The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-06-2013

Good morning. It's 69° with 96% humidity. The high will be 78° and will feel like 83°.
[Image: cond006.gif][Image: cond70.jpg]

Looks like it might be wet today. I'm expecting my Apple //c disk drive to come in this morning. Odds are that my my Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 DVD will arrive today too.

I plan on doing more work on Paradise Cove (file 2) today. My hope is to get Nelson Street completed then I can start on the train room the character found earlier. I still haven't made up my mind. Should I put him on the layout as a willing participant viewing the action from the perspective of the railfan? Or do I put him on the train as an unwilling participant who has to search the train in order to find the item that will return him to reality before the train is beset by whatever fate awaits it. Gomez Addams beckons!

[Image: P1010007-10.jpg]

[Image: P1010023.jpg]

[Image: P1010022-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-06-2013

The Apple //c drive came this morning. Unfortunately it's non-op. It lights up and runs but other than that all it does is erase the DOS from track zero of any diskette I put in it. I opened it up for a look inside and right away I could smell fried circuits. I contacted the seller about it and he offered a fair refund. And I keep the drive as a curiosity. Even though it doesn't work it'll look good in my Frankenstein collection. It can be used as a paper weight or a door stop too.

I finally finished Nelson Street! Most of the addys were pretty easy to program as they were north to south or east to west. The last one had to be the odd bird! It runs northeast to southwest and should give the players mind a workout. I can't wait to spring it on Mr Raintree! He should get a blast out of it.

Maybe tomorrow or this weekend I can get started on the train room segment. I'm still debating on whether to make the character a railfan watching the trains pass or making him as someone who's a victim of foul play and is trapped on the train and has to search for the item that will set him free from the enchanted layout. I could have some serious fun with this.

Well it's time to call it a night. I'll see y'all tomorrow.

[Image: Imag0009.jpg]

[Image: P9180009.jpg]

[Image: Imag0003-3.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 11-06-2013

Bad day for that tanker....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-07-2013

Yeah, even if it is just lard.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-07-2013

Good morning. It's 44° with 93% humidity. The high will be 62° with some clouds.
[Image: cond026.gif]

No real plans for today. I may start on the planning for the train room at 1020 Nelson Street but what I plan out depends on what I do with the games character who for now will be known as Oliver. In any case Oliver will be transported onto the layout and it will become his world until he can figure out how to leave it. Right now I have two options.

#1. I can make Oliver a willing participant in what's going on. He can search for the objects he needs while going from place to place witnessing the rail action from a railfans perspective. This means he'll be searching trackside structures and locations.

#2. I can make Oliver an unwilling participant in what's going on. He's trapped on the train which may or may not be under control due to an act of foul play. Oliver must overcome obstacles and those who are very willing to do him harm while searching the train for the objects he needs to escape from it and from the layout.

Right now both scenarios look good to me but I can only use one and I just can't decide which one.

[Image: P1010003-12.jpg]

[Image: P1010003-10.jpg]

[Image: P1010003-8.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chuck - 11-07-2013

Hey RB, how about putting him on the train to find the first part of the "key" and then have him search lineside for the second or third part? Sounds like it will be fun to play!

Chuck

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-07-2013

Rainy warm morning. Meeting over at Town Hall. Now to one in western part of the county. Back for afternoon one in Raleigh. May hit Gander Mountain in between.

Kev, good luck with the numbers. Been fighting the same. My walking really helped.

Chat later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-07-2013

Greetings, gang.

There are clearing skies in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Right now it's 30 degrees with an expected high about 15 degrees north of that.

Yesterday I didn't do much of anything as my shoulder was bothering me. Must have just slept wrong as this morning it's fine again. So far we've been to Burger King for breakfast (I wasn't impressed) and to a few stores for some shopping. Picked up 4 boxes of 22-250 ammo at a local farm supply store. At WalMart we found a 1/32 logging truck that's close enough for the outdoor trains.

Next up on the agenda is a trip to the gym. This afternoon we need to take some stuff to the attic and bring some other stuff down.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-07-2013

Good Morning Blue
It's a windy, sunny, 40 degrees this morning.
We did some grocery shopping this morning, watching prices rise or quanity's get smaller on every trip.
Reg gas was $3.13 this morning.
S.J.

Chuck Wrote:Hey RB, how about putting him on the train to find the first part of the "key" and then have him search lineside for the second or third part? Sounds like it will be fun to play!

Chuck
I'd like to be able to do that but it means entering the base programs for both scenarios. I'm trying to keep this limited to the remaining space available on the diskette which is about 120k. The computers memory is also a factor. I have only 128k to play with. I can make the program base larger but that means breaking the files up into several files and using a second diskette. Even starting with an empty diskette it only gives me a max of 360k storage space and I'm still limited by the machines 128k memory since I'm using Applesoft DOS 3.3. If I was using ProDOS I'd have only 64k to work with. ProDOS uses the 64k add-on memory board as a RAMDRIVE - a solid-state disk drive if you will.

No work done on the game today. Instead I took some time to clean up the insides of the two Apple computers I have here. Those old electronics sure can draw in the dust! Both of these machines started as phase one IIe's or "Diana"'s (Apple's code name). My mothers old IIe despite modifications is still a Diana. My //e is still a Diana externally. Internally it's been rebuilt into a combination of an "LCA" (Low Cost Apple) and an enhanced "Super II". My third Apple, the IIe that's at my trailer started as an "LCA" and is now what I call a "MLCA" or Modified Low Cost Apple. It was a school computer before I got hold of it.

Well I guess tomorrow I'll get started on drawing out the scenario for 'Oliver' to make his way through. I've decided on option #2. He'll be put on the train unwillingly due to some sort of foul play and will have to get away from his captors and find objects he'll need as he makes his way from the rear of the train to the locomotive where he may attempt to stop it.

Time for me to call it a day. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: shot1.jpg]

[Image: Imag0006.jpg]

[Image: P1010003-15.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-08-2013

Good morning all, it's going to be a nice day here today. We're looking at 84 as the projected high, that's five degrees over normal for this time of the year. No complaints from here, we still haven't had to turn on our heat and it's been about two weeks since we turned off the A/C, so I hope we stay this way for a few more weeks.

We've noticed that the traffic here is getting heavier and heavier and the stores and Post Office parking lots are a getting harder to find a decent space to park in. It's going to be this way until we start getting up into the high 90's again, then the snowbirds flock back to cooler country. Speaking of birds, the long-neck geese are back. We see then hanging around the ponds that are visible from the streets. It's always fascinating to see then flying overhead in formation with then squawking back at each other. We notice that when they are feeding, there's always one of them standing with their head up high looking for those that want to prey on them. A lot of golf courses had these plastic coyotes around the water to try to scare the geese away, but no such luck, they know what's real and what's not.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-08-2013

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 34 degrees this morning with and expected high of about 57.

Yesterday afternoon did not go as planned. We were supposed to do some work in the attic but got a call from our daughter saying her son kept passing out after having some teeth pulled and she was taking him to the emergency room. We met her there and then sat in the waiting room. An hour later she came back out saying it was probably residual anesthetic from the oral surgery - nothing to worry about.

Today's agenda will now include the aforementioned work in the attic left over from yesterday along with a trip to the gym and possibly a start on harvesting more leaves from the yard.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-08-2013

Morning. Sunny and chilly. Did not fly. Resting. Had some gun cleaning to do too. Wifey at home so will probably do something with her [shop Nope ]. Will do lunch and an early movie. Not hunting this weekend. May go Sunday night and hunt Monday and Tuesday. Cold rain coming Wed. and Thurs. Got a big train show in Raleigh tomorrow. All gauges. Better than our usual TCA "junk" shows. May take boys.

Kev., good news on numbers.

Have a great weekend.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-08-2013

Good Morning Blue
We started the day at 32, will end around 45 degrees.
This is going to be a do nothing day. I did run a couple trains this morning to polish the rails though.
Maybe out to lunch later. Enjoy your weekend.
S J.