Five years of the Blues… - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Memories, past and present (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Big Blue's 5th Year Anniversary (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Five years of the Blues… (/showthread.php?tid=6492)

Pages: 1 2

Five years of the Blues… - ngauger - 12-03-2013

Yes, in 2008, on December 17th, we officially opened the Big Blue Train Forum.
After much excitement and lots of stress on the old board, ezdays and I decided that it was time to start down a different road.

We created this board with a lot TLC and respect for our membership and our staff. Path and Packey have both been tremendous in their recreating the “blue” board we once had, as well as making sure we were always happy here.

We have a lot to be thankful for, in that we have very few disagreements, just a couple of members banned for cause and very few spammers. One thing we attribute it to is that since we have no ads, there are no tracks (pun intended) for the spambots to follow Smile of course, some more persistent humans have gotten through our safeguards, but as many members have seen here, they don’t last long. Big Grin Big Grin We can thank the constant vigilance of all our members and our staff for this.

We have had many of our members participate in our challenges, tours and auctions and there are still some that are doing car exchanges. All this shows what kind of mutual respect we all have for each other here at Big Blue. This respect and friendship has been cultivated over years of having fun online… and off line as well.

The owners/administrators and the Moderators never stop trying to create new ideas for our members to join in on, so that we can keep the board fresh. However, it’s not too difficult when we have many members that have the freedom to create Weekly Picture Threads or the Hobo Camp Thread for all to enjoy! We really cherish this ride, one that everyone here makes possible. The reality of stopping in here and just calmly reading posts bears no resemblance to the board we left 5 years ago, and reflects that which we originally had… and we thank you all for participating and enjoying it all along with us!!!

Re: Five years of the Blues… - ezdays - 12-03-2013

Yes, I have to agree with Mikey, (ngauger), what a ride this has been, but according to our first-class ticket, we have yet to reach our destination. Where are we going? Well, that’s up to you all.

When I finally found time for a hobby, I have two things to thank for my choosing model railroading. The first was the clerk at my LHS that turned his back and walked away after I asked him a question regarding R/C planes. I was willing to invest in that hobby had he continued our conversation. The second was the old Gauge forums. I was groping around different train forums and found that I felt unwelcome and inferior on most of them. I was thinking about taking up knitting or some other non-confrontational hobby, 357 when someone directed me to the-gauge. That was in March of 2003, and I’ve never looked back since then. I instantly felt a part of the community, friendly people, straight answers to my questions, and great and honest advice when I asked for it, and none given when I didn’t ask. I never thought that one day I would become a co-owner of a forum that maintained the values that was established by the original Gauge. Big Grin
Well, that happened five years ago, and both Mikey and I couldn’t be more satisfied and proud of what it turned out to be. Most of you know the story; “the-gauge” was one of the most successful and most family-friendly forums on the Net. We struggled with our identity when we morphed into a catchall forum with other hobbies. Many of you left as a result, and many others left as ads started to appear. The big bang was when that forum was sold to an entity set on making profits from ads. Many more left as the atmosphere changed. When it became clear that we no longer had control and we were fast losing members and friends, it was time to break away and form Big Blue (our old nickname). Many of you came back, all our old moderators came with us, and many new friends joined. It was just like old times. 2285_ Welcome

We are here for you, our members and friends. We have vowed to keep Big Blue ad free, and thanks to your generosity, you have helped make that promise easy to keep. You all have initiated many of the things that keep this forum what it is. We can’t thank you enough, and we hope that things continue in the direction of where you want us to go. Our commitment is to keep these forums such that everyone is welcome and can feel comfortable here. Again, you all make that goal easy. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Five years of the Blues… - Tyson Rayles - 12-04-2013

Many thanks guys, job well done!
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Cheers Cheers Cheers
Worship Worship Worship
Waveof7

Re: Five years of the Blues… - Sumpter250 - 12-04-2013

It was Shamus who invited me to take on a moderator position on The-Gauge.
I honestly can't remember exactly when I first found The-Gauge, but the date January 19th 2002 seems to be familiar, I just can't believe I have been part of this board that long !
I have found inspiration here. I have learned a lot of things here. I have met friends here, and been to their homes to see what they have done.
Had a rattlesnake bash its head against a window, trying to bite me, at a house in Arizona !
Met Mikey, at a National Train show in Philadelphia, while I was there with GCLaser.
Visited Tyson Rayles, on my way to a crew reunion in Charleston.
Met several other members at Trainfest in Milwaukee.
Spent an evening with jglfan, in Boonton N.J., on one of my trips back East.
We are Big Blue now, not The-Gauge, but we are still one of the best boards on the "net", because we have the best members.
"Five years of the Blues" just goes to show that people can get together and accomplish great things!
For that I have to thank all the members, you make Big Blue what it is! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Five years of the Blues… - FiatFan - 12-04-2013

I can't believe it's only been 5 years. This is one of those places where you feel at home the minute you walk in the door. I feel as though I've been here for many years. I was on the old Blue when it got move over to that place which shall not be named. Then I saw a message form (I think) Lynn mentioning the new Blue.

I have meet many people on here and have had a wonderful time. Thanks is not enough for the administrators and the members who make this place home. Any and all of you are welcome to stop in at any time.

Tom

Re: Five years of the Blues… - teejay - 12-04-2013

Congrats to all on the 5th anniversary .....looks like I've been here almost 2 years ! Time flies when you're having fun .

T

Re: Five years of the Blues… - ngauger - 12-04-2013

Sumpter250 Wrote:We are Big Blue now, not The-Gauge, but we are still one of the best boards on the "net", because we have the best members.
"Five years of the Blues" just goes to show that people can get together and accomplish great things!
For that I have to thank all the members, you make Big Blue what it is! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

It's definitely all that and more. Smile The "Unpaid - Fully Volunteer" Staff and every member here that posts and/or donates makes this place what it is!!!!!

We thank all of you!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Five years of the Blues… - modelsof1900 - 12-05-2013

Thank you to all admins and moderators for your very well done jobs!
Thank you also for personal assistance after server movements for reorganizing of pictures or others.
Thank you all for personal help with system or for solving problems of own computer.
Wish you all time a good way for more 5 years of Big Blue and many more years for wonderful and helpful ideas, modeling help and answers on members questions. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Five years of the Blues… - Catt - 12-06-2013

Sorry Mikey.You can call this Big Blue all you want ,but to some of us it will always be The Gauge. I was invited to join by Dave about two days after the Gauge came on line.For any of you that don't know that was two days before that upstart Mikey Joined. :mrgreen: It's been a fun ride and I plan to keep riding with some of the best people I know of. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Five years of the Blues… - Ralph - 12-06-2013

I found out about the original Gauge forum in 2002 when some one made a reference to it on Trains.com. I stopped by and liked what I saw right away. Casual, friendly and helpful. That tradition has continued through the years. I've learned so much and greatly improved my layout (and continue to do so) thanks to the inspiring ideas and gracious sharing by my fellow members. It's great to be here!

Ralph

Re: Five years of the Blues… - torikoos - 12-07-2013

Congratulations all! And thanks for the hard work setting up such a nice and casual board. It appears to me that the people who are here have nothing but respect for each other and their abilities. We're not all master craftsmen, we're not all interested in the same thing, but broadly, we all like (model) trains.
Comments made at someone's handy work, are always meant as 'constructive critisism' or praise, never to put someone down. It is always helpful comments, suggestions, tips and tricks.
It's those aspects I personally enjoy the most. Sometimes I browse the forum and don't comment, just quietly enjoying what others have done and are sharing. Sometimes I participate, and it's been great. I've now been a member here since november 2009, so of the 5 years I have ridden along for 4 of them.
The way it's going, I'll be riding along for many more years yet.

Koos

PS: One more thing, isn't it time for a 5 year anniversary car? ;-) (and can it be a modern version, no roof walks :-) )

Re: Five years of the Blues… - ngauger - 12-07-2013

Catt Wrote:Sorry Mikey.You can call this Big Blue all you want ,but to some of us it will always be The Gauge. I was invited to join by Dave about two days after the Gauge came on line.For any of you that don't know that was two days before that upstart Mikey Joined. :mrgreen: It's been a fun ride and I plan to keep riding with some of the best people I know of. Thumbsup Thumbsup

357 357 Yes, you 'ol furrball.... I remember... Dave, Shamus, jon, you & I made The Gauge what it was in the beginning but what has been said here many time held true there to: It's the members that are the essence of "The Board".

At heart we still are The-Gauge, that is why you still see "Keep It Gauged" in our logo. That was Dave's tagline for "our" board Big Grin . Another few things we brought along:

jon's custom smiley: Misngth
My custom smiley: Goldth
The Gauge's train icon: train

So you see? The-Gauge is mostly still here, and all the members and staff are here, so "we" will always be the-gauge .

......... and yeah, I hope to keep riding along with you too! Goldth Misngth

Re: Five years of the Blues… - ezdays - 12-07-2013

Catt Wrote:Sorry Mikey.You can call this Big Blue all you want ,but to some of us it will always be The Gauge. I was invited to join by Dave about two days after the Gauge came on line.For any of you that don't know that was two days before that upstart Mikey Joined. :mrgreen: It's been a fun ride and I plan to keep riding with some of the best people I know of. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Yeah, you are right, a lot of us think about those days. You guys make me feel like a newbie though since I didn't come aboard for another two years after you guys did. Wink

We would have kept "The-Gauge" name, but it was sold to CG along with the forums and we didn't want a legal to battle with a group that has deep pockets. We did the next best thing and used our old nickname, "Big Blue". I think now, after five years, we have our own identity and can stand on our own, with a lot of our old members along with a bunch of new ones. That's one reason we changed from our old URL (the-gauge.net) to our current one, (bigbluetrains.com). That and the fact that it made our transition to the new server so much easier. I doubt that CG will every relinquish the old Gauge URL, although it no longer takes you to the old place, but rather to the CG website.

BTW, if you google "the-gauge train forums", the first thing to come up is..... tada..... BigBlueTrains.com, Zealot comes after us.... Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Five years of the Blues… - MasonJar - 12-07-2013

I don't know if I can add anything to all the above sentiments! Smile Except - wow, time sure flies!

Great job everyone - members, mods, technical wizards, and of course to Mikey and Don for providing us with the best forum on the interwebs. Wink

Andrew

Re: Five years of the Blues… - railohio - 12-07-2013

Man, I'm getting old if I've been around you people ten years now. :mrgreen: