Westbrook - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Westbrook (/showthread.php?tid=6682)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Westbrook - alcanman - 03-08-2014

TTRAK_andrew Wrote:G'day Mal & All, The work here is really impressive. But I have one point to pick regarding the grain hopper un-loader, a rather practical one in the real world. The covered hopper looks like it is almost right at the end of the rails but there is still one more discharge door to line up over the grating. Will the customer only get two thirds of his consignment? Probably a mistake I'd make myself in the course of building a layout. Can you fit in another inch or so of rail?
Regards, Andrew G.

Good point Andrew. When designing the layout, with, of course, space at a premium, I simply figured on centering the car over the unloading grid.

However, after some foliage clearing, the end hopper bay can now be discharged. Wink

Mal

Re: Westbrook - TTRAK_andrew - 03-08-2014

G'day Mal & All, a company responding to consumer demands, good to see!
Regards, Andrew G.

Re: Westbrook - faraway - 03-09-2014

I nice model. I like the integration of the concrete foundation with the unloader and the grids. It looks very well.

Re: Westbrook - torikoos - 03-09-2014

alcanman Wrote:
torikoos Wrote:That unloading facility is very nice, is that a kit?
Looks great. I am still looking for another small industry for my Tree Point module, and this looks like something I could use for the space I have.

Koos

Yes, it's a new Walthers Cornerstone kit <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-4036">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-4036</a><!-- m -->

Mal

Ha yes, just before your answer I found it myself, I thought it wasn't part of that kit, but I hadn't seen the image clearly. :-)

I do like it, but it seems where I thought of using it myself, there's not enough space after all, looks like I have to think of scratch building something.

Koos

Koos

Re: Westbrook - alcanman - 03-14-2014

With plenty of snow still lying around in northern New England, I can see why they stock up on so much road salt!

Here we see a 'fall' view of the Westbrook local with 2 covered hopper cars loaded with road salt. They will be unloaded at the transload facility seen in the background.

Mal

Re: Westbrook - jonte - 03-14-2014

Mmmmm.......Nice Thumbsup

Jonte

Re: Westbrook - sailormatlac - 03-15-2014

I really like what you are doing with you layout. Simple, well balanced scenery, effective use of building and backdrop... Really inspiring, it gave me new ideas to refurbished a sad corner of the layout.

Matt

Re: Westbrook - torikoos - 03-15-2014

Nice bit of photoshopping again Mal :-) looks great!

Koos

Re: Westbrook - talltim - 03-20-2014

Catt Wrote:
Quote:The sad part is the manufacturers are still cramming steam era buildings down our throats. Wallbang

Funny I had guy from one of the bigger laser companies tell that modern buildings don't sell because nobody models modern times. Nope I asked how he knew that and his answer was "It's common knoledge that nobody models modern stuff" Then I asked him if that was true why were so many people buying modern locos and freight cars.He just walked away . Wallbang

Perhaps one of the reason is that modern shoebox buildings don't sell is that they are lot easier to scratchbuild than older, more ornate brick built buildings?
In the UK there's less of a distinction between steam era buildings and modern buildings, of course modern building styles can't help but be modern, but many older buildings remain (and not just as trendy urban living conversions) so are both steam era AND modern. A great generalisation, but in the US these older buildings tend to be torn down and replaced.

Re: Westbrook - Brakie - 03-20-2014

Perhaps one of the reason is that modern shoebox buildings don't sell is that they are lot easier to scratchbuild than older, more ornate brick built buildings?
---------------------------------------------------
That could be a factor but,in a RTR hobby does scratchbuilding count any more? I fully agree those shoe boxes can't be that hard-a reinforce kid's shoe box might make a good starting point. Confusedhock:

You are correct they tear down the old buildings and build shoe boxes,prefab homes or high raises and mark it down as the progress of man.

Re: Westbrook - fast car - 03-20-2014

Brakie Wrote:Perhaps one of the reason is that modern shoebox buildings don't sell is that they are lot easier to scratchbuild than older, more ornate brick built buildings?
That could be a factor but,in a RTR hobby does scratchbuilding count any more? I fully agree those shoe boxes can't be that hard-a reinforce kid's shoe box might make a good starting point. Confusedhock:

You are correct they tear down the old buildings and build shoe boxes,prefab homes or high raises and mark it down as the progress of man.

If you are modeling a prototypical industry or scene, scratch building is a must. These days modelers such as Lance Mindheim, whose work is exceptional, are now relying on 3D printers to make precise plastic cuts and photo wallpapering to make a nearly exact replica. If anything, scratch building is getting more expensive depending upon the level of reproduction/authenticity you want.

Larry

Re: Westbrook - Brakie - 03-20-2014

fast car Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Perhaps one of the reason is that modern shoebox buildings don't sell is that they are lot easier to scratchbuild than older, more ornate brick built buildings?

If you are modeling a prototypical industry or scene, scratch building is a must. These days modelers such as Lance Mindheim, whose work is exceptional, are now relying on 3D printers to make precise plastic cuts and photo wallpapering to make a nearly exact replica. If anything, scratch building is getting more expensive depending upon the level of reproduction/authenticity you want.

Larry

Absolutely but,those of us that lacks a 3D printer and the skills to use one are stuck in the Jurassic age of scratchbuilding and considering there are those that may even lack the scratchingbuilding skills even for a simple shoebox industrial building..

One could have his 3D buildings made by Shapeways.

Re: Westbrook - shortliner - 03-20-2014

In my local newsagents this morning, here in UK, I noticed a new partwork magazine called something like "Build your own 3d Printer" - methinks that that could work out a tad expensive!

Re: Westbrook - fast car - 03-20-2014

Brakie,

I totally agree. Were only limited by money and the time to practice our skill building.

Larry

Re: Westbrook - wsor4490uk - 03-26-2014

Hi Mal,
Great work, keep it up.

Chris