The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-21-2015

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 63. A rain shower just passed through on its way east. High for today is supposed to be 81 and windy.

No major plans for today. Just hang out here and get ready to leave again on Sunday.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-21-2015

Good Morning Blue
70s today, the windows are open and a summer breeze is flowing in.
We had company yesterday afternoon, ran some trains, ate some pizza,and had a nice chat.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 08-21-2015

Clear blue sky, bright sun, so far, a "perfect" day. . . . . . and I will probably spend it indoors, working on "details" for my Destroyer model.
Got an "old friend" working again. Back in the days when S&H Green stamps were redeemed for cash ( before they came to be redeemed for "product" ), my Grandmother used the cash to purchase a "striking clock", which came to be a part of my childhood. That clock has been overhauled, new bushings, a cleaning, oiling, and now, working as it used to. The deep tone of the "bell", and the steady "tick / tock" brings back old, and pleasant memories, well worth the The $357.00 overhaul price, for all those memories.
The "minute hand" was broken, many years back. I asked that it be left as is, because I intend on building a new one, using the hour hand as a pattern.
I can't remember how long it goes before the next winding, the "Ship's Bell Clock" is eight days. It would be nice if they both could be wound on the same days.
The ship's bell clock just struck "Four bells" ( 10:00 AM ) . . . repeats the cycle 1-8 bells every four hours, odd number on the half hour, even number on the hour
Got ten out of the old clock ( 10:00 AM ).. does only one on the half hours .
Some of you might be familiar with the following.... " Captain, the officer of the deck sends his respects, and reports the hour of noon. All chronometers have been wound and compared. Request permission to strike eight bells"

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-21-2015

Extremely busy. Hearing Dr. this AM and then Town up until now. Hearing test shows 96% right ear and only 64% left. Dr. says unusual. Thinks comes from shooting but not sure. MRI to check to see if nerve OK. Hearing aid will not help. Something about balance of hearing and hurt good ear.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-21-2015

Sumpter
The clock I got for 20 years service is now almost 15 years old and has gone from lasting a week on a winding to a couple of days. Unfortunately, the last old-style jeweller in town closed at the end of last year, and I'm skeptical about any in the mall.

I dropped in to the LHS today. At one end of the counter a boy, 10-12 years old, was discussing with the clerk the various aspects of a half-dozen car kits, including build dates and end lettering. When he went to consult his mother, the clerk said that he was becoming optimistic about the future of the hobby.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-22-2015

Good morning everyone, let's hope your weekend is going well and you have lots of time for fun things, like running some trains or building something for your layout. As for me, my modeling activities are in limbo, most everything is packed away in storage and my old layout is still in the local landfill, never to be seen again except in the photos that I took. I still use them as wallpaper on my computers, so it will never go away completely.

Weather-wise, the Arizona Republic newspaper's front page has a story about how our heat wave and monsoon season are finally gone, yet I see by the Weather Channel, that we are once again creeping up to well over the 110 mark and will be there by mid-week.... Wallbang oh, and most everyone shows that there is rain in the forecast, they're just not in agreement as to how much and when... Nope

I wonder if a clock that has a quartz movement will ever be collectible. Unfortunately, we've never had antiques, including clocks, passed down to us from anyone, but we do have a unique wall clock made from old barn wood and has a cowboy-themed etched copper sketch behind the pendulum and an etched copper face. We also have several copper pictures made by the same artisan, all were made around 30 years ago. I know they have value, but will they ever be considered "collectible" because of their use of modern techniques? I'm sure if the clock had a wind-up movement, there would be no question as to it being collectible.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-22-2015

Not as hot and humid. Watering this AM. Rain didn't produce a lot. Then Mayor's stuff. Squeeze in haircut [SJ]. Pressure wash In-laws deck this afternoon. Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-22-2015

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 79 with thunder rumbling in the distance. A check or radar shows a line of storms in the next county headed this way.

This morning I toured the company where I worked before I retired. Interesting to see all the changes in the last 10 years. Then when to the company picnic where I got to see a lot of people who I had worked with for 25 years. When I came home I got the yard mowed and this evening I'll be doing some laundry before I head back to my son's house tomorrow. Surgery on Monday then recovery for as much as two weeks.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 08-22-2015

I met my DHL parcel delivery courier yesterday morning. He told me that he had a parcel from US for me but could not deliver it due to a missing customs label. His supervisor told him to leave it in the depot. He had no idea what will happen with the parcel as he does not know anything about he inbound process for international parcels. At the sane time shows the USPS tracking system the parcel is still in Florida and DHL tracking knows nothing about it.
Conclusion: none :o

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-22-2015

Don: collectible is as collectible does. Factors are desirability, scarcity, popularity and condition.
I don't buy anything labelled "Collectible" or "COLLECTIBLE!!!!" on the cover (unless there's something desirable inside.)

Went to the new St Jacobs and Aberfoyle Model Railway today (while SWMBO shopped). <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://stjacobsmodelrailway.com/">http://stjacobsmodelrailway.com/</a><!-- m --> They've done a great job of moving and expanding what has always been an immaculate O gauge railway.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-23-2015

Good Sunday morning to you all. To quote the weather forecast for today, "plentiful sunshine..., high temps around 108..." Just dandy, hard to believe that they had a pre-season football game last night about 10 miles to the south of us. I'd hate to see their bill for the A/C there since I'm sure they had the cover on the stadium closed.

BR60103 Wrote:Don: collectible is as collectible does. Factors are desirability, scarcity, popularity and condition.
I don't buy anything labelled "Collectible" or "COLLECTIBLE!!!!" on the cover (unless there's something desirable inside.)...

You're right, I watch "Antique Roadshow" a lot and their take is that an object is valued by what someone is willing to pay for it. For the longest time we bought Rockwell plates, not for their "collectible" value, but because we liked the artist's work. If you look at the back of these plates marketed as collectible, you will see that they manufactured thousands of these everyday for hundreds of days and used to claim that some of them resold for much more than their original price. That's what they claimed, but you can find some of these at Goodwill for a fraction of their original selling price. Again, following the Antique Roadshow, we buy things because we like them, not for their value as collectibles.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-23-2015

Good Morning Blue
Sun this morning, rain expected this afternoon as a cold front moves through.
Last week of summer already, it just doesn't seem fair. Winter months are oh so dark and long.
Not much today but a funeral tomorrow for a brother in law.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-23-2015

Morning all. Sunny and not as humid. Watering as NO rain.

SJ, time to start getting the dogs ready to pull the sled. Applause

Tom, my office use to have gatherings and invite the retired. When I left, all that stopped. Tells you who had those events.

Oldest B'day dinner.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-23-2015

Collectibles:
Years ago, someone suggested that a McDonald's box for a big burger (forget which) which had just been replaced with a plastic box would be a future collectible. The picture apparently show a burger bigger than the box and the boxes would mostly be thrown away (covered in juice and mustard).
Train collectors of our age mostly want two things:
the trains we had when we were young.
the trains we never got when we were young.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-24-2015

Good morning everyone, the start of a new workweek for some, just another day for us retirees. I guess that's a good thing since we can come and go as we please and don't have to check with anyone before we make an appointment. Still, I sometimes miss the routine and definitely miss doing something productive and getting paid to do it.

Temps here today are expected to be pushing 110, and yes, there is rain in the forecast by just about everyone that forecasts the weather. Maybe the rain will take the edge off of the heat, wouldn't that be great???? We still can't spend too much time working in the garage though, it's like a sweat box in there with the high humidity (50% at 5 AM). Apparently, it did rain somewhere in the valley yesterday, Channel 15 has a new gadget that they can transmit video directly from a moving vehicle, and they use it often now. Big deal, we got to see the rain on some local road live on TV. When I-10 was shut down a few weeks ago, we saw their van traveling the detour route. Who really cares? Nope