88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Contests & Challenges (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=6889)

88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - eightyeightfan1 - 06-09-2014

My challenge this summer is this Atlas Station that's been on my "Get too it some day" shelf for about 5 or 6 years.
This challenge got me pumped to finally build this kit straight from the box....or not. As you will see later.

Since I model "right now..today", using this a train station for passenger service, would be far reaching, maybe a station that was renovated into a commuter station. But like most stations found today, that weren't torn down, I plan on making this one a repurposed one. Renovated into a private business.

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - eightyeightfan1 - 06-09-2014

First thing I did was primer all the parts with "shake the can" primer.

But when I went to prime the doors and windows, I noticed that some were missing. More than likely used on a scratchbuilding project. I do have Tichy Window and Door sampler, that maybe I can use, to either use a complete window, or modify to use. With the fine mullions on the Tichy, I'll probably replace the Atlas ones.
Guess it's no longer a kit build.

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - e-paw - 06-09-2014

It's a good start ,,,It will be one more thing off your "One Day" list. Mine is getting embarrassingly long. Nope

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - eightyeightfan1 - 06-13-2014

Thanks.
After priming all the parts, I sprayed all the wall sections with Model Master, Modern Desert Sand.

After masking the parts of the walls that I was going to leave Desert Sand, I gave them another coat. This is suppose to seal the edges of the masking tape.

While the wall sections were drying, I gave the windows and door, as well as the corbels a coat of Testers Gloss Brown.

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - eightyeightfan1 - 06-13-2014

After the second coat of Desert Sand dried, I gave the un-masked areas a coat of Gloss Brown. The brown was too glossy so I gave everything a coat of Dullcoat.

Some wall sections needed some touch up, so I sprayed some Desert Sand in one of those containers that lunch meat come in(I've been keeping these for just such an occasion), this insures a perfect color match.

I used the same method with the brown to hand paint the trim on the gables, and touch up the brown on the walls.

While that was all drying, I masked the roof and gave the over hang portions a coat of primer, then a coat of Desert Sand.

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - eightyeightfan1 - 09-01-2014

Didn't get much done past the paint stage.
Oh..Well. It'll be there when we do a "Finish What You Started" challenge.

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - Sumpter250 - 09-01-2014

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Didn't get much done past the paint stage.
Oh..Well. It'll be there when we do a "Finish What You Started" challenge.

Eek Eek Eek NOOOOOooooooo If I ever finish what I started, the universe will come to a horrible end !!!!

Please - - - not a "Finish What You Started" challenge Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Yeah I am familiar with that Atlas Kit. Every building in the Seaport Village,( except the gift shop, and even that had a few Atlas parts added to it, to keep to the basic look of the village ) started with those kits. The passenger station on my old modules, is also one of those.

Your "challenge project" is looking good. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - Tyson Rayles - 09-01-2014

Well what you got done looks great!

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - eightyeightfan1 - 09-02-2014

Thanks guys.

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - Charlie B - 09-02-2014

Nice looking dormers Ed. Misngth
Charlie

Re: 88's 2014 Kit Build Challenge - Catt - 09-03-2014

Your two tone paint treatment sure changes up the appearance Ed.Now I'm thinking I want one only thing is I ain't got no place to put it.