The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-04-2013

yellowlynn Wrote:Down in the upper 60s this morning, and 78-80 today. Better enjoy it because starting tomorrow, COLD! I think Fri or Sat it is to be 31 for a high.

I was/am very fortunate in that there was no pain involved. The doc thinks tha it moved enough sideways to cut off the blood supply to the skin. The it just kind of rotted an opening. Seems like rotting skin would smell, but no.

It sure feels good to be home and back to BB Later

Lynn

That's incredible that there was no pain. Looking at the hole it left it looks like you were shot.....

Lynn, check your PM's....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-04-2013

All repaired. The part of the belt that came off hit the by-pass hose and pulled it off. Got new belt [original Toyota this time], cooling system flush, coolant and wash job. According to service facility, at the cost to CARQUEST. Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-04-2013

Good job on the cart Kev! I felt dusty just looking at it.

I'm feeling much better now. Still have a titanic headache though and a light bruise along the side of my head just above the left temple. Also have a bruise on my left knee. That ones gonna ache for a while. My father and step mother are going to Lake Charles tomorrow so he can keep a doctors appointment. He'll be getting the skin on his back examined to see if there might be a problem there. Looks like there's gonna be a problem with the weather for sure. There's a 50% chance of rain and even more than that tomorrow night. In fact it looks like rain through the weekend with freezing or near-freezing low temps. The highs will be below 50° through the weekend and into the week.

Today I disconnected the green screen monitor from my //e and hooked up a small flat screen TV as a monitor. It makes it much easier to see my Monopoly and Lode Runner games. Speaking of games I have one of the first from Sierra-Online coming. It's called 'Mystery House'. It was one of the earliest hi-res graphics games made to run on the Apple II series computers. Coming in tomorrow is a 'Lobo Drives' 5.25" disk drive.

That's all for today. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: PA240233.jpg]

[Image: PA170211.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4308.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 12-04-2013

Kev,

great horse drawn cart Thumbsup

I found a blue o scale pickup UP track crew at a thrift store today right next to a B.O. train set with a box that looked almost 70's in vintage but was not a major brand just a cheap toy but did have a smoke unit and a very low tech chug sound mechanism just a thin strip of metal which got plucked by a finger on a gear once every revolution. The only problem I could find is one of the gears slides out of place on its shaft, easy fix got the set for 2 bucks and the truck for a quarter Big Grin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-04-2013

RB:
watch out. The stars are your eyes way of communicating with your brain -- but the code is still primitive.
If you're nearsighted, those bumps can lead to a detached retina. See your eye doctor (or even your regular doctor) if you start getting lots of floaters. Mine started as a hazy field which I think was a spread-out bit of blood. The final catch was when I couldm't see the side of my nose.

I've got a train trip tomorrow, into the big city. Dayle is having lunch with some old colleagues and doesn't want to drive.
VIA is expensive compared to GO, but the train leaves 2 hours later. Toronto is not an exciting city at 9:00 in the morning.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-05-2013

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cold this morning. Right now the temp is 7 degrees with an expected high of 15 - not much of an improvement.

RB- hope you're feeling better today.

Kev - nice cart. I like that old time stuff but would not wanted to have lived back then. I really like my modern conveniences.

Another plumber is coming sometime today to give an estimate on replacing the water pipes. I hope to hear from him earrly so I can get to the gym again. I have really missed the daily workouts.

The external dvd drive died last night. It's the only way I have to install software since I have one of those all in one computers which generally don't have an internal dvd drive. Found one at Best Buy to replace it. All I need now is an excuse to drive the 60 miles to get it.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-05-2013

Morning. Warm, foggy and misting rain. Will walk when it stops raining. Got meeting tonight down east. 15 miles from "deer camp" so will drive there afterwards. Hunt tomorrow and come home. Forecast for tomorrow is low 62 and high 77. Rain and temps drop Sat and Sun. Later

PS: UNC beat Michigan State. 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-05-2013

Good morning. It's 71° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. The high will be 72° and feel like 78°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg][Image: cond006.gif][Image: cond50.jpg]

Not much going on today. Got a 'Lobo Drives' disk drive coming in today. Also expecting a 10-pack of blank disks, a DVD and two Apple II program disks (Mystery House, Computer diagnostics). Now that I have a color monitor on the //e I may play some Starfleet1 today. Never seen it in color. If the weather doesn't get too bad I may be able to work on Oliver's adventure a bit too.

[Image: PA170207.jpg]

[Image: PA270098.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4320.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-05-2013

Good "chilly" morning all. It's hard to believe these weather people anymore. They all forecast a high chance of rain for yesterday and, of course, there wasn't even a trace, but I'm sure it's snowing up north because it is chilling cold down here. Again, the weather forecasters are saying that it's 37 out right now, but the thermometer in our vehicle said that it's 40. Close enough for these people I guess. As an engineer, we worked with a lot closer tolerances than they do, but I'm sure they get a lot more money than most engineers for being as wrong as often as they are. Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-05-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 43 degrees but the cold is a-comin.
Not much going on in my world today so it will be a Hi and move on.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 12-05-2013

KRM,

HO would be too large, N would work well I think, as I have seen others do similar setups for a carnival rides. Z might be too expensive and too small. Gondolas and flat cars would be easy to add seated children.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-05-2013

Mail delivery was a little late today. I got two boxes, both containing one disk drive each. The first is an ordinary Apple Disk II 5.25" disk drive. It came with a diskette already in it. Hooked the drive up to my boot boot card (slot 7) and ran a full test on it. Drive speed perfect! Read/write function perfect! Operation is very quiet. I then booted the diskette. It was extremely anal about booting from slot 6 so booted from there. It's a game called 'Infidel', a Zork type text adventure. It seems to work very well.

The other drive is a 5.25" 'Lobo Drives' disk drive. Runs good but it's noisy. Sounds like dry bones being rubbed together. It quieted down a bit during testing. The drive speed was at 198.7, the extreme low side of the speed range. I reset it to 200.4, the nominal setting halfway between the extreme low and extreme high speeds. 200.4 is as close to perfect as it's getting. While not an Apple drive it's what's called 'Apple compatible'. It recognizes DOS 3.3 (mostly what I use) but doesn't recognize ProDOS. I could fix that by replacing the 'Lobo Drives' control board with an 'Apple' control board but then it wouldn't be a 'Lobo Drives' drive anymore. It would be a drive with the 'Lobo Drives' name on it. I didn't check to see if it recognized CP/M but then I won't be using it for running CP/M programs.

Fed/Ex delivered the item I got for my niece. She's gonna flip when she sees it. I'm expecting more stuff tomorrow. A 1-pack of blank disks, a game disk (Mystery House), a tools disk (diagnostics), a DVD for my BIL (Red, Bruce Willis, go figure), a model kit for my nephew (Munster Koach).

My father got me a 'gift' yesterday. A set of print cartridges to be used in his HP J4550 All-in-one. I figured it would be something he'd benefit the most from. Well I tell you what, I'm gonna put some use on those cartridges.

Photobucket techs are goofing around with the settings again.

[Image: DSCN5715.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5716.jpg]

Today was a little busy for me. As I posted earlier I got two disk drives today. An Apple Disk II and a 'Lobo Drives' 5.25 floppy drive. Both tested good. The Disk II is flawless. The 'Lobo' turned out to have a serious problem. It was destroying the start and catalog tracks of some disks. I tracked the problem back to the drives internal control board. So that board is now in the junk box and an Apple board has been installed in it's place. That also meant changing the drives interface cable. A 20-tab card edge connector wasn't going to work on a board with a 20-pin connector. So now I have a drive with a 'Lobo' chassis and an Apple control board and the 'Lobo Drives' logo on top. So is that a 'Loble'? or an 'Appblo'? or an 'Appobo'? Whatever it is it now runs DOS 3.3 and ProDOS and would probably run CP/M if I put it on slot 6. It still sounds like dry bones rubbing together. I then spent a couple of hours repairing the destroyed parts of the disks that had been effected. That's where a good bit copy program comes in handy. In most cases only one sector of a track was effected so only that one sector had to be replaced. All of the disks involved were copies. That's why I still have original software with viable backups that are 30+ years old.

So the Christmas gifts for the family are starting to come in. So far I have the gifts for my niece and my BIL sitting over here against the wall. My father is enjoying his new shoes. I'm still waiting on the gifts for my nieces husband, my nephew and my sister. My step mother has made it plain that she wants nothing from nobody so that's exactly what she's getting.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: PA240237.jpg]

[Image: P1012731.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5725.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 12-05-2013

Good evening all

Bracing for a blast of real Ohio winter, was 60 Wednesday but by Friday night 6 inches of snow, tonight rain changing to a freezing rain snow mix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grass had started greening up here, but that will be a short lived situation. Soon will be shoveling Nope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having trouble getting around to my modeling projects due to other things such as plumbing issues, working on getting an 88 nissan pickup back on the road and other annoying problems. Work is going fine, being I am on my feet all shift long for 2 days in a row it wears me out, on the good side I am sweating off fat and building up muscles from repetitive lifting .

I have not been on-line as much as I have a year or so ago but try to check in here at least as much as I can.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-05-2013

Kev: In O scale, N gauge works out to about 17" gauge. 15" is common for park model trains, so that's just about right. Z would be just under 12".

FiatFan: One of our club members had a series of floods as the 40-year old plumbing over his railway gave out. I think after the 3rd time he had the whole lot upgraded.