The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 09-14-2013

Good afternoon all,

I have to go in to work 2nd shift Sunday 4:00pm - 11:30pm home by midnight and then back to work 7:45am - 3:30pm Monday 35 2nd is a 7 hour shift and 1st is 7.25 hour shift, glad just to have a job at this point. Took my dad to the retire's picnic for his union(BCTGM) Baker's Confectionary Tobaccow workers and Grain Millers. There were other unions there as well mostly Teamsters. Free food and drinks(pop and Beer). I ate way too much at the picnic today 3 burgers and 3 hotdogs some beans and a hand full of cookies from the Kroger bakery(big one not the instore one). Kroger I think is the lone surving big union bakery in town. There used to be Omar, Wonder, Big Bear, Kroger and Blue Bird(non union but was a big bakery) they were all pretty much in the same area just north of downtown and it always smelled like fresh baked bread.

No real big train news other than I seen 2 Union Pacific locos at the parsons yard kinda unuseal but I have seen UP in Ohio a few times before mostly new shiney locos headed west, but this were road weathered and sitting in the yard close to the building.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-14-2013

RB, funny story about the mouse. They get smarter through the generations and may rule the world someday since it appears that mankind gets a bit dumber as we go along....

Not to top your story, but when we lived in Wickenburg, mice weren't a problem but pack rats were. We had put out bait and they would take it and store in under the hood of the truck. Rattlesnakes were also a problem and one day we came home to be greeted by a rattler that didn't look too well. We could see a lump about halfway down it made noises but couldn't move fast enough to do us any harm so I was able to chase it away with a hose spray. It got part of the way down the hill and that was it. Our conclusion is that the pack rat ate the poisonous bait and the snake ate the rat. Now the kicker to this story is that when we went down to pick up the snake a few hours later, the only thing left was it's head and rattlers. It was food for either the coyotes or the turkey vultures. If it was a coyote, then the vulture would have gotten it and we would have wiped out a while food chain. :o Now you know why we don't live in Wickenburg anymore.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-14-2013

Got the rear handrails on the polished Varney F3 today. No more handrails til I get more wire, this was .020" I believe. Might try getting something thinner next time. Maybe .018" or .015".

[Image: DSCN5079.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5067.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-14-2013

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1628.jpg]

[Image: P8120090.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - shortliner - 09-15-2013

RB - The little bu99ers are getting smarter!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_Zvl0yRD0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_Zvl0yRD0</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSBO8YAnTQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSBO8YAnTQ</a><!-- m -->

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Brakie - 09-15-2013

Good Morning All.
Not much to report from the land of Buckeyes other then I went to the hobby shop in Mansfield as planed yesterday and picked up some much needed modeling supplies and stopped for lunch at Coney Island instead of Skyline Chili as planned.I looked over the newest cars at the hobby shop and decided to pass since I'm on a MDC car kit kick.Odd thing that..I use to think the BB ACF boxcar was superior to these cars and now I realized these where the better cars.A old hound can learn new things.Speaking of boxcars..I seen a Bev-Bel/Athearn Berlin Mills 50 ACF boxcar but,the price was well beyond what I am willing to pay for a supped up Athearn BB boxcar.

Enough chatter.

I shall have a cup and look over the forum.

Have a good'un! Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-15-2013

Good morning all on this bright Sunday. Weather-cast for the next few days calls for a slight chance of rain. Temps will be above average in the low 100's. We're still about a month away from turning off the A/C though.

Today is the last day of the Orphan Challenge. I've been doing some work on mine, but I've got too much left to be finished in time. Anyone, like myself, that won't be able to finish, at least post what you've done so far. I will put everyone on the voting list that entered, regardless of whether they finished or not.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-15-2013

Good morning. It's 74° with 70% humidity. The high will be 92° but will feel like 98°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg]

I may clean up the shell of the newest of the F3's but other than that I have no plans for today. But there's always the chance that something will come up.

[Image: P6040422.jpg]

[Image: P5300393.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-15-2013

Greetings, gang.

The skies are a dull gray this morning, kinda matching my mood. Right now the temp is 61, having fallen a few degrees in the last two hours. High for today is supposed to be about 71 with a cool north wind.

Not much going on today. I checked out the Menards ad but didn't see anything I needed to rush out for.

RB - still chuckling over the mouse story.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-15-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a cloudy 60 degrees.
Our club meeting was well attended last night.
The new Lionel catalog looks like a garage sale.
Lots of leftovers in there.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-15-2013

Right now I'm taking a break from my current project, making handrails for the plastic Burlington Varney F3A. I ran out of wire yesterday finishing up the railings on one of the metal F3's. The wire I'm using now is what I could scrounge up, mostly salvaged from bread ties. The hardest part is straightening all the kinks and bends. It's thin stuff but I'll take whatever I can get. If you don't have what you need and can't get it then use what you can get. One tie I found is from one of those big freezer bags and is about eight inches long. So I have about a foot of thin wire. I'll use that as far as it'll go.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 09-15-2013

That's good news about your hand Brakie Smile Smile

Chief - sounds liek you'll be ready for popcorn and the recliner tonight Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Glad to hear your hand is doing better Larry. My left hand has been giving me fits. Two middle fingers keep locking up on me.

Got the handrails on the Burlington F3. It being plastic made the job a lot easier. I used my Dremel with a 105 engraving bit to remove the molded on handrails then cut new handrails from a piece of wire that was salvaged from one of those big freezer bag ties. I drilled the holes for the top of each handrail then crimped the top of the rail at a 90 degree angle and placed it in it's hole, made sure it was lined up at the top and bottom the applied a drop of super glue at the top and bottom to keep it in place. There's black lines left where the molded on rails were removed but they'll be covered when the shell is painted.

I'm performing an experiment with one of the metal shells. I'm attempting to make 'glass' in the portholes using clear tape and LocTite Go2 glue. So far it's looking good.

Handrails, engineer side, Burlington F3A:
[Image: DSCN5089.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5094.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5099.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-15-2013

Afternoon. Off to the lake house for a few. Rode lots of kiddies and parents yesterday on the Thomas the Tank Train at the bar-be-que cook off.

Later.

The 'glass' experiment was pretty much a success!

[Image: DSCN5100.jpg]