Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) (/showthread.php?tid=6172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-28-2013

Did some shots of the layout while I am working constantly but slowly on adding more and more details

[Image: file_zps5b8ad1f1.jpg]
[Image: file_zps550f66fb.jpg]
[Image: file_zps8b529b9a.jpg]

I noticed a BN green GP20 in Defiance when I started reading the internet about the MAW. That engine is a former GN 2003 later became BN 2003 and finally a WBRC 3 engine. The locomotive was used on the MAW in 2003. There are some photos on the web showing it Defiance. It became later a WRIX 3 and is on a photo taken in Vandalia IL.
I got a old used Proto2000 BN GP18 some years ago and put it on the shelf for later use.

Here is the newest MAW kid (the bell on the long hood is on order, will take month as usual to arrive). I hope "freelance" covers a GP18 used for a GP20.... Wink

[Image: file_zps453b1e5f.jpg]
[Image: file_zpse24fc6ff.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - torikoos - 08-28-2013

faraway Wrote:tI hope "freelance" covers a GP18 used for a GP20.... Wink

Great work as usual, and yes, freelance totally covers that. Thumbsup One of my own locomotives, is a GP38-2 , painted in totally fictional colours and roadname (it's in my avatar and it's colours are inspired by german steam locomotives, black and red ) , and then proceeded to stick in a EMD turbo charged engine sound decoder, while GP38-2 don't have these, mine is therefore a remotored one by the railroad, for a desire for more 'power', and had a good engine sitting about from a wrecked locomotive :-) Icon_lol

As usual, the term ' it's my railroad' , should apply liberally to 'freelance'. Big Grin

Koos

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-28-2013

Doing nothing was to easy...
Got a SP GP20 from the cabinet and use the dimensions and shape of the turbo stack to build my own from styrene. That will make the GP18 closer to a GP20.
The rear vent should be moved more to the rear and a winterization hatch added between rear vent and the dynamic break vent. I am not sure if I will do that more serious modification to the roof.
This photo http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1898915 shows the correct position.

That's what I am trying to do.
The hatch is from stock and fits quite well. I will refrain from the risky business of moving the rear vent. The turbo stack needs sanding tomorrow when the glue has set. The old two stacks will be removed.
[Image: file_zpsd7337896.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-29-2013

That is better and looks more like a GP20. I used the SP GP20 as a reference to scratch build the turbo stack.

[Image: file_zps4486adbe.jpg]

and turbo charged on it's way to pickup some grain hoppers
[Image: file_zpsb0804513.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - torikoos - 08-29-2013

Looks great Reinhard :-)

I love the atmosphere on your current layout, there's a bit of a small town, small railroad feel there, I like it :-)

Koos

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Brakie - 08-29-2013

Reinhard,That 3 spot sure is a honey..I like the upgrading.

Now then.

How did you dent the guard rail by the office?

That adds realism. Thumbsup

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-29-2013

Brakie Wrote:How did you dent the guard rail by the office?
It is reused from a previous layout and suffered a lot when I pressed the poles into not perfect placed holes.

Played with black wash on buildings. I start experimenting how weathering of buildings might work. A standard black wash has no visible effects on a red brick wall with the usual mortal wash. The lighter bricks and windows frames of this example are a better choice to show an effect. But what I am looking for is a technique to make plain brick walls more interesting by weathering.
[Image: file_zps39d1ae66.jpg]

I am sorry, but the revenue situation was hopeless. Had to close the shop finally. May be we get a LHS in town soon?
[Image: file_zps66e0eda3.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - jwb - 08-30-2013

I paint the walls with a basic brick color -- often I use Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer, but with Floquil going away, I'm going to have to find another color, maybe some sort of rattle-can red primer. There are various things you can do for mortar, from commercial products to washes of light gray paint. I think I did this one with a commercial product. I've read lately about using baking soda, too, just rubbing it into the mortar lines. Then I dust the wall with brick-colored chalk.

I should really follow up with a thin black or dark gray wash, but haven't done that too much.

now that I look at the photo, you can see a brick wall behind the roundhouse that I've used a black wash on after the rest, weathering the sign as well as the brick.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-30-2013

One building became a test vehicle. The walls got treated with a semi dry brush and three shades of brown. The focus was not on the front but on the boring plane side walls. It may be a step into the right direction weathering brick walls.

ps. All walls had already received a light mortal wash and a black wash when the building was assembled some weeks ago.

[Image: file_zps01b03085.jpg]
[Image: file_zps67c78bb8.jpg]
[Image: file_zps5efe82a6.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsede1b084.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Painkiller - 08-31-2013

I do it like this randomly paint the brick wall with a mix of box car red and orange the mix in random and let it dry for a day or two. Then add the mortar of your liking. Sometimes when the bricks have been big enough I have hand painted the invidual bricks adding some tip of extraorange or BC brown..

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Southern Tuxedo - 08-31-2013

faraway Wrote:That is better and looks more like a GP20. I used the SP GP20 as a reference to scratch build the turbo stack.

[Image: file_zps4486adbe.jpg]

and turbo charged on it's way to pickup some grain hoppers
[Image: file_zpsb0804513.jpg]

Reinhard,
In case you are interested....

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASS-HO-ORIENTAL-LTD-SAMHONGSA-EMD-GP20-2000HP-HIGH-HOOD-VARIOUS-RR-U-P-N-MINT-/281157160809?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item417645cf69">http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASS-HO-ORIENT ... 417645cf69</a><!-- m -->

Sorry for the short notice.
Mark

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-31-2013

Sand yellow applied with a sponge like a mortal wash. It softens some of the brown spots from yesterday.
I read a lot about random painting single bricks of the walls. I am not sure how to identify single bricks with my eyes and how to communicate that possible finding to my right hand.... we will see what we get :o
[Image: file_zps5a76367d.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Sumpter250 - 08-31-2013

torikoos Wrote:-----"faraway" wrote: tI hope "freelance" covers a GP18 used for a GP20..... Wink -----

Great work as usual, and yes, freelance totally covers that. Thumbsup One of my own locomotives, is a GP38-2 , painted in totally fictional colours and roadname (it's in my avatar and it's colours are inspired by german steam locomotives, black and red ) , and then proceeded to stick in a EMD turbo charged engine sound decoder, while GP38-2 don't have these, mine is therefore a remotored one by the railroad, for a desire for more 'power', and had a good engine sitting about from a wrecked locomotive :-) Icon_lol As usual, the term ' it's my railroad' , should apply liberally to 'freelance'. Big Grin Koos

Cheers Cheers

"It's my railroad" : " Sagaponack Montauk and Cindys Harbor Railroad " ( Standard Gauge, fictitious ) , a wholly owned subsidiary of " Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. " ( 3' gauge, also a fictitious company ). But, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it"
So! 357 357 "freelance" Rules !!
There would not be an Outside Frame, 3' foot gauge, 2-4-4-2 Compound Articulated Steam Locomotive, if that were not true. ( and soon to be, a 3' gauge outside frame 2-6-6-2 )
Freelance can go to whatever end, but is better kept within the realm of "possibility / believability". It is a far more "free world" of model making, and story telling, and a far greater exercise of imagination couched in true research, that provides a plausible explanation of its existence. The phrase " It could have been " is the real anchor for Freelance. Wink

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-31-2013

.... most things improve significant if you keep the right distance.... :oops:
[Image: file_zps6b7cec78.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 09-02-2013

A light brown wash of the trucks and tank and a dull coat cover of hoods and cab complete the Genesis GP38-2 high hood rework.

I am not overwhelmed with Athearn's quality control. A great plan and a great design but the details lack the necessary attention to be a real premium model.

[Image: file_zps4f72e4aa.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsde3b3fd0.jpg]