The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 11-28-2013

Good evening all.

Turkey diner has come and gone, a good meal it was. Now comes the leftover season of turkey sandwiches Popcornbeer

RB has gotten the programming bug started up, I am coding in a version of basic called vintage basic which has line numbers, and runs in the command prompt window. Can not make it an exe file so I have to run vintage basic in order to run my program Nope

The program is based on a book from radio shack that has a basic listing for just about any electronic formula you could ever use or need plus a few things I have added such as resistor color codes both 4 and 5 band codes not many know about the 5 band code outside of the industry. Also will add some info and codes on wire size, capacitor number codes and other good to know stuff. I have about 75% of program done so far. once it is up and running I will try to translate the program into C or C++ which I can make it an exe program.

There was a big train accident in Willard Ohio yesterday a lot of people had to be evacuated, the railroad CSX I think I heard on the news that they were providing thanksgiving diner to those who were evacuated at the high school and the governor was there as well. I have family up that way and some are really close to the yard. Have not heard from them yet so they are either away or at the high school.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-28-2013

AF350 Wrote:RB has gotten the programming bug started up, I am coding in a version of basic called vintage basic which has line numbers, and runs in the command prompt window. Can not make it an exe file so I have to run vintage basic in order to run my program Nope

The program is based on a book from radio shack that has a basic listing for just about any electronic formula you could ever use or need plus a few things I have added such as resistor color codes both 4 and 5 band codes not many know about the 5 band code outside of the industry. Also will add some info and codes on wire size, capacitor number codes and other good to know stuff. I have about 75% of program done so far. once it is up and running I will try to translate the program into C or C++ which I can make it an exe program.
Vintage Basic is one I haven't seen in a long time. It was pretty big among hobbyists back in the 70's and 80's. In some forms it's a binary code that's entered via keyboard by the hobbyist. In others it's a hexadecimal code. A bit less work and a bit easier on the eyes. Today you can simply download it. For 32-bit MS Windows and Mac OS X it's in the for of a ZIP file. For 32-bit Linux it's in a tar.gz form. It can also be had as source code in a tar.gz package. You'll need GHC to compile the source. Note: There is a bug in GHC Version 6.10.1 on Windows that will cause your interpreter to freeze up when Ctrl-C is pressed at an INPUT prompt. You'll need to download a nightly build to get the fix for this.

The Basic I'm using is a rewritten form of Applesoft Basic that uses some C++ coding. It's stored in a rewritable ROM chip on my Apple's logic board. Except for a few higher command functions it's fully compatible with the standard Applesoft Basic. Like vintage Basic it uses line numbers. Entering Basic programs without line numbers came with the advent of Visual Basic which could be used with or without line numbers.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-28-2013

Hello Blue
Hope everyone had a great day.
We ate at 2 pm and I am still feel full.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-29-2013

Greetings, gang.

Another clear and cold morning outside my window. Right now it's 9 degrees with an expected high of 36.

Had a great time at son's mother-in-law yesterday. Lots of good food and nice people. Today the traveling circus moves to our house for college football at 11 with lots of good football food.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-29-2013

Good morning. It's 37° with 87% humidity. The high will be 55° with some clouds.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Had a good Thanksgiving meal yesterday. Even after my meds/insulin last night and meds this morning my blood sugar count is STILL over 340!

We found out yesterday that we have a big rat hanging around at the back of the house near the dog door. We haven't found any evidence yet that it's been in the house. Perhaps it hasn't discovered that it can go through the dog door as easily as the dog can or maybe it has something to do with the cat that's waiting on the other side of said dog door. We kept the cover on the door last night. I was still up after midnight so I let the dog out the front door so she could get her business taken care of then she was back in like a shot. Too cold out there for that pampered poodle!

I may get a chance to work on Oliver's adventure today. I think after the negative experiences I programmed into the first two compartments (#7, #6) he should have an easier time today and find a couple of pleasant surprises. However he needs to be mindful of the kid reading the Archie's comic book. That little brat is twisted and evil!

My little piece of redneck engineering that's keeping the drive cards in my //e aligned seems to be holding up OK. The heat within the case especially with the co-processor in such close proximity doesn't seem to have effected it.

[Image: DSCN5680.jpg]

[Image: P1220390.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2314.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-29-2013

Morning. Went with Wifey to Lowes. Actually I had to go. She tagged along. MISTAKE!!!! She had to "shop". My five minute trip lasted for 40. Wallbang Few things to do like get Pilgrams, hay bales and etc out of front yard. Then suck leaves with JD. Then hit the road to the farm to hunt even though it is cold. Back Sat. night.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-29-2013

Hello Blue
We have sun and 32 degrees.
Helped out at the train store today, came home for turkey sandwich's.
Oh boy full again
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 11-29-2013

Well my computer parts shopping will be a bit meager for December as I have Christmas shopping to think of. I can afford to devote a whopping $130 to gifts for the family. I hope they're not expecting anything expensive Icon_lol . For myself I picked up two antique disk drives. One is an Apple 5.25" Disk II drive, the other is an Apple compatible 5.25" Lobo drive. The Disk II drive includes an "Elephant Memory Systems" disk. Hand written on the disk are: "Infidel, Pest Patrol, Ms. PAC-Man, Frogger, Lady Tut". I'm hoping this software still works. Those are good games.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 11-29-2013

Happy post turkey day 2285_

Ran some trains for awhile, specifically my newest loco an Amtrak BEEP from RMT it pulled 12 cars(O-27 sized freight) on a level track did not hang up power wise going thru 2 ATLAS O O-36 switches but a Lionel flat with bulk ends and tank would derail about every 12 or so laps on one of the switches, no damage just aggravation and annoyance.

Sorted thru some train magazines bookmarking articles to be scanned on to usb drives.

Will be working on electronic formula program just have to type in 3 original sections out of 12 plus add some sections of my own programming as well.

Ran some trains for awhile, specifically my newest loco an Amtrak BEEP from RMT it pulled 12 cars(O-27 sized freight) on a level track did not hang up power wise going thru 2 ATLAS O O-36 switches but a Lionel flat with bulk ends and tank would derail about every 12 or so laps on one of the switches, no damage just aggravation and annoyance.

Sorted thru some train magazines bookmarking articles to be scanned on to usb drives.

Will be working on electronic formula program just have to type in 3 original sections out of 12 plus add some sections of my own programming as well.

Uh-oh

now I am triple posting..............sorry about that 35

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-29-2013

Good afternoon all. I'm a bit late today, but it's taken me a long time to get through my "Black Friday" email. Curse They send me a bunch and by the time I can delete it all, there's another bunch that shows up, a lot of it is a duplicate of what they sent me earlier. Icon_lol I'm not too fond of that commercial designation for today, but I'll bet the merchants are since this is suppose to be the day that they finally turn a profit, or are in the black. I've been wondering though, how can they give out 35%, 50% and even 80% off in their "doorbuster sales" and still make a profit? Their markup has to be horrendous during the rest of the year, or......could someone be trying to pull a fast one on us? :?

Gray (or brown) Thursday (It used to be called "Thanksgiving") , Black Friday, Cyber Monday.... too much for me, soon we'll have a color-code for every day between Halloween an Christmas. Wallbang I have a color for the day after Christmas, green. Yeah, that's when all the merchants turn sickening green looking at the return lines. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-29-2013

I had to upgrade the computer contract.
With now 3 internet radios online, we had reached over 75% of our monthly allotment. I went for the next level which was much more. But I had to get a new modem (why??)
Rogers's first store didn't have the one I was allowed. The clerk said he didn't know why as he had the same contract and was using the one he tried to give me. But the store in the next block had it.

Got back and found that the new modem has more ports (Cat 5 type) and built-in wi-fi. But it didn't seem to like my old LinkSys distributor.
I'm now set up with a new system name and a new password full of case changes. Lot of fun on those devices where you have to scroll across a full alphabet (caps) the n a full alphabet (lower case) then numbers and maybe a pile of stray symbols. One button push per character.
One of the internet radios is a bit reluctant at times, while another changes from "wake up to radio" to "wake up to beeps".

I'm working on wiring the first station on the layout. I've got a weird collection of wire on it and some of the salvaged computer cable is so small I had to buy a new set or wire strippers.

Well I never did get a chance to work on Oliver's adventure today. Other things kept getting in the way. Maybe someday I'll have a layout to work on again. I have some locos and cars to work on once in a while but that's not the same. Until then the computers are going to have to my fun things to work on.

Time to call it a night. I'll see y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN2309.jpg]

[Image: P1130331.jpg]

[Image: lobodrive.jpg]