The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-07-2013

Been working on the metal F3A this morning. I cut out the front coupler opening in the pilot and I drilled out the portholes. That was almost like w*rk! The coupler opening isn't exactly squared but it's good enough for me. I drilled a pilot hole with a 1/8" bit from the back side. Then using a cordless slow speed drill I went to the next bigger bigger bit and wallowed the hole out to either side then went to the next bigger bit, etc until I got up to 1/4". I then used an engraving bit of all things to square the hole (oval at that point) as much as I could.

For the portholes I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole dead center in each one without a drill press, just my Dremel held in my hand. It took a lot of time, a lot of patience and a lot of care. I then used the cordless drill again as I had to go to a 5/32" bit then a 3/16". Using my Dremel again I used a small diamond bit to clean up the holes and remove any burs. Now for the photos.

[Image: DSCN4938.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4931.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-07-2013

Afternoon. Had busy morning with a Early Literacy thingy at elementary school. Came home and Wifey wanted to go to Lowe's. Now to install [replace] two low voltage sidewalk lights. Then MOW. Went to farms yesterday. Shot a few pesty squirrels that were eating our corn and the deer feeders [yes the feeders too]. Food plots planted last Sat. are up and looking good. Later today got to drive 60 miles to the place where we are having rehearsal dinner for Oldest wedding. Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-07-2013

Won another Varney all-metal F3A in an Ebay auction today, one of the very few times I've bothered to compete in one. I usually just pay the 'Buy-It-Now' price and be done with it. However this time there weren't any on the buy it now list but there were close to a dozen on the auction list. I tried for a pair of Varney metal F3B shells last night but was outbid and the same on a metal F3A this morning. Third time was the charm. Put in a max bid of $21 and I came out as top bidder. It should be here by the end of this coming week, sometime from the 10th to the 12th. I intend to put it on an Athearn drive like I did the one I worked on today.

[Image: varney5.jpg]

It's been a busy day and I'm tired. Working on that F3 was a challenge. The first time I tried drilling out the portholes in one it didn't turn out so good. Bu my drill bits weren't so good either. the best I could do is press hard while the metal came out in fine flakes. Today the Zamac was spiraling off in long curly-Q's. I had to work to keep the drills speed slow so it wouldn't cut through too fast or possibly vibrate the Zamac enough to damage it. I have seen cases where it shattered.

Well that's enough for today. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN4940.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-08-2013

Good morning. It's 68° with 100% humidity. The high will be 95° but it will feel like 103°.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Well so far this morning I've drilled out the portholes on the Burlington F3. This one is plastic so it was a snap. For those who are interested I use a 7/32 bit. Right now I have no plans for the day.

[Image: P1010145.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4942.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-08-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a breezy morning with sun and 67 degrees.
Nothing doing outside yesterday, sinus' are draining so I spent a lot of yesterday on the couch watching Football.
Most of you are H O but the fall Lionel catalog has reached the stores and is available for viewing. Take homes have not arrived yet.
Enjoy your Sunday.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-08-2013

Greetings, gang.

It's cloudy and 73 degrees this morning with 82% humidity. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 80s. Not too bad but we'll be leaving the a/c on for one more day as tomorrow's high is supposed to be 98. After that the weather should begin to cool down to more seasonable temperatures.

Not much accomplished yesterday other than wash my bike and lube the chain. Today we've been to Menards and bought a new shower door. Ran in to a problem as it wouldn't fit in the car. Right now I'm trying to find transportation to get the door home.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-08-2013

Afternoon. Back from Sunday School and a Church meal. Now to go zero some rifles. Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-08-2013

Good morning all, cloudy and wet right now. Thumbsup Not a lot of rain, but we've had a few showers come through this morning. Yesterday was OK, we drove though a bit of rain when we went out target shooting, but it was dry as a bone by the time we got to where we shoot. It's a place called Flatiron Mountain, a bit over 50 miles west of here. It seems as if ever expanding city limits and other government restrictions make it difficult to find a shooting spot nearby. We do have some indoor and outdoor shooting ranges a bit closer, but the formality and the though of shooing next to people that you have no idea if they can handle a gun safely, just drives us further out in the desert. Besides, it's more fun shooting at plastic bottles and golf balls and watching them fly into the air if you hit them just right. 2285_ Shoot

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-08-2013

Evening all. Had a shooting good time. Zeroed 6 of my rifles and of my two buddies' rifles. Now I'm tired as I cleaned 6 rifles and put them in the safe. Busy Mayor week ahead. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-08-2013

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010152.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 09-08-2013

Good morning all,

Just now winding down from work and then off to bed. Pretty much an uneventfull Sunday but do have Monday off 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-09-2013

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 70 degrees this morning with an expected high near 100. A good day to stay indoors.

No major plans for today other than a trip to the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-09-2013

Morning. Busy Mayor's week ahead and next week too. Wallbang Took Yorkie to groomer. Now get ready for "my duties". Hope all have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-09-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a cloudy 66 degrees this morning.
A quick trip to the grocery this morning while granny is canning tomatoes.
I watched the Lions football game yesterday and Columbo solved another murder.
S.J.