you've been keeping up with my computer rebuilds you know that I recently got two Mitac disk drives. One of these worked right out of the box when I got it but the other one needed work. I replaced the chassis in it with an Apple Shugart chassis. Externally the drives are identical and I want to know which drive has the Shugart mechanism at a glance. The solution was very simple. I'll give you three guesses which drive it is but you only need one.

[Image: DSCN4732.jpg]

I'll be going back to Oakdale Monday morning to have the operation done and hopefully everything will go well. I'll likely be spending a few days there afterward before being allowed to return to Leesville. Over the weekend I'll be moving some of this computer equipment to my fathers place so I can have something there to work on while I'm living there. I don't want to be bored the death after all. The only computer down there is one I built shortly after hurricane Rita flattened this part of the state in 2005. I put it there so my mother could use it in her genealogy work. I use it once in a while to get online sometimes and my father attempts to use it when he feels he needs to fry his brain. He's usually doing good to turn it on. Besides moving the computer stuff I also need to move my tools and diagnostic equipment. So I think I'm going to be a little busy this weekend. I probably need to mow the grass tomorrow too.

Well that's all for now. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1479.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-08-2013

We are now back home. The trip from Port Huron was quick; customs was cleared very quickly.
Now I'm trying to find out where we keep things in this house!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-09-2013

Good morning. It's 74° with 93% humidity. It feels like 81° at this time. The high will be 98° and will feel like 110°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond20.jpg]

Today I plan on getting the grass mowed an start on moving some stuff down to my fathers place. Maybe get some laundry done. Nothing else is on my schedule.

[Image: DSCN1468.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-09-2013

Good Morning Blue
Only big news this morning is the Tigers took 4 games at Cleveland giving them a 7 game lead.
Of course it ain't over yet.
No special plans for today, no toy train news.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-09-2013

Morning all. RB, take it easy. Don't over do. Hot and extra humid here.

Buddy I went to see in LA CA running steam engine at Knott's Berry Farm. Wed afternoon he fell from the deck of the steam engine and hit the lower step. Shattered his left leg. Surgery today to put in plate and screw broken bones to it. Bone broken up and down and not across. One bone is broken across and is set. Did not cut his overalls off until yesterday morning. He posts here some. Don Baker.

[Image: ry%3D400]

Prayers for Don.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-09-2013

Good morning all, a nice day in store for everyone I hope. Mine started off good, we made it to Walmart just before 7AM and I headed to the sports dept since if they have ammo, they put it out just after 7. Only one guy waiting for ammo to show up, just him and me and so I thought they weren't going to have any since by then there is usually a dozen people waiting, some as long as an hour. He said he looked on the Net and found they had ammo today, and sure enough, I was able to get three small (333) bricks of .22. I also found out how to know what's going to be delivered that day. It seems as if there's a smart phone app to be able to find out what's on the truck, that's why if there's no line, there probably isn't going to be any. But I now know how to find out just from my desktop.
2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
The ammo shortage must be easing off a bit since Walmart had a three box limit regardless of the size of the box or the caliber. Now it's a three box limit per caliber. Up till now, some would buy a box of .22's at Walmart for $25, and resell it on Backpage.com for $100 with ease.

Oh joy, oh joy, let's hope the rest of the day goes as well. Big Grin And no, I'm not reselling any of what I just bought. Nope

And weather-wise, we were the hottest spot in the nation yesterday at 107. Not a record but hot nonetheless. Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-09-2013

Don Baker: I hope that leg heals up well. Prayers for you.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 08-09-2013

Chief - Let him know we're all wishing him well!!!!
That will be an interesting railroad story once he heals..

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-09-2013

Good evening all,

Day started off with a cool mist in the air but is getting warmer just right for another possible downpour and storm.

Prayers and thoughts for RB and Don.

Well I've had a very busy day. This morning I moved the enhanced Apple IIe and the old IIe I rescued from the school (the one that needs parts) to my room at my fathers place. I put the rescue unit in the closet and set the enhanced IIe up on a drawing table.

Back here at my trailer I have the black Apple set up. No, it's not a Darth Vader, just a run of the mill 1982 IIe painted black. It's my mothers old unit. I upgraded it from 64k to 128k and enabled double hi-res graphics. I also put in a 1984 keyboard. I have it hooked up to two old disk drives and an 11" trash-80 VM-4 monitor, and in this case the name applies. I literally rescued the monitor from a dumpster back in the late 90's. Half the controls don't work and the case is cracked but it works well for green-screen. And it has a tendency to hum a little bit.

[Image: DSCN4736.jpg]

I also got three bags of laundry done. I was hoping I could get the blood stains out of my socks so they wouldn't look so garish. I figured I had nothing to lose so I swiped one of my nieces Oxy-Clean balls and tossed it in the wash. I looked at the clothes when I took them out of the dryer. I'm sold on that Oxy-Clean. It even got the automotive grease stains out. Next time I go grocery shopping I'm getting a bag of those balls.

I also got the yard mowed. My father got a little battery powered pump that makes refueling the tractors a lot easier. I can fill the gas tank in less than a minute and I don't have to lift the can. Great little device. It runs on two 'D' size flashlight batteries. I generally have to fill the tank twice to mow the entire yard.

I should sleep well tonight. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1486.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-09-2013

We went to the Highland Games near here.
As part of the tattoo, they tried to set a world record -- the most cabers tossed simultaneously.
For the non-Scots, a caber is a 15-20 foot telephone pole. The competitor picks up the small end in both hands, holding it vertically, and then tries to toss it so that it lands on the big end and turns over -- small end farthest from competitor. The quality looked for is a straight throw -- landing straight out in front. A position from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock is considered to have turned.
So, the number required for the record is 50. They have recruited 61 brawny lads (and a lassie or two) who are lined up down both sides of the field and after the count toss the cabers.
Guinness apparently would have tolerated 50 successive tries. After a couple of attempts they had gotten 49 acceptable, but then the total went down and they stopped.
I could see that somewhere about midway down there was a group of about 8 cabers that were tangling together.
Sorry, no pics.