The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-26-2015

Good morning all. It's been nice these past few days, no rain, no wind, no dust storms, but according to some, that's about to change. The TV ladies say that there'll be a chance of rain all week, while the Weather Channel says that it's only Wednesday that it could rain. They also say that it'll be in the 110 +/- range all through the middle of next week. I don't know what those weather ladies say, but I bet they will disagree with that forecast. Heck, they don't even agree among themselves. We'll just have to wait and see.

Waiting now for a couple of real estate showings this morning. We've been finding places to go that we haven't been in a while, just so we're not at home when they show the house. Yesterday we drove to a clothing outlet store that's some 60 miles away, just to come back empty-handed. I guess a bargain is only a bargain if you need something. In our case, they just couldn't fill that need.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-27-2015

Greetings, gang.

72 already at 6 AM. Gonna be hot and humid today and tomorrow, then return to more normal temps by Wed.

Not much happening around here lately. Watched an interesting F1 race yesterday. While watching The Last Ship last night and it's still out this morning. Guess I'll have to give them a call.

On tap for today are a number of items. I need to make a run to Menards and Walmart, make an appointment to get the tires rotated, and call the bike shop to get an appointment for some adjustments on the new bike.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-27-2015

Morning. Hot and humid but overcast. Errands. Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 07-27-2015

Spent the better part of yesterday on a pontoon boat out on the "Chain-of-Lakes", Northern Illinois. Had a great day, only downside?.....fresh water, not salt. Still, a great day ! 2285_ 2285_

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-27-2015

Good morning all. I have to wonder about what the heck it is that we're sending our youth to school to learn. Is the new math so difficult to learn, or is it the technology of today that makes our youth dependent on machines to do their math? Yesterday we stopped by a local Burger King, our tab came to $7.41. I handed the young gal a $20 bill, and she handed me back..... $7.41 as change. When I called her on it, she went completely blank. The cash register display did not tell her how much change I was due, and she couldn't figure it out. She had to call the manager, she said that the machine didn't tell her how much change was due. I told her to just give me back $12.59 and I'll be happy. She did, without hesitation. This is the same place that a few weeks ago, I got an extra $5.00 back in change, and the clerk wasn't at all fazed when I gave it back to her. I just wonder, don't they teach basic arithmetic any more, or is the present generation so dependent on their machines to do that kind of work that they too someday may not get the correct change and not know it?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - teejay - 07-27-2015

Yep , basic math , spelling , punctuation ........writing a sentence ( !!!) ....all gone by the wayside , I'm afraid . Kids rely on cellphone/texting devices 24/7 and play video games on line . It's very different from what we were expected to learn .

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Puddlejumper - 07-27-2015

Hello all. Just dropping in to say hello. It has been quite some time since I was active here. I guess life gets in the way of model trains sometimes. My HO scale layout is gone and I am going to be building large scale stuff now, no particular scale on G gauge 45mm track. Hope everyone here is well, I do see we have lost a couple of members since I was last active and for that I am sorry. I am going to be lurking and posting around again, going to be hanging around the large scale forums and look forward to some new modeling challenges.

Dave

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 07-27-2015

Don
I was just wondering today if all today's education is done on Harold Hill's "Think System ". (See The Music Man)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-28-2015

Greetings, gang.

70 and a thunderstorm at the moment. More rain this morning but the skies should clear off this afternoon.

A very special award should go to the National Weather Service for their exceptionally accurate forecast for yesterday. Sunny skies with a high of 87 was predicted. The NWS was exactly right - except for the high. It was 75. Oh, and the sunny skies - they produced an inch of rain.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-29-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 64 headed for sunny, breezy, and 82. Looks to be a nice day today in the remote reaches of northern Iowa.

Some minor accomplishments yesterday. I got the tires rotated and signed up for an older driver course through the local senior center. Nothing major on tap for today other than a trip to the gym.

A friend has loaned me some books to read. I started one late yesterday afternoon. Only made it through the first chapter and had to put it down. The wife of the hero in the book is suffering from terminal cancer. So many memories. I just couldn't continue. Sorry to burden you all with this but I needed to get it out somehow.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-29-2015

Morning all. Hot and humid. Yesterday I was in the woods in Edgecombe at farms. Got so wet from sweat that my wide leather belt was soaked when I got home. Went through a lot of bottles of water. Cell phone app said I walked 12,255 steps. Mostly with a backpack sprayer on my back. Getting ready for deer season.

Tom, you are always on my mind. Hang in there.

All have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-29-2015

Good morning all, hot and humid, that's what's in store for us. I guess a lot of other folks around the country are dealing with the same kind of weather. For us, today's forecast is 104 heading to 112 by Sunday, with rain in the forecast all week.

BR60103 Wrote:Don
I was just wondering today if all today's education is done on Harold Hill's "Think System ". (See The Music Man)

Ah yest, the "Think System". I think what they're teaching is school now is the "Don't Think System"....Why bother to learn basic arithmetic when we have our dirt-cheap calculators and cell phones that can do all that. What happens when these kids are on the other side of the counter and can't subtract one number from the other to be sure they didn't get shortchanged? How is this current generation every going to be able to read or write in longhand when they've now stopped teaching cursive writing in schools? And how about history when they find that many history books change history to suite the author's whims? What would happen to these kids if they were to not be able to go to the mall or access the Internet and cable TV for a few weeks? Suppose their only interface to the outside world would be through their parents and the library?

Have a good one folks, and say a prayer for those firefighter battling those blazes in California, Oregon and other states.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-29-2015

Windows 10 works on my computer. ....I'm happy Big Grin Big Grin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-30-2015

Morning all. Hot and humid. In a rush. Sudden call for TV interview on the bypass and being open. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-30-2015

ngauger Wrote:Windows 10 works on my computer. ....I'm happy Big Grin Big Grin

Wow, how did you get it so soon? I'm still in the "we'll notify you when we're ready to send it" group. Glad it's working OK, I'm looking forward to getting it as well.

Good morning all. 50% chance of rain yesterday and we wound up on the wrong half of the forecast. Today there's a 20% chance of rain, tomorrow, 50% again. My new attitude is to treat these professional's forecasts more as opinions rather than fact. I found out that there are two kinds of meteorologists, the kind that are trained to spend their careers working on the weather, and those that are "broadcast meteorologists", trained to present the weather on the TV newscasts. Regardless, I see where a lot of folks in other parts of the country are being treated to temps like we have here. I don't know what's going on, floods, fires, tornadoes, drought and now heat waves, is Mother Nature rebelling against us for some reason???????