The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 02-03-2015

Hello all.

The last snow fall we had was dry and powdery and blew away. The last time I heard a temperature it was 15. North of central Ohio got a good bit of snow south of us had cold rain sleet and here we had a little of everything but mostly cold.

No major problems with the truck starting up, but it needs a bath very muddy and road salt encrusted, the inside of cab needs swept out.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-04-2015

Morning all. Sunny and warm. Highs to go into the 50's. Headed east to the farm to do some post hunting season cleanup and store cameras and etc. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-04-2015

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 12 with an expected high falling to 9 by this afternoon. Not going to be a good day.

Not much happened around here yesterday and probably going to be fairly quiet again today.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-04-2015

Good morning everyone, I hope things are settling down back in blizzard territory. We're doing just fine here temperature-wise, high today should be around 77, tomorrow we break into the 80's for the next week or so.

We had yet another tree cut down yesterday, thanks to our local HOA. A few years ago we got dinged by the HOA for a large tree in our front yard that was continually dropping garbage on the sidewalk. We'd sweep it up in the morning and the sidewalk was dirty again by the afternoon. Rather than hassle with the HOA, we just had it cut down. We had another tree next to our driveway that was doing the same thing, dropping fine leaves all winter long, much to the dismay of our HOA. So we had it dispatched yesterday. We really do like trees, and these were really nice shade trees, but at our age, we just can't go out several times a day to sweep up after them just to keep our HOA happy. I wonder if we had put some sort of a diaper or upside-down umbrella under the tree to catch all the droppings, would that satisfy the HOA rules and regulations? Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 02-04-2015

The greatest movie line ever written, in my opinion, was from "The Lord Of The Rings, Fellowship Of The Ring" prologue,
" and nine rings were given to the race of men, who, above all things, desire power "

Icon_twisted Living in a condo, I also have to deal with a Home Owners Association Wink Icon_twisted for some reason, beyond my comprehension, I'm not exactly their "favorite" resident. Icon_twisted 357 357 Icon_twisted

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-04-2015

Sumpter250 Wrote:The greatest movie line ever written, in my opinion, was from "The Lord Of The Rings, Fellowship Of The Ring" prologue,
" and nine rings were given to the race of men, who, above all things, desire power "

Icon_twisted Living in a condo, I also have to deal with a Home Owners Association Wink Icon_twisted for some reason, beyond my comprehension, I'm not exactly their "favorite" resident. Icon_twisted 357 357 Icon_twisted

Some feel more powerful than presidents and kings, and they act accordingly. We had one group in the area that refused to divulge details on their spending. Seems as if they spent an awful lot on fixing up their own homes and entertaining, all on the homeowner's dime. A few years ago, our neighbor came back from a fishing trip and had his cooler chest draining in the front yard. He was cited for having trash in his yard. Yet a friend lives next to a house in another area that was overgrown with weeds and junk, yet his HOA president told him he needed to deal with it himself. I guess they were too busy getting ready to attend some HOA meeting in Las Vegas or Hawaii where they will learn how to be fair and good stewards of our trust. Nope Again, on our dime.... Curse

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - shortliner - 02-04-2015

....and just what would happen if you suggested a very basic human urge and rapid travel to the HOA? That would certainly be the occupants reaction in a lot of places on this side of the pond!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-04-2015

I retired 5 years ago. My wife and I make suggestions to each other about little jobs to do and that is the extent of being bossed since retirement. I bought a home in an area where there is no HOA or even zoning for that matter. I did not even have to have a building permit to put up my train shed. We do have a nice neighborhood and police ourselves. I have an empty house behind me that has no septic system, therefore it can't be occupied which makes all of us in the neighborhood happy. Mother nature will take care of that problem very soon.
At this stage of my life being told what to do is a no-no. I kissed butts for 55 years to provide for my family and it isn't happening anymore. If my neighbors want to have a flag pole, or for that matter a garbage truck parked in their driveway that's their business. I have an acre of ground that protects me from everything but the smell of the farmers fields when they are spreading manure.
Several years ago down in town, (Zoned) they tried to prevent McDonald's from putting in a restaurant. They had spot zoning and the 3 lots on the main street right in the middle of town that McDonald's bought were zoned residential, even though these old rundown homes were surrounded on all sides by business.
It went to court and we now have a McDonald's. The king and all his court jesters were not happy. Goldth

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-05-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and -6 after an overnight low of -15. High for today is supposed to be in the upper teens. A warming trend is supposed to start tomorrow.

yesterday I finally finished painting the screens for the front porch. When they're completely dry they will go to the garage until the weather warms up.

On tap for today is a trip to the grocery store and whatever else My Fair Lady comes up with.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-05-2015

Afternoon all. Busy Town morning. Waiting for Enterprise [who picks you up MAYBE SOME DAY SOON] rental car for pickup. Every time. Wallbang Off to Charlotte BPS until Sunday noon. Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 02-05-2015

Finally feeing better after a bout with the flu. Shoot

I'm thinking of an addition of scenery to the layout Icon_lol Icon_lol Maybe.... Just maybe; I'll post pics soon. Goldth Goldth

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-05-2015

Good morning everyone, still morning here, and it's right at 70 degrees and heading to the low 80's. Record high temps forecast in a few days. I had to kind of rub that in since some of you are experiencing record lows. Sorry about that, but if it wasn't for Uncle Sam, I might have stayed in New Jersey and would be fighting blizzards right now rather than running around outside without a jacket in February. Big Grin

Glad to hear you're feeling better Mikey. Thumbsup Our doctor told us that there are a few strains of the flu virus and hundreds of strains of other viruses going around that hit you in various parts of the body. But, the authorities only think that it's serious if they happen to catch one. They're concerned about an outbreak of the measles where it can put someone in bed for a few days or even a weeks or better and sometimes in the hospital. Then we have the flu and those other viruses that can..... uh, put someone in bed for a few days or even a weeks or better and sometimes in the hospital. The difference is that there are around 125 cases of the measles here right now and a few hundred thousand cases of the flu or just some winter virus. Both incidentally can easily be spread by coughing or sneezing, yet all the emphasis is on the measles outbreak. I don't know what they're thinking.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-05-2015

We had our garage door replaced today. The bottom edge was rusty, probably from the salt that the Village spreads around. As well as the door, all the track gets replaced; not sure why, but I did whack it with the rear-view mirror a while ago.
We also need to have the people door replaced, but the quotes on that are twice the cost of the car-size door.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-06-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 18 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 30s.

I never made it to the store yesterday. I decided it was just too cold to go out. So I will be heading to Walmart soon. After that I'll head to the gym. This afternoon I'll be working on a couple of projects for My Fair Lady.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 02-06-2015

BR60103 Wrote:We had our garage door replaced today. The bottom edge was rusty, probably from the salt that the Village spreads around. As well as the door, all the track gets replaced; not sure why, but I did whack it with the rear-view mirror a while ago.
We also need to have the people door replaced, but the quotes on that are twice the cost of the car-size door.

David,
You might want to check the home improvement stores...Most doors are standard sizes, you just need to be sure of the "handedness" (which way the door swings from the entry side), and that it's got the machining for the hardware your current door has.
You'll just need an extra set of hands to hold it while you screw it into place.