The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-14-2014

Good morning everyone, I hope your week is going well for you. On the weather front, we did get a storm though the valley last night. In the southeast area, as usual, they had a lot of rain and wind and the TV reporters are out in droves showing overturned trucks and large trees laying across someone's house. Here in the northwest area, we had a lot of noise, and yes, there are a few puddles in the gutters, so I think we got just a bit of what they did elsewhere. Our problem is that the storms usually originate in the southeast and by the time they reach us, they seem to be out of any oomph. Not that I want to see a tree sitting across my roof, but some refreshing rain would be nice.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-14-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and clouds this morning. Hi of 80 for the day.
No big news here, I'm just enjoying summer.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-14-2014

Morning all. Hot and super humid. Got to spray and mow [since we had good rain last week]. Then to Home Depot to settle this washer/dryer thingy. No Mayor's thing today [cross your fingers].

RD, hope the 318 thing works for you. Good luck.

Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-14-2014

Called the scrap yard and spoke with the head man whom I had a lot of questions for. One thing I found out is that the bolt pattern for the bell housing is the same from the first 318 to the last one made. My questions included what are the gaskets and seals like? All new. Also has new main bearing seals. Any bad or weak parts have been replaced with good ones. Not new but good. It has a new water pump, fuel pump and thermostat. Good carb is included. Total cost with purchase/installation is less than $1,200, less than a rebuild kit and significantly less than what a good used van or truck goes for in this area.

RB. good luck on replacing your engine. It sounds like you have a reliable dealer there and that seems to be a darn good price for an almost rebuilt.

Just got back from the Walmart that is around two miles south of our house. They have the parking lot planted with a whole lot of Palo Verde trees. I'd say that there had to be a micro burst there last night because I'd guess that a good 20% of these trees had limbs cracked or broken. No such damage in our neighborhood though, just a few puddles here and there.

FYI, for those not familiar with the Palo Verde tree, it's native to here in the Sonoran Desert. Its trunk, branches and very fine leaves are all the same color, bluish-green. In the spring, they have a large amount of yellow blooms that are messy when the fall off, and then they drop a whole bunch of seed pods later on, which are also very messy. A beautiful tree, but just like a two-year old, you are always cleaning up after it. :o ... Now you know why we don't have any on our property. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 07-14-2014

Don - on windy days, don't park under Palo Verde trees, Chilean Mesquite, or Eucalyptus. Actually, I think the obsession with finding the one shady spot is just a bad idea. Even on non windy days, the Mesquites drip sap on your car, and let's not talk about the bird crap.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-14-2014

ezdays Wrote:RB. good luck on replacing your engine. It sounds like you have a reliable dealer there and that seems to be a darn good price for an almost rebuilt.
That's what I think too. The engine is refurbished, complete and ready to be put in. The total price is for the engine and the installation. Hard to beat that. From what I understand it has new rings and valves so it should be tight.

nachoman Wrote:Don - on windy days, don't park under Palo Verde trees, Chilean Mesquite, or Eucalyptus. Actually, I think the obsession with finding the one shady spot is just a bad idea. Even on non windy days, the Mesquites drip sap on your car, and let's not talk about the bird crap.

Yup, I try to avoid parking under any tree. It's bad enough what the birds do when they're just flying by, never mind when they're parked. :cry: The inside of your car is going to be just as hot regardless of any shade. We love trees, but had two large ones cut down the past few years because they were too big and too close to the house. One Willow Acacia was so close that even if it fell away from the house, the root system would have pulled up the slab. Since our slab is post-stressed and is basically one unit, I could see the whole front of our house sticking up about two foot higher than the back... Eek

Well, got the wound vac dressing changed and it's behaving itself for now.

Van engine started up fine this morning and with only minimal priming. It didn't try stalling out either as it sometimes does for seemingly no reason. Maybe it's gotten wind that it's about to be cast adrift and replaced.

Thanks to RT the IIc has it's sound back. The speaker was just a hair to big for the opening it needed to fit. So I brought out the Dremel and made a few little changes in the speaker bay and it slipped right in. There was some danger of the back of the speaker touching the keyboard circuit board so I put a piece of electrical tape over that part of the speaker. Closed up the unit and tested it and it works fine.

Have to back out early tonight. I was coming in from outside a while ago, lost my balance on the steps and fell backward down the steps. Now my back is aching badly. I'm gonna take a couple of oxycodone tablets and go to bed. Will not play with the computer, will not watch TV, will not pass go and collect $200. To bed and nowhere else. See y'all later.

[Image: P3202178.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-14-2014

New washer and dryer died. Dryer 2 minutes after delivery. Washer a week later. LG finally shipping new units. Home Depot is crap. Their folks here are great. Big shots stink. I have been promised a call from "Management Team" for 5 days now. Not word from them but a call from Atlanta saying you will get a call tomorrow. Never comes. Looks like the big wheels a Home Depot do not care for their customers. Had trouble with them about ten years ago and would not set foot in their stores until about a 6 months ago [except when I wired the Box, Lowes here did not carry that large of a gauge wire, does now]. Will not go back again. Shame as Wifey redoing appliances in kitchen too. Will be several thousand that will be Kenmore now.

Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-15-2014

RB: sorry to hear that, let's hope you heal quickly.

Chief, good choice, I've always liked Kenmore and Craftsman, they furnish you with a parts diagram and parts list, and make the parts available as well if you ever need them.

It's just past 5:00 and it's hot and overcast right now. No rain last night in spite of all the warnings. It could be that they had another disaster in the southeast part of the valley, but I haven't seen the TV news yet, or even read the newspaper, so I don't know. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-15-2014

Hot and humid. Possible strong storms later this afternoon.

Headed to lake house. Call from one neighbor. Next door neighbor has been gone over a month to see his son in San Diego. Came home and his shop had been broken into and lots stolen. We do not have that in this subdivision. Strange. He did tell me everything looked OK from the outside at my place. Need to go mow anyway.

Crazy weather up north. Cold in the summer time. Flooding. Send those rains to CA.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-15-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun with a Hi of 70 expected today.
Some errands to do but no train news.
Off we go.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-15-2014

Greetings, gang.

Sunny ad 54 this morning outside my window. High for today is supposed to be about 70.

Yesterday morning My Fair Lady and I got two more walls the upstairs bedroom painted and also painted the ceiling on the porch. Then we went to Des Moines to meet her sister and who were traveling through the area. Didn't get home until about 9:30 last night which is quite late for my wife.

Today's agenda will include more painting and possible mowing the yard.

All stay safe.

Tom