The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-03-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a hazy 61 this morning.
First day of school here. A sad day for me, meaning summer is over.
We had a nice holiday meal at home yesterday, ribs, homemade tater salad and fresh veggies from the garden.
I have already been out this morning to get a hair(s) cut.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-03-2013

Good morning all. Nice day here right now. Temps in the low 80's, but humidity and dew points up in the high 60's. We could see rain off in the distance, but none here even though the forecast is for 20% chance of rain. Usually for this time of the year, the dust storms and rain don't show up until late in the afternoon. They try to explain it, having to do with the sun heating things up and the moisture rising and being captured by the clouds and all that some other stuff that you can't make sense of, but that's why the pay them those big bucks to become a media "personality".

I'm working on my challenge a bit more, but I doubt that I'll get even close to finishing since we've got less than two weeks, and one of the kits is far more complicated than it first looked. Eek

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-03-2013

Just FYI, we have opened a new N scale auction for one of the last remaining BB&G anniversary cars. you can find the auction here, so feel free to bid on it. All the proceeds go to help support these forums, so we ask you to please be generous when bidding. If you're not into N scale, it's still a neat memento to have and display. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-03-2013

I got the two Athearn powered F7 drives today and a dummy F7 frame with the old style trucks with metal side frames that were used in the 70's. I used that frame to determine what I'd have to lop off of a modern Athearn frame to make it fit in the Varney F3 shell. I already had a pretty fair idea. So I had to remove the two tabs on the sides that would clip into an Athearn F7 body as the Varney F3 doesn't has the slots for them. I also had to remove the four small ears that keep the Ahearn body level on the frame. On the Varney these hit right on the ladders and therefore they had to go. Next remove the front coupler as the Varney doesn't have an opening for it. After doing those three simple things the frame was an easy press fit into the F3 body. I repeated that process on an Athearn standard blue box F7 chassis and the Varney now has a powered drive in it. I also have an Athearn blue box F7 superpower drive that will be going into a Varney F3 plastic body I'll be getting later this week, probably Friday.

Anyhow, here's the metal F3 body on the Athearn dummy frame. This is much how it'll look on the Frankenstein frame after I get back into my trailer.

[Image: DSCN4851.jpg]

Got an underside shot:
[Image: DSCN4868.jpg]

And this shot just seems wrong on so many counts!:
[Image: DSCN4860.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-03-2013

Been another busy day. Did more work on the Varney F3. It now has an Athearn blue box powered drive. That's a heavy beast! Made use of my walker to get outside and just sit on the porch for a while. Felt good to get out of the house for a bit. Passenger cars are coming along a bit more. I cleaned some of the rust weathering of some of them. Well that's all for now. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN4878.jpg]

[Image: P1010043.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 09-04-2013

Nice pics RB - Glad to hear that you're getting out once in a while Smile Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-04-2013

Greetings, gang.

It's a sunny 61 degrees this morning headed for a high of 87. Not quite as cool as yesterday morning's low of 46.

Not much happening around here for the last few days. Work is progressing slowly on the caboose repaint. I also need to get out and fix the wiring connector for the outdoor train. The exposed portion of the wiring has been suffering the ravages of time and weather.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-04-2013

Good morning. It's 74° with 95% humidity. The high will be 95° but will feel like 103°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond20.jpg]

No particular plans for today. I can't do much more model work until the new chuck for my Dremel comes in and at this point it's still in California. But I'm sure something of interest will turn up.

[Image: DSCN4881.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-04-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 64 degrees, low 80s for 1 day only.
RB I sold a lot of Athearn when I worked at P & D hobby, those big old motors drew a lot of current but were good runners.
I wonder what the prices are for new ones now days.
Dining out with a former co-worker this evening, lots of catching up to do.
No news from the train store.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-04-2013

Good morning all. It's going to be miserable outside today, it could get up over 110, humidity and dew points high and there's a 20% chance of rain. All making for a very uncomfortable day.

I've been working on my orphan challenge the last few days. It's kind of rare that i have the spare time, but I do right now and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'm working on a Con-Cor butane tank kit I bough at a train swap meet a few years ago thinking it will make a good addition to the fuel depot that I committed to build for the challenge. I paid $5 for it and now I know why the guy didn't want to build it. I often wonder if the manufacturers ever have a test group come in and actually build their kits before they release them to the public. No suggestions on the best way to tackle some of the 80 pieces that make up the framework. There's no room for error on this one, get one piece off just a fraction, and you are headed for trouble down the line. They should have put on the package, "some dis-assembly and re-assembly required". Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-04-2013

Well I spent much of the day working on the Varney F3A and an ancient F7 B unit, maker unknown. I was thinking it was Athearn but it doesn't have the tab slots that seem to be on all Athearn F's with the exception of a few HI-F models I've worked, but this doesn't appear to be from that era. Right now it's on a modern Athearn F7 chassis that's had the mounting tabs removed from the sides of the fuel tank. The ends of the shell had to modified slightly to allow it to sit correctly on the coupler mounts. The Varney has been put through a simple test to see if the motor works. I connected it to a 12-volt DC power source and it runs like a scalded dog. I put it on a postal scale and it maxed the scale out. I can't wait to see how much it can pull!

Well that's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN4887.jpg]

[Image: P1010009-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-05-2013

Good morning. It's 72° with 100% humidity. The high will be 95° but will feel like 104°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond20.jpg]

Lots of thunderstorms in this area yesterday. Some rain, very little wind, no damage to speak of.

Today I have somewhat of a mystery I'm trying to solve. I have an F7B shell that I can't identify the maker of. Here's a photo:

[Image: DSCN4891.jpg]

At the moment it's on a modified Athearn chassis. The number on the shell is either 9508-B or 9506-B. I did a Google search and 9508-B comes back to a Proto 1000 F3B. Totally different animal. 9506-B comes back to an Athearn F7B but it has the slots in the sides to mate with the tabs on the frame. This shell doesn't have those slots. It has everything else but not the slots. I thought AHM could have made a copy but no dice. Their 9506 is a C-Liner. Anybody have any clue? I'm tapped out.

I may get into town today to do some grocery shopping. But that's not set in stone yet. No other plans.

[Image: P1010188.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-05-2013

Good Morning Blue
We will have a sunny Hi of 72 today.
A good chat with some of the guys last night.
No news from the train store.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-05-2013

Got a Varney F3 today that has a working drive. I told someone here I'd some photos so here they are.

[Image: DSCN4904.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4901.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4896.jpg]

Got some grocery shopping done today. Received a Varney Burlington F3A in the mail. It has it's original drive. It runs but not very fast. The motor is a bit stiff. It'll work better later when I can get some CRC 2-26 into it. It's an old Pittman DC-71 open frame motor so that won't be a problem. The drive system is intact and all eight wheels pull. If I can't save the motor I can always swap out the chassis with one from an Athearn F7 or one the Athearn clones. Also got a seven piece Dremel drill bit set. Now I just need the chuck. I can use the chuck I have but getting bits in and out of it can be rough as the chucks teeth tend to jam. When that happens I have to remove the chuck, pound it on the table top several times the shove a screwdriver into the back of it and force the bit out.

Well that's all for today. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN4904.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4908.jpg]