The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-25-2013

Well it's been raining all day. Indications are that it's gonna rain all night. 100% chance of rain tonight and 80% all day tomorrow. Got the doc appointment out of the way. My father dropped me off at the docs office and he and my step mother went to Wal-Mart and Lowe's. When they finished they came back and waited for me to come out of the docs office and we all went next door to Fox's Pizza Den. Didn't get home until about 5:30 and the last thing I felt like doing was working on a computer program. So I didn't. Oliver gets a break today. Did I mention it's raining?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 11-25-2013

RB: that circuit board looks like it was run hard and put away wet...or it really was in some water at one time in its life for sure. 219[/quote]
Thirty+ years of dust combined with the camera flash will do that.

Yeah, I can see that now. At first it looked like corrosion from sitting in water for a while. I've seen boards like that, and usually they don't work either. Nope[/quote]

RB, was weathering his computer components Icon_lol

EZdays, I had to "clean" up some alarm system boards that had been exposed to more than just a little moisture, mostly had to pull some micro chips out of their sockets and clean the crud from the sockets, sometimes commercial/industrial electronics just need to be cleaned to function again.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-25-2013

AF350 Wrote:RB: that circuit board looks like it was run hard and put away wet...or it really was in some water at one time in its life for sure. 219
Thirty+ years of dust combined with the camera flash will do that.

Yeah, I can see that now. At first it looked like corrosion from sitting in water for a while. I've seen boards like that, and usually they don't work either. Nope[/quote]

RB, was weathering his computer components Icon_lol

EZdays, I had to "clean" up some alarm system boards that had been exposed to more than just a little moisture, mostly had to pull some micro chips out of their sockets and clean the crud from the sockets, sometimes commercial/industrial electronics just need to be cleaned to function again.[/quote]
Usually a little CRC 2-26 and a toothbrush is all that's needed.

Well it's been a busy, not to mention rainy day. I got a good upper body workout from the walker and I'm tired. It's time to call it a day. See y'all tomorrow. Did i mention it was a rainy day? We even got a little hail.

[Image: DSCN0194.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0104.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5652.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-26-2013

AF350 Wrote:EZdays, I had to "clean" up some alarm system boards that had been exposed to more than just a little moisture, mostly had to pull some micro chips out of their sockets and clean the crud from the sockets, sometimes commercial/industrial electronics just need to be cleaned to function again.

Yeah, I can understand that. We built systems for the alarm industry as well and the worse one we had to fix is when we had an annunciator mounted outdoors in a condo where the property manager put a lawn sprinkler right in front of it in spite of being warned not to. You could see the high water mark inside the cabinet and of course, the board was toast. Our cabinets were watertight, not waterproof. Oh, they did move the sprinkler head.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Kev1340 - 11-26-2013

Hi Blue,

It sunny but chilly here on the south coast of the UK.

It's my last week of rehab before returning to work, though it'll be desk jockey duties only for a while. I'm going to make the most of the week by getting some work done on the new Norfolk and Western layout.

Cheers,

Kev

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-26-2013

Morning. Chilly and inches of rain in the forecast. No frozen stuff they say. All north of us.

Off to City/Farm Day sponsored by Wake Co, Farm Bureau at a local winery. Plenty of eastern NC bar-be-que, southern fried chicken, extras and plenty of sweet ice tea. There goes the diet. All under big tents with heat. Big Grin

Kev1340 Wrote:Hi Blue,

It sunny but chilly here on the south coast of the UK.

It's my last week of rehab before returning to work, though it'll be desk jockey duties only for a while. I'm going to make the most of the week by getting some work done on the new Norfolk and Western layout.

Cheers,

Kev
Great to see someone over the pond working on a great railroad like the N&W. I do the NS.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-26-2013

Good Morning Blue
Cloudy and 31 now.
Granny is busy around the house preparing for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I am trying to stay out of the way but on call if help is needed.
A nice chat with Brutus and Charlie last night.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-26-2013

Good morning. Yes it's still raining here. It's 36° with 100% humidity. Rain in the morning. Rain likely in the afternoon. The high today will be 42° and will feel like 30°.
[Image: cond90.jpg] and tonight [Image: snow30.jpg]

Yep, you see right. We have a small chance of snow tonight. Wouldn't surprise me if some folks get out and dance in the streets. Others who know better will stay inside and wonder if they have the next day off from work. Half an inch of the white stuff here pretty much closes everything.

I may get a chance today to work on Oliver's train adventure. He'll be starting on his search of the old style coach with it's seat compartments. That should be a joy to program. Yeah, right. More like a PITA but it's fun to watch the text descriptions as each compartment is gone through.

[Image: DSCN0057.jpg]

[Image: P1010675.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5662.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 11-26-2013

ezdays Wrote:
AF350 Wrote:EZdays, I had to "clean" up some alarm system boards that had been exposed to more than just a little moisture, mostly had to pull some micro chips out of their sockets and clean the crud from the sockets, sometimes commercial/industrial electronics just need to be cleaned to function again.

Yeah, I can understand that. We built systems for the alarm industry as well and the worse one we had to fix is when we had an annunciator mounted outdoors in a condo where the property manager put a lawn sprinkler right in front of it in spite of being warned not to. You could see the high water mark inside the cabinet and of course, the board was toast. Our cabinets were watertight, not waterproof. Oh, they did move the sprinkler head.

I used to use a lot of nema 4 and nema 7/9 type enclosures water tight and explosion proof for industrial control electronics.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 11-26-2013

Good evening all.

Cold and snowing off and on here.

They are talking about rail service in Columbus again(comes up about every two years but never gets far)This time it would be a Columbus Ohio to Chicago route.

not much else going on here.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-26-2013

Well I got started on programing in the old style luxury passenger coach. The line numbers for it's part of the program run from 700 to 1570. 700 to 1150 deal with the walkway going from one end to the other. At one end of the car is a small food service area manned by two stewards who run snacks to the four deluxe seating compartments number 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D. There are seven more seating compartments for passengers paying the regular fare (no snacks or games provided). These compartments are numbered (you guessed it) 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7. This is a day travel coach so there are no berths provided. At the other end of the coach is a small lavatory (restroom). The walkway going from one end of the car to the other runs down one side of the car so it's between the windows and the wall separating the compartments from the walkway. From what I understand coaches similar to this were in use in Oz up until the late 80's.

Had a little problem with my //e earlier. Drive two on the slot six drive card (backup drive for Native Fury) seemed a bit sick. Turned out it wasn't the drive at all. The cable connector had only partial contact with the drive card. I shut the computer down, pushed the connector down with my thumb and felt it move then set. Fired the computer back up and all is as it should be. Sometimes heat can cause tyhe connectors to push up a little but most of the time it's due to the connector not being pushed all the way down in the first place.

Progress on the old style coach is moving right along. The walkway from end to end is done, the lavatory and food service area are done. The doors to the seating compartments are done. I still have to program the locks then program in the details of the compartment interiors and who or what might be in them. After all this is a train crawling with criminals of many types, sizes and ages so there's danger at every turn. After this coach there's one more coach, then a baggage car, a crew car then three locos. So Oliver needs to collect all the items he needs so he can be on top of his game when he either brakes or derails the train. He might bend it a bit but either way it's gonna stop.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010664.jpg]

[Image: P1010665.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4177.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-27-2013

Greetings, gang.

Cold this morning at 7 degrees. Supposed to get to the mid 20s with increasing clouds. Also not as windy as yesterday's 30 mph winds.

Spent some fun time with my son who is visiting from Texas. Wife wife spent her time running with daughter-in-law and granddaughter doing food shopping for tomorrow. Should be a quiet day today. I may even be able to get in a trip to the gym. I haven't been there for a couple weeks and it's beginning to show.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-27-2013

Good morning. It's 32° with 100% humidity. The high will be 45°. There's a freeze warning for tonight. The low will be 22°.
[Image: condsunny-1.jpg]

On the cool side here this morning. We got a little snow last night, enough to make a light dusting on the rooftops. It's pretty easy to pick out the homes that don't have enough insulation. They have no snow.

No plans for today. I may do some programming on the old style coach in Oliver's adventure. He needs to be wary of the kid with the Archie's comic book.

A little something for those who like to shoot their mouths off.
[Image: P1010644.jpg]

[Image: P1010642.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4584.jpg]