Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) (/showthread.php?tid=6172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - jwb - 07-31-2013

First, I think Scotch Magic Tape is a very good material for model masking, since it's more flexible and can be pressed down more closely, as well as letting you see more clearly what you're cutting around underneath, so that's where I'd start, press down carefully around the window openings before you cut the window frame areas out to minimize overspray. Then be ready to touch up any overspray -- since I use an airbrush, I'm able just to touch up overspray using a brush with the same color paint from a bottle that I used in the airbrush. I assume, though, that you could use any bottled model paint with a color close to the rattle can to do brush touchup. However, applying mortar to the brick areas, and dusting them with brick-colored chalk after doing that, and then going over those areas with diluted black paint for weathering, all helps the overall effect.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - doctorwayne - 07-31-2013

For deeply-set windows, it might be preferable to first paint the structure with the colour meant for the window frames. Since most of these buildings usually have the majority of the windows the same size and shape, you could apply masking tape, in multiple layers, to a sheet of glass, then use a sharp blade to cut-out multiple window-size masks at the same time.
Mask the windows, then spray with your chosen brick colour.

Wayne

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - Painkiller - 08-01-2013

I guess that is a combination of not so top qualituy castings on windows and some point on kits in general. Many of the kits were originally produced way back and the tools are not as good as they used to be either. But as some of the comments above, you can do loads by painting the openings in same paint as the windows. Not very prototypical but looks better on a model. Anyway most viewers get blinded by the overall first expression anyway so you can get away. So far what I have seen on the new direction you have on the layout, it looks good. Love the elevator scene and how you can blend in kits, kitbashed or not, in to the scene with a very nice touch of weathering! A nice touch to the town scene could be some kind of modern one story building as a super market or something on the outskirts as a hint of at least one time business in town was good and the area was expanded post WW II... What I had in mind was something like I guess Model Powers kit like this with a little mods and perhaps a small add on for storage look right with another set of signs on it.....

https://www.modelpower.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=204

By the way, some kind of donut joint would be a nice excuse to park a couple of black and white patrol cars next to it... lol

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-01-2013

Well I think I will stay with the white permanent pen method. It has the best cost value ration for. A technique based on patience and precision is very likely to fail if applied by me.....

The point of some modern commercial buildings is very valid and was included in my first thought. Funny thing is that Antwerp is still going with the older buildings.
https://maps.google.de/maps?q=antwerp+ohio&ll=41.180774,-84.740325&spn=0.000866,0.001269&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&hnear=Antwerp,+Paulding,+Ohio,+United+States&gl=de&t=h&z=20
What they are doing is to use the old structures in an efficient way and do not spend extra effort in lots of wonderful paintings. Some brick has been covered with plaster. I will follow that examples and refrain from doing a museum. There is also only very little advertising at the buildings. But they are fans of marquee.

Did this building yesterday afternoon
[Image: file_zpsa039b246.jpg]

and this one is currently on the workbench
[Image: file_zps24a4953c.jpg]

I did a short trip to the LHS nearby in Boeblingen and got this long grass (12mm / 0.47in). [Image: file_zpsf2ac5670.jpg]
A first try with Noch Grassmaster looks good.
[Image: file_zpsb53966f1.jpg]
We will see what is left after the glue has set and the vacuum did it's job

They offered extreme detailed Faller plats made of edged brass and hand painted. Got an assortment and will try it some times later as super details. However the steep price prohibits any wide use.
[Image: file_zps7ba76495.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-01-2013

An intensive vacuum session was required to get the surplus long grass from the layout. It attaches like hell to every uneven surface but I like the result and it is worth the effort.
The extra brush of the vacuum has been used to collect the surplus but also to comb the grass like hair and straighten it up.

ps. I have not the extra cone http://www.micromark.com/RS/SR/Product/84370_R.jpg offered by Noch for the Grasmaster to work on smaller areas (about 1' diameter). The minimum area was therefor at least 4' in diameter. That is far to large and I wasted a lot of grass. The narrow strip on the fourth photo is about 10% of the applied grass. 90% are living in the vacuum now Sad I recommend to get the extra cone (mine is on order).

[Image: file_zps4d08b513.jpg]
[Image: file_zps1c86056f.jpg]
[Image: file_zps78f9774b.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsf260b97f.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - long island jack - 08-01-2013

Gosh!!,its a complete transformation,i don't know how you do it,like the older style building better than the modern looking structures,it just looks right!.

Ray

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-02-2013

All buildings and store fronts got a layer of basic paint, dark gray roofs and mortal wash. The windows of first building an on the left side are very little recessed . That made it easy to mask the walls and do the windows with the rattle can.

[Image: file_zps23fd849a.jpg]

@Ray, the green did change the overall impression totally. When the ground color changed from light brown sand to all shades of green changed the entire layout. I noticed it first when I replaced white/light gray warehouses with white /silver silos. It did not change much of the overall impression. It was some grain facility still in SoCal. But when I added the green ground cover and the shrubs and trees in the background right to the silo it became another layout within 10 minutes.
This photo dated 7/15 documents that change
[Image: file_zpsc6be8b0f.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-03-2013

The basic work is done at all buildings. It is amazing how dead a scene looks without any details. I have to think about a small backdrop in front of the glass door again...

ps. The green building (1st house left side on 1st photo) is a built-up I ordered by accident. It got a base plate too and integrates like all the others into the front.

[Image: file_zpsf822e860.jpg]
[Image: file_zps4579cfc9.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsded81593.jpg]
[Image: file_zps61adf413.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsfb658d5d.jpg]
[Image: file_zps7ebdadc1.jpg]

18:49h photos updated

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - jwb - 08-03-2013

As the saying goes, you can never have too many vehicles, figures, or trees. You also need to look at things like parking meters, street lamps, fire hydrants, etc.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-03-2013

I would like to get your opinion on the most realistic use of traffic sign at the grade crossing and intersection.

Choice A
The entire intersection inclusive all grade crossings of all tracks is treaded as one unit and protected by four crosses with flashing lights. That is similar to my Vernon scenery and provides best protection.
[Image: file_zps910c9e92.jpg]

Choice B1
Only the main line (lowest track) and one industry lead because so close by are protect by cross and flashing lights. The other industry lead get only crosses if at all.
Choice B2
The main line only is protected by cross and flashing lights. That might be more realistic if the lights are automatically controlled by the main line. I assume the industry lead would disturb that standard installation.

I noticed MAW uses crosses and flashing lights to protect it's main line. Industry leads got nothing at all or only simple crosses. It is up to the crew to protect the train with fuses etc.
[Image: file_zps5e62f132.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - shortliner - 08-03-2013

I'd go for crossing lights for the main, and fusees for the siding tracks

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - radivil - 08-03-2013

That intersection would almost certainly have a stoplight, with that level of density.

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-04-2013

Slowly working on the details of the streets and buildings. A pleasant task because the buildings can be removed to permit free access to the streets and working at the buildings sitting at the workbench is what by back loves most.

ps. Only the mainline is protected with flashing lights (case B2). The grade crossings of the industry leads are handled by the train crew. That is sufficient for "my" Antwerp, Oh. Thanks for your suggestions.

pps. Rt 49 is no fiction. It is the Main Street in Antwerp Oh.

They like marquee in Antwerp, they get their marquee on my layout too.
[Image: file_zpsd29a2442.jpg]
Front side mostly hidden but the backside is in the center of the town. Need to find a solution to close or hide the ugly gap of the removable and the fixed part of the layout in the ground.
[Image: file_zpsf1b99820.jpg]
This front is barely visible on the layout but the blue awning is very well visible looking down the street.
[Image: file_zps3370523a.jpg]
It was a solid all bricks wall in the field of vision. The annex with a steel sheet and the cables added some details.
[Image: file_zps2ab3e7ed.jpg]
Next day, next marquees
[Image: file_zpscccdc882.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-05-2013

Both streets got a micro backdrop made from Streetview shots of Main Street in Antwerp Oh..
[Image: file_zpse8c91158.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsca8e9d72.jpg]

The ugly gap is covered by thin styrene sheets with ground cover that have been cut over the gap.
[Image: file_zps9210dc5e.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2013-2 (MAW) - faraway - 08-06-2013

A broader overview of the small town from the yard. It is also about my view during operating sessions.
[Image: file_zpsfbe6d7f7.jpg]