Freelance 2014-2 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2014-2 (/showthread.php?tid=6708)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - jonte - 05-26-2014

Or possibly this, Reinhard (both pictures at top of page) <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/Davies.html">http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/Davies.html</a><!-- m -->

Wouldn't mind building something like this myself.

Great progress btw Thumbsup

jonte

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - faraway - 05-26-2014

Almost complete (with bumper!)
[Image: IMG_3333_zps29c472c7.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3336_zpsf15bd1ec.jpg]

The mostly plain backside forms another little brick canyon with the other large warehouse
[Image: IMG_3335_zps66d0bb56.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - Kev1340 - 05-27-2014

That last shot looks great Reinhard Thumbsup I can't wait to see it all weathered in it will be very atmospheric Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - faraway - 05-27-2014

Kev1340 Wrote:That last shot looks great Reinhard Thumbsup I can't wait to see it all weathered in it will be very atmospheric Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
That is what I did this evening but my weathering skill is not very well developed. May be somewhat to clean is better than lousy weathering. The bricks got a black wash. That black wash virtually eliminated the mortal wash largely. A bad surprise.
[Image: IMG_3341_zps23140245.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3342_zpsabbc7f4a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3343_zpsd356fcb3.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - fast car - 05-27-2014

Reinhard,

Looks really great. Weathering looks fine. I don't think its wise to pick one thing such as weathering and say its lousy. Your modeling looks very realistic and weathering is just one small item in the overall picture. I wish I had your talents.

Larry

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - faraway - 05-28-2014

Reworked the weathering with daylight. A small brush with alcohol helped to distribute the spots I did last night with a cotton swab. I like cotton swabs for weathering because they have a different fingerprint from a brush. But in this case did they not reach into the very corners and it looked like finger paint from the kindergarten.
Weathering is like noise one of my very sensitive topics. A fairly nice done model is in general absolute okey with me. Except the noise of locomotives and the weathering must be (close to) perfect to satisfy me. I can handle noise by using Atlas engines but my weathering in general disappoints me every time. I weathered a lot of my boxcars but at the next morning I consider them as simply ruined and try to wash off as much as possible to recover them. That is the reason why I made the statement that in my eyes a clean model looks better to me than a not perfect weathered model. My usual bypass is to use a simple black wash only. That is not really weathering but it is sufficient to remove the brand new touch.
[Image: IMG_3344_zpsa1fa652a.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - jonte - 05-28-2014

Reinhard,

I have to agree with fast car and all the others: this is fabulous stuff and something for those less talented like me to aspire to!

I agree that weathering done poorly is an eyesore, or more aptly, a distraction. A little like cloudy skies which are rarely well depicted, in my humble view. More importantly, your work blends nicely to create a satisfying composition that, well, works Thumbsup

That brick canyon btw is overwhelming and makes me feel like I would walking between real buildings of such stature.

Please keep up the good work, Reinhard. Knowing you will do it we'll goes without saying Thumbsup Thumbsup

jonte

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - faraway - 05-29-2014

Thank you for all the encouragement.

I gave it another try to weather the old brick structures. I think those old buildings needed the weathering most to represent old structures in modern times (e.g. 1980). Photos of the west Bottoms in Kansas City MO are used for reference. I wanted to avoid irreversible mistakes and used water colors as they are used with small kids in the kindergarten and at elementary school. The colors are mostly used like a wash and the water had a lot of detergent to let it flow well.
This is a closeup at my desk with the used colors in the foreground. It is interesting how the camera emphasized the white wash, honored the black area and barely notices the brown painted spots.
[Image: IMG_3346_zpsad035dca.jpg]

And a photo of the same building integrated into the scenery with a normal viewing distance.
[Image: IMG_3348_zps598742cf.jpg]

The big advantage is the water color. The building may join me under the shower and we are both fresh and clean again 357

The East industry is not dominated by the mortal wash and saltpeter emission of the bricks but pure dirt. I tried that with black only. the paint is applied at the very top of the wall and runs down guided by a very wet brush only.
That may be either light
[Image: IMG_3352_zps5fce406a.jpg]

or more robust
[Image: IMG_3350_zps4cedbb67.jpg]

In both cases is the water paint mixture mainly searching it's own way down the wall (there is a lot of detergent in the water!). I controlled it only by adding water where necessary.
There is another surprising effect. The black paint water mix drives the lighter old mortal wash out of the joints and lets it set on the face of the bricks. That results in a lighter wall with darker joints with an overall reduced brown but more gray shade. It has some similarities with a light gray dry brush.

It is less visible from the distance
[Image: IMG_3354_zps30d2374e.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3355_zpsed2079b6.jpg]

and again if you don't like it... take a shower with your buildings 357

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - jonte - 05-29-2014

I sincerely hope you haven't turned on the shower just yet, Reinhard: I really love the washed out effect the paint imparts.

Sounds a great idea too. No risk: what could be better?

I must admit, I'd never have thought of adding washing up liquid to the mixture (I take it that it's to address that age-old fiend surface tension?), so thanks for sharing.

Keep it coming,

jonte

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - fast car - 05-29-2014

Reinhard,

Looks great. I especially like the last shot in this series, since it looks to be taken from a roof of an adjoining structure. The only thing possibly missing would be pallets and such. Very realistic. Nice weathering job.

Larry

fast car Wrote:... The only thing possibly missing would be pallets and such. ...Larry
Larry, thanks for the kind words.
There are nowhere any details up to now. I am still in the process of planning, building and placing of main buildings. None of the buildings is glued in place. That is key to permit easy modifications and extensions as I did it some days ago with two of the structures. All the ground is still the universal gray asphalt cover. The trucks are used for reference purposes only. Placement of truck loadings docks without trucks tends to be error prone.

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - doctorwayne - 05-29-2014

The washes look good, Reinhard - looks like you'll be showering alone. Wink

Adding dish detergent to the washes is a good idea, but you need only a couple of drops per half-litre or so. I generally use washes in a similar manner, but use a good-size brush (1/2", 1", or 2") depending on the size of the structure. In most cases, it's applied very liberally at the top of the wall, then the building is set on several sheets of newspaper and the wash allowed to run down the walls. The brush can be used to add a little more in places where the natural flow misses. As the newspaper becomes saturated with the run-off, the structure should be moved to a drier portion, and, as the drying process follows the wash down the wall, the brush can be used to remove the excess which collects at the bottom - left in place, it usually creates very distinct and irregular lines which don't look too realistic.
You can apply successive washes (same as the first or of different colours) to build-up the weathered appearance, but you can also allow the structure to lie flat for all- or a portion of the drying time. Another option is to prop up the building at an angle to lessen the rate at which the wash proceeds down the wall - this allows more of it to dry before reaching the bottom.

Wayne

Wayne, thanks for the tips. I was not sure how well the paint will run and used "some more" drops of detergent. It did not harm as long as I worked slowly. Rapid moves creates bubbles.
It is getting dark here now and I switches on the lights over the layout. That made a big change to the first building with the intense white wash. It looked absolute overdone. The white was shining like illuminated. I am very happy using this simple water paint. A cotton swap, a little water and the white paint was considerable reduced until it looked good under the lamps too. That is very encouraging to try more weathering, as you suggest some methods, with that simple to correct paint.

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - faraway - 05-30-2014

A plain boring wall after some wash
[Image: IMG_3361_zps60dccf77.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2014-2 - faraway - 05-30-2014

True-blue switching in the evening
[Image: IMG_3363_zps7a5c63a9.jpg]