The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 08-24-2015

BR60103 Wrote:Collectibles:
Years ago, someone suggested that a McDonald's box for a big burger (forget which) which had just been replaced with a plastic box would be a future collectible. The picture apparently show a burger bigger than the box and the boxes would mostly be thrown away (covered in juice and mustard).
Train collectors of our age mostly want two things:
the trains we had when we were young.
the trains we never got when we were young.
And don't forget, the box they came in in pristine condition. I don't save boxes as a rule, they take up too much space but I can understand folks keeping them as collectibles. And, that plastic box that replaced the cardboard at McDonald's has been replaced by paper once again. Thumbsup

I worked at a hydro-electric plant when McDonald's made the transition back to paper from the Styrofoam packaging. Until then the river had a lot of foam packaging floating on it that would collect on our trash racks. It cleared up in a couple of months. I think the fast food places use the fact that there are folks that still have no regard for the environment and think their dump is out the car window, to spread the word about their company. You see a McDonald's bag along the highway, next thing you know you are thinking Big Mac. Nope
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-24-2015

Morning all. Hot and humid. Cold front coming through. Temps in the 80's tomorrow and less humidity. Heading to farms down east for deer food plot planting.

Charlie, we passed a town ordnance that requires all eating establishments to have a "goose neck" garbage can at their drive throughs. This has cut down about 90%+ of the fast food trash in our town. We have to stay on Sonic's butt to get them to empty theirs. Others do great.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-24-2015

Good evening all,

Work and stuff around the house have kept me kinda busy lately.

Got off work Sunday night and it was raining really hard just in time for end of shift. I park as far away from the door to get in some walking time and burn some calories. It rained so hard I was completely wet head to toe My phone and wallet in my pockets were also completely wet. It is about a 2 block walk from the building to where I park(yes the parking lot is that big). The rain was so cold it was like taking the first plunge of the summer into a cold pool, could not breath well till I got into the truck which I had to dry out this morning as the seat was still wet from where I drove home. Next time I will wait for the rain to quit before heading home Crazy

For the HO modelers here MTH is coming out with a new Allegany loco, they also are having a drawing for a set of 6 HO hoppers C&O.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-24-2015

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 64 in eastern Iowa this evening. Low is supposed to be about 50. Fall is coming.

Surgery went well today but was very long. Started at about 11:15 and didn't finish until almost 3. Doctor is pretty sure they got it all. They took some additional samples just to make sure. Should have the results on that tomorrow when I go back.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-25-2015

Hello Blue
We have an October morning, cool and cloudy.
An out of town trip for a family funeral made for a long Monday.
Today I just goof off, was tired last night but seem ok today.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-25-2015

We had a bit of an excursion today. On our last motorhome trip, we broke the little catch that holds the shower door closed. Couldn't find one where we were. One local dealer said that the bits for trailers and MHs are different; they were a trailer shop but gave us the name of a complete dealer in Hamilton.
We went and they looked at the bits, went back, and came out with the exact replacement. The part was $8 and Dayle said it wasn't bad. Shocked the salesman; people usually say how expensive. But given how far we'd driven (at least it wasn't on the toll route), and wondering how many of those things they might sell...

I have a box of two catches that don't fit. Anyone?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-26-2015

Good morning folks, ahhhh, yet another Hump Day where the newspaper is filled with grocery ads. Years and years ago, they said that Wednesday was the slowest day for grocery stores so they started to place their newspaper sales ads on that day. It must have worked and so I guess things have never changed since then. We now even have "senior Wednesday", or get an extra 10% on the first Wednesday of the month at some major chains. Around here, surrounded by the Sun Cities, I'd pay them 10% on those days just to find a decent parking space near the store. Crazy

We had a big storm roll in yesterday, big enough that the local station pre-empted the national news just to cover the storm. They said it was some 10 miles wide and was cutting a path from the southeast into the Phoenix area. Just as usual though, it stayed on the east side of town and we didn't see a drop of rain where we are. Nope Not complaining in this case though since they were showing pictures of flooded streets, roofs being ripped off and parking shelters flat on the cars underneath. Sometimes you have to be careful of what you're watching since they've been known to show footage of storm damage from years ago and not mention that fact. 35

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-26-2015

Morning all. Cloudy and cool. Did food plots down east yesterday. Used neighbor's tractor. Made it a lot easier. Took all day.

Tom, prayers for good results.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-26-2015

Don:
Our stations have ads for the newscasts, during the newscasts, featuring footage from times past. A couple of times this month I've worried about the upcoming blizzards.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-26-2015

Greetings, gang.

A long day started at 3 am when son started spouting large quantities of red fluids (not all blood). Ambulance ride to
ER. Bleeding stopped. I went to get the car and as he walked out the bleeding started again. Surgery found one blood vessel that had not been sealed. Fixed that and all is well. He's resting comfortably in the hospital and should be home tomorrow.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-26-2015

Prayers Tom. Will be gone early tomorrow AM. Not back until late. All day meetings.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-27-2015

Good morning folks. Tom, glad you all caught that quick enough and that things are on the mend. Good luck to you all.

Those weather people speak with forked tongue. They tell us that the "monsoon" storms are over, but then warn us about probably the worse storm of this season that's heading our way. That has to be the idea job, you can't go wrong since everything is based on percentages. How can you go wrong when you say, "there's a 50% chance of a hurricane hitting Dubuque, Iowa". Not very likely to start with, but they are right regardless. 35

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-27-2015

Afternoon. A break at the house to let dogs out. Had meetings in Raleigh all morning and until now. Off to more in a few.

DAZ, I hear the same from my train buddy in CA. Big flood coming so he has been told.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-27-2015

If they say "50% chance" 10 times, you should get 5 hurricanes out of it. I would expect that if the probability gets that high, it would be 50% Dubuque and 50% des Moines.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-28-2015

Good morning everyone, the start of a nice weekend for you all I hope. Well, that 20% chance of rain yesterday turned into closer to 150%, what a downpour. Applause For a change, one cell started to the north of us and hit us first. Lots of flooded streets and freeways all over. My only regret is that I didn't get the cover on the spa in time and now it looks like mud city inside. The rain poured off the roof into the spa and since the mud settles to the bottom, it won't get filtered out by the skimmer. Oh joy, yet another drain, muck out and refill job ahead.... Wallbang Temps still forecast to be over 110 for the next few days then back down to normal (105 and lower) after that. One would hope for that seeing as how we'll be into September by then.

Speaking of hurricanes, it looks like Florida is in for it with one heading their way. I hear that it will miss Dubuque and Des Moines though, although there is a 10% change they could be hit by a tsunami someday. Crazy