Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) (/showthread.php?tid=6172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Painkiller - 08-12-2013

Wow, those Pikestuff buildings look so perfect to the scene! Smile

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - lajry - 08-12-2013

faraway Wrote:
lajry Wrote:Reinhard
Here's Fisher Flouring Mills (now Primo) on LAJ's Lower Alley Lead. There's 7 silos there. ....
That might have changed. Street view shows a plain "shoe box" only without silos. Google finds for Primo in Vernon a new address at 3301Fruitland Avenue
Vernon. CA 90058-2723. At that address is also a plain building without silos only. Looks like they do it without silos inside the usual buildings.

Yes Reinhard things have changed sad to say. That's why my modeling of the LAJ will be "back in the day" as there's so much more variety. Looking at historicaerials.com shows Fisher Flouring Mills to be a very busy place! Sure would like to get into USGS historic aerials if they are free.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-13-2013

Did some scenery details

[Image: file_zpsb99b7cda.jpg] [Image: file_zpsc62bf9c6.jpg]
[Image: file_zpse351d4af.jpg] [Image: file_zpsc59fdd31.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - lajry - 08-13-2013

Great looking weeds Reinhard. You could get away w/ a few "palm tree weeds" like we saw on the LAJ. Anybody seen them back east growing along the tracks? Smile

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Charlie B - 08-13-2013

we have Ailanthus trees <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima</a><!-- m --> known to us as Pennsylvania palm trees. They were imported as another ornamental, and like all ornamentals they got out of control. Along with Japanese knot weed the battle for weed control along a railroad right of way is sadly a lot of chemicals because there are no known enemy's. The knot weed has gained control in the past 25 years, but the Ailanthus has been around for a hundred years. So if you model the east a palm weed would fit right in in a time frame of the last 50 years.
Charlie

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-14-2013

The intended use of the plants are corn, wine and some garden vegetables. I use them all as some kind of weed and shrubs. However the corn with the yellow tops cut off look a bit like the little palms I saw in Vernon on the tracks. If you need them for a SoCal layout, they are "maize plants" part# 181250 from Faller.

ps. The Faller model has a wire kernel. Do not plant them into the track 357

[Image: IMG_0949.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0637.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - FCIN - 08-18-2013

Reinhard;

While out doing some rail fanning in Indiana yesterday, I found your former MAW 16 in Connersville, IN on the CNUR and took this shot of the old girl for you.     All of the former MAW locomotives are in storage there, but 16 was the only one that was in a position where I could get a good shot.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-18-2013

Ed, thanks a lot for the photo of the prototype. I would like to see the former MAW units to be sold and reused again.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-20-2013

The new Athearn Genesis H0 CN GP38-2W is a beauty. I understood CN runs the wide cab version in Canada only.

[Image: file_zpse85391ac.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Painkiller - 08-21-2013

That wide cab Geep is a very nice model... I like the Zebra striped hoods of CN better than the current livery. It does look like being at home there! Thumbsup

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-21-2013

Painkiller Wrote:That wide cab Geep is a very nice model... I like the Zebra striped hoods of CN better than the current livery. It does look like being at home there! Thumbsup
I agree, the zebra layout looks better than the new one, except the cool noodle on black ground is a great design by itself in my eyes. I read they changed from zebra to one stripe only in 1993 but there are still some zebras around. That gives me an opportunity to run (svenska) zebras too.

However, the old MAW engines fit my small layout better. All the other engines are temporary sessions only.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - alcanman - 08-21-2013

Hi Reinhard, I've just been catching up with your latest version of 'Freelance' and think this is the best version so far.

Great work! Thumbsup

Mal

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-21-2013

Mal, thanks for the kind words.

Just in case all the different engines caused some confusion what my layout is all about. It is still a freelance layout inspired by the MAW in Ohio. The small town is lightly inspired by Antwerp Oh.
His is the base roster doing it's daily job GP7u MAW 4, GP10 MAW 16 and GP7u CNUR 5. The GP7u WAER 344 has never been used at the MAW but is has been the peer of the MAW 4 that is an ex WAER 345 and I need four engines and trains to fully utilize my staging yard.

All four engines are based on P2K GP7 drives. The WEAR 344 has brass model hoods and cab, the MAW 4 and CNUR 5 have a modified Athern CF7 cab and the MAW 16 cab is based on a Atlas SD24 cab. The long hoods lost dyn breaks and the short hoods got cut down. Details are added as far as required by the prototypes. Ditch lights are not very prominent at the MAW running 5 mph max speed Confusedhock:

[Image: file_zps772a10b8.jpg]
[Image: file_zps905007f0.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsa8aea451.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - colinw62 - 08-22-2013

I'm loving this thread, the level of modelling is top notch.
The transition of the layout is brilliant.
To be honest all the Freelance threads are just as good.
Keep it up!

BTW, Rhienard, remember I asked about the KIIS FM Ryan Seacrest billboard? I did do my own version, I'll post a picture at somepoint.

What do you do with the structures that have been used before?

Colin

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-22-2013

colinw62 Wrote:I'm loving this thread, the level of modelling is top notch.
The transition of the layout is brilliant.
To be honest all the Freelance threads are just as good.
Keep it up!

BTW, Rhienard, remember I asked about the KIIS FM Ryan Seacrest billboard? I did do my own version, I'll post a picture at somepoint.

What do you do with the structures that have been used before?

Colin
Colin, thank you for the kind words.
Yes! I would love to see your billboard!
The old buildings are usually stored on the floor under the layout for some weeks before they are scraped. I have no longtime storage for all that buildings. Most of them, my "shoeboxes", are styrene sheets only and the financial loss is only marginal. I keep them a short while just in case I decide to go back to the old layout very quickly. Do you remember my attempt to go to "brick land" with the brick mill after a prototype in Cleveland? That did not work for me and I restored the SoCal buildings after one or two weeks.

[Image: file_zpsa4d0fdf7.jpg]

ps. Are you Colin from Perth living in Sweden now and commented some times on Photobucket? In that case my comments on Photobucket of the engines photos have been done for you. But I am glad you are here now and communication is much easier.