The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-01-2013

I spent the morning working on the O.K. passenger cars. Just little stuff like gluing doors back in place, putting window film back in place, putting vents on some cars, fitting an antenna to the roof of the observation car, mounted trucks on said observation car as well as put the end panel in it (that was a pain in the butt). The ends in one of the cars were cracked so I replaced them with a couple I found in the parts bag. I also straightened a few bent grabs. The RPO is the only car that has them. A stirrup under one of the doors was a royal pain in the butt.There's a couple of cars that need diaphragms. I don't know where I'm gonna find those. Did I say that the cars are all metal? Well except for the floor and underside detail of some of them. The others are all metal.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - jwb - 09-01-2013

Scott, I think I could dig up some Walthers folded-paper ones from my supply of old stuff. Could you use those? If so, PM me with your address.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-01-2013

jwb Wrote:Scott, I think I could dig up some Walthers folded-paper ones from my supply of old stuff. Could you use those? If so, PM me with your address.
PM sent.

Here's one of the cars I worked on today, the RPO.

I straightened some of the grabs as best I could with the few tools I have on hand. Pliers, needlenose pliers, small flat blade screwdriver. Using the pliers I could straighten grabs that were bent to one side or the other. Using the screwdriver I could push or pry grabs that were bent in toward the car or out away from it by pressing or prying. a couple of the roof vents were missing so I replaced those. The doors were loose or knocked out completely. They were still with the car so I opened it up and glued the doors back in place and straightened up the mess that was the window glazing. One of the grabs on the roof is still bent as I never got around to straightening it. There's a lot of what I'm guessing is supposed to be rust around the doors and on some parts of the body. As I have neither paint nor brush I'll leave it be for now. The car still needs a lot of work but it already looks much better than it did yesterday. Here are some photos taken after the work was done today.

[Image: DSCN4801.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4802.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4819.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4817.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4818.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 09-01-2013

That's some nbeat work RB!! Smile Not too bad with the limited tools that you have there... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-02-2013

Good morning. It's 74° with 98% humidity. The high will be 98° but it'll feel like 109°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond20.jpg]

I'll likely be working on the baggage car today. It's a bit of an odd bird. It has one coupler body mounted and the other coupler is truck mounted. It doesn't need much in the way of real repair work. Most of that I already did when I glued the doors back in place and redid the window glazing. Mostly it needs a good clean-up. Other than that I have no plans for today.

[Image: DSCN4786.jpg]

[Image: P1010078.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-02-2013

Good morning all. Today's forecast is hot and muggy. There's a 10% chance of rain, but then again there was a 20% chance yesterday and we hit the 80% portion of that. Temps are suppose to be pushing 110 by mid-week. Sometimes I wonder why we stay here, then I think of the winters and I know why....

Today is Labor Day in the US, I'm not sure if that means we are suppose to take it easy today or work harder... I think I know which one I'll choose. 357

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-02-2013

Greetings, gang.

Happy Labor Day. Those who live in countries that do not observe Labor Day may participate vicariously through us.

The heat wave has finally broken for a few days. Yesterday's high was a very pleasant 81 with today's predicted high to be 77. Right now it's 55 degrees. Our overnight low for tonight is predicted to be in the upper 40s. Highs by the end of the week are supposed to be near 90 again. However, there is no significant chance of rain for at least the next 7 days.

Saturday I got the extended vision caboose repainted and yesterday I got the decals applied. Today I hope to get the rest of the decals on and apply the DullCoat. After that it will need to be weathered. Also on the agenda is a bike ride.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-02-2013

Morning all. Hot and humid. Can see humidity. Sun is "pulling" it out of the ground. Had un-forecasted 3.25 inches in a short while yesterday evening. Flooded things. Been trying to send it to Fiat as he needs it. More forecasted for this afternoon. Hope not. Enough for a few days. I do know my food plots down east got soaked which they needed. Thanks to all you laborers for your contribution to my SS check. Wink

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-02-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a cloudy 69 degrees this morning.
No calls from the kids, no surprise there, so we will have home made tater salad and ribs.
I am sad that summer is gone but have no choice but to move on.
No news from the train store.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-02-2013

I did some polishing on the F3 today. It shined up pretty good. It won't be that way long though probably. I think Zamak tarnishes pretty quick.

[Image: DSCN4837.jpg]

And i added some vents to the roofs of some the streamliners. They may be right, they may be wrong. I don't care. They look good to me.

[Image: DSCN4826.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4825.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4823.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4821.jpg]

Earlier today, owing to the fact that it's a dummy unit, the F3 didn't have a hole in front for a headlight. Nor did it have a vent on the top rear of the cab. Now it has both. The vent is one of the extras from the streamliner cars superglued to the top of the cab. The headlight was a little trickier. Ever drilled a hole through Zamac? Well if you ever did you'd remember doing it. I used a 1/8" bit in my Dremel to do the job. First off the bit wanted to wander all over he place. So I had to hold the loco shell vertical then the cord end of the Dremel under my chin and very slowly and carefully bring the spinning bit down until it just touched the headlight blank on the front of the loco and let it make a small pilot hole in the very center, then I slowly put the pressure to it. Geez, that shell is thick! I pushed the bit through about 3/8th's of an inch before it broke through the other side. I cleared any debris from the hole then put some clear glue in it to act as a lens.

[Image: DSCN4844.jpg]

Been busy today as you can tell by the posts I made throughout the day. Now since I've been up since 3:30 this morning I'm running on fumes. It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010051-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-03-2013

Morning all. Off to Dr.'s for blood work. County Commissioners later. Then off to the lake house. Back in a few. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-03-2013

Good morning. It's 77° with 95% humidity. The high will be 95° but will feel like 107°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond30.jpg]

I should be getting two Athearn F7 chassis today, one a standard blue box and the other a superpower. Then I can set about the job of putting a powered drive in the Varney F3 body. I'll probably do some work on the passenger cars as well.

[Image: P1010058.jpg]