The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-30-2013

RB:
my unit - I think it's a Varney FA.
No chassis at all. The mechanism is a motor truck connected to the other truck with a plastic sleeve. Each truck has a "bolster" that is a plastic plate that is screwed to the bottom of the body shell.
It's still packed away. I don't dare take it apart as it's beginning to suffer from what the Germans call "Zincpest".

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-31-2013

Greetings, gang.

It's a partly cloudy 63 degrees outside my window this morning. High for today is expected to be about 91. This should be the last hot day. There's a 40% chance of thunderstorms tonight followed by much cooler weather tomorrow.

Last night I stripped the paint off of a caboose I'm repainting. I wasn't sure how well the alcohol bath would work as I had used an automotive primer. A couple hours in the alcohol and it was clean as a whistle. Today I'll use a Scalecoat primer and finish coat. The only other plan for today is college football at 7 tonight.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-31-2013

AF350 Wrote:RB,

Sounds like you are getting back on the fast track with locomotive kitbashing and rebuilding. Thumbsup
I just need something to do.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-31-2013

Good morning. It's 75° with 91% humidity. The high will be 98° but will feel like 107°.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Not much going on today and I have no plans set. According to USPS tracking the Varney metal F3A went through Shreveport last night, so I should be getting it today.

[Image: P1010125-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-31-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a cloudy muggy 72 this morning.
A storm about 90 minutes long arrived just in time to mess with Tiger baseball and many Friday night football games.
The Tigers got a 7 inning rain delayed win. A couple weeks ago they lost one that way so now they got one back.
No travel plans for this holiday, we will be staying near home.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - jwb - 08-31-2013

Yeah, RB, it sounds like you're snapping right back, it's great to read your posts.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-31-2013

Good morning all. A nice cool and somewhat damp morning here. Really bad storms in the SW and northern parts of the valley, but here, we watched the TV weather reports and could see the storm and rain pass just to the north of us. We were left with just a sprinkle yesterday, and just a bit more than that right now. Hey, we'll take what we can get. Worship

It is good to see how well RB is taking all that's happened to him. We salute your for you bravery and ability to take this in stride, and do wish you are back with two legs very soon. Thumbsup Thumbsup

I received several packages today. Two I was expecting. Those are the Varney F3 dummy loco and a video game - Doom3.

[Image: DSCN4766.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4767.jpg]

I wasn't expecting this. Complete surprise to me. Sender unknown:

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 08-31-2013

Nice bunch of cars you have there Running Bear! Smile

I'll be waiting to see what you do with (or to) them Big Grin

BR60103 Wrote:RB:
my unit - I think it's a Varney FA.
No chassis at all. The mechanism is a motor truck connected to the other truck with a plastic sleeve. Each truck has a "bolster" that is a plastic plate that is screwed to the bottom of the body shell.
What you're describing looks a lot like what's on my powered F3. The frame is held in the body by a single screw.

[Image: varney3.jpg]

The unit below is a dummy but the front truck is likely connected to the frame like the one on yours is.

[Image: DSCN4778.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4777.jpg]

When my powered F3 is in hand (should be here middle of this coming week) I'll take some close photos of how it's set up.

Played Doom3 for the first time today. Did fair for a beginner. I actually found the missing scientist and was about to take him back to headquarters. I made the mistake of turning my back on him. When I looked back at him he had turned into a demon and the stinky stuff hit the fan! I gave a good accounting of myself but he mopped the floor with me then punched my ticket. Next time I'm going in prepared and fully loaded. God, Give all and Give keys. Ain't cheat codes great?

I looked at the old O.K. Streamline passenger cars and decided I'll have to look at them some more after I've gone through the parts that came with them. I estimate they're at least forty years old, maybe as old as sixty years and are going to need some TLC to get them into shape.

There should be two Athearn chassis coming in Tuesday. Then I'll be able to get to work on the metal Varney F3A dummy and turn it into a power unit.

That's all for today. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010119.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-31-2013

RB: the mechanism looks like mine. I just think that my body casting is one piece including the frame.

I bought some more lumber today -- I need cleats for the layout framing. I found a lumber yard that had 1x1 in stock -- 1x1x4feet called nailing strips or such. Very rough and pressure treated but only 49 cents a stick.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-01-2013

Morning all. Hot and humid for what is suppose to be the end of summer. Walked miles yesterday around fields and in the woods. Planted winter food plots and moved some stands. Hope everyone has a great month of September. Off to Sunday School.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-01-2013

Good morning. It's 74° with 93% humidity. The high will be 95° and will feel like 106°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

Today I intend to inspect the O.K. shorty Streamline passenger cars I received yesterday. My initial 'quick' inspection yesterday showed that they need a lot of work. Perhaps with a more thorough inspection I'll be able to find some shortcuts. One I can see on the RPO right now is one of the grabs looks like it needs to be replaced. But if I squeeze it with my pliers I should be able to straighten it without removing it from the car.

Any work on the Varney F3 is at a standstill for now until I get the parts I need for it. Hence the Athearn chassis that are due Tuesday. Haven't heard anything yet on the powered Varney F3. It'll probably ship Tuesday. Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday! I'm starting to sound like the captain of the Enterprise-B explaining that many important things they need NOW won't be installed until Tuesday.

No other plans for today. Yet.

[Image: P1010084.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-01-2013

Good Morning Blue
Cloudy and 68 this morning.
No news this morning, it was the first Saturday of football. Smile
AND the Tigers won as well.(I still snuck in a nap)
A chat with Brutus and RT last night finished my day.
S.J.