The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-28-2015

Good morning everyone, hope your weekend is going as well as you wanted. No more rain here, at least in our area of the valley. The weather ladies on TV had rain forecast most of last week through mid-this week. The Weather Channel says no rain today, but all week starting tomorrow. I'll go with that old theory, if I stick my arm out the window and it comes back wet, then it must be raining out.... or maybe just a busted sprinkler pipe... eh?????

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-28-2015

Good Morning Blue
Sun today But more rain tomorrow.
It rained all day yesterday, add some wind to that and 100,000 are without power this morning.
Still beats a snowflake any day.
A half day outing with a couple of train buddies made yesterday an all right day.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-29-2015

Headed east to the farms. Pretty day.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-29-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 64 headed for the low 80s today. Looks to be a really nice day.

Yesterday I swapped the seats on my bikes. The seat from the old bike is much more comfortable for long rides so it's on the new bike. I still use the old bike when I go to the gym. I don't want to leave an expensive bike sitting out for an hour or more on a busy street.

Not much planned for today yet.

Don - I saw where there was a dust storm in the Phoenix area yesterday. How long does a storm like that normally last?

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-29-2015

Good morning all, yet another Monday morning for us. For those of you that work, I hope you're looking forward to getting things done, for those of us that don't, we have the whole day to put of what we need to do....

FiatFan Wrote:...Don - I saw where there was a dust storm in the Phoenix area yesterday. How long does a storm like that normally last?

All stay safe.

Tom
Some can last around a half-hour, others can go on for an hour or so. Usually, there's some rain following the dust storm, the rain insures that everything is coated in mud, every vehicle sitting outside is pockmarked with dirt. When they're followed by a lot of rain, it can take a while for the flooding to subside. There are small catch basins, lakes and washes that are used to trap or route the flood waters, but even then, may streets flood when these other things overflow. A lot of the washes cross roads, and in some cases are the road itself. We have what's called the, "stupid motorist law", where if you cross a barrier and have to be rescued from a flood, you have to pay the cost of the rescue effort.

Our "Monsoon" season has started, dust storms and rain the past two nights, and more in store all week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-30-2015

Greetings, gang.

Hazy and 63 this morning headed for a high of hazy and 80. Off and on chances of rain for the remainder of the week.

Drove down to Ames yesterday in search of a new dvd drive and some bicycle gloves. No luck on the dvd drive but did get some nice gloves. I'll be trying them out later this morning. Not much else on the agenda. I may clean out some more of the attic.

Don - thanks for the info.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-30-2015

Good morning all, I hope there's a pleasant day in store for everyone. Yup, our monsoon season is upon us. We were woke up last night to thunder, lightning and lots of rain for a brief time. Noisy and scary but refreshing since temps drop sharply when this happens. There may not even be rain in the forecast, they something like this happens. Typically, dust storms happen from late in the afternoon though late at night. Something about temperature inversions or differentials or something else that I don't understand. Nope Both the humidity and dew points rise, like right now the humidity is 49% and the dew point is in the mid 60's. Normal humidity is under 10% and I've seen dew points in the single-digits as well.

Enough on the weather, it's a good day for us to move some stuff into storage in anticipation of putting our house on the market once again....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-30-2015

Good Morning Blue
Another cloudy day and June is gone.
Our A/C has still not been on for any 24 hour period this season.
Everything is damp and more rain expected today. We are too wet and you west coasters are too dry.
Maybe it's the difference in time zones. Smile
No train news but I gave em a couple laps to keep the tracks clean
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 06-30-2015

My daughter, who lives in Chandler, was out at a park in Gilbert, when that dust storm came through. She posted pics on her blog.
Half a county worth of dirt........in the air and moving fast !! Eek Eek Eek

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-30-2015

Sumpter250 Wrote:My daughter, who lives in Chandler, was out at a park in Gilbert, when that dust storm came through. She posted pics on her blog.
Half a county worth of dirt........in the air and moving fast !! Eek Eek Eek

Since most of these storms originate in the southwest part of the valley, Chandler is a prime target and one of the first to get hit. There's nothing scarier than to look up and see a wall of dust heading your way and know that your still miles away from your house. Eek It usually can outrun you. Crazy

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 07-01-2015

Good morning big blue. It is 1/7 and I am officially retired since midnight 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-01-2015

faraway Wrote:Good morning big blue. It is 1/7 and I am officially retired since midnight 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

Congrats!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-01-2015

Congratulations Reinhard, now the fun begins..... Applause Applause

Good morning all, I'm sure some places in the Valley got hammered last night, but it appears that the monsoon storms missed us. Today it appears as if we have a cooling trend, the next few days will be around 107, but the humidity and dew points are up to the point that they are giving us those, "feels like____" reports. Anyone still using a swamp cooler should just turn it off, it does no good around what we now call the, "monsoon season".... Us old school folks still call them "dust storms", and the season was always, "summer".

Just to change the subject, for any of you that have spent time visiting or even living in the Phoenix area, you will notice that we are slowly drifting away from our old "cowboy" ways. A lot of men are walking around in three-piece suits, no longer sporting jeans and boots. Two long time cowboy-themed restaurants are now closed. The last of, and original, Bill Johnson's Big Apple closed a few weeks ago. All the waitresses there wore pistols on their hips with western attire. Today they are auctioning off all the memorabilia from there. Also closed is the Pinnacle Peak Steak House. If you wore a tie when you went there, they'd cut it off and tack it onto the rafters. Cowboys did your steaks in outdoor grills. They had thousands of ties hanging there. The Big Apple is now going to be a parking lot, and the Pinnacle Peak gives way to a housing development. Both have been around the Phoenix area since the mid-1950's, and us old folk will miss their presence. We are slowly loosing our identity. Sad

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Canadian Atlantic Railway - 07-01-2015

Congratulations on retirement Reinhard Cheers and a happy Canada day to everyone home and abroad

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-01-2015

Morning all. sunny and humid. Had showers yesterday evening/night. Refreshed garden. Busy day.

Congrats Faraway.

Interesting to hear all the noise about the Stars and Bars [Confederate battle flag]. I had never viewed it as a race issue. To me and my family, it was our heritage. Talking to some of my black friends, I now understand what they are saying. They also understand me. Seems it was used by the mean whites as their symbol. On the flip side. A black pastor in Durham wants all blacks to lower the US flag and fly the Black Liberation flag on the 4th. Works both ways. As I said, sit down and talk. Then understand each others views and respect each other. News media would stay out of it, things would work out.

On the gun side. Congressman Butterfield from NC want to introduce a bill that would give prison sentence to anyone who transferred a gun or sold a gun to anyone who commits a crime with that weapon. Stupid.

Later.