The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-21-2015

Yup, still morning here. Lots of rain in the forecast, anywhere from 10% or 90%, again depending on who you're listening to. I've seen several flood warnings, just no rain so far.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-21-2015

Greetings, gang.

It's a sunny and breezy 75 here in the remote reaches on northern Iowa this afternoon, which is supposed to be the high for today.

Just got back from my bike ride. I was going to go to the gym this morning but when I got there I realized my security chain was on the other bike so I just turned around and came home. Not much else planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-22-2015

Good Morning Blue
Sun with 70s for the Hi
Nights are coming sooner now and chillier.
We have safely returned from a 2 day pleasure outing with cuz and his wife.
Already went to the car wash to get the freshly squished bugs off.
Granny says I may have just eaten the last real BLT of our summer season.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-22-2015

Good morning on this last day of Summer... Yup, tomorrow is the "something" solstice, there has to be a name for it, but I'm not sure since I've never heard it called the, "fall solstice". Nope

It did rain a bit yesterday and last night, but not a lot. There was a big black cloud that passed close by and I guess we got the showers from the perimeter. It looks ominous out right now, but as usual, there's that 10% change that it will NOT rain, and it probably won't..... I'd give you the forecasts, but based on what I've seen, you can pick any number between 10 and 90, and be right on someone's forecast. Crazy

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - teejay - 09-22-2015

Mornin' All ........I'm waiting with bated breath for the windfall our politicians have promised us Canadians in the fall elections ......all 3 major parties will have us fulfilling our dreams ! Honest , they PROMISED us ! Can't wait .....

A perfect Fall day here in the Great White North ......sunny and temps in the high 60's . A perfect day for doing nothing !

T

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-22-2015

Afternoon. Sunny and breezy. Suppose to be cloudy with chance of showers. ????? Busy day again today. Just stooping through to let doggies out and back in.

Glad to see a Canadian.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 09-22-2015

Evening all not a lot going on here. Took cat to the vet's yesterday and while there heard that familiar sound of the train blowing its horn but to my surprise it was 2 Union Pacific engines pulling the line of freight cars not Norfolk Southern in fact no Norfolk Southern engine at all I know they lease from each other but never seen the other road name only running the run of cars by it's self. Guess they do but kinda surprised me.

Just a lazy evening. talk to you all later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-22-2015

rtraincollector Wrote:Evening all not a lot going on here. Took cat to the vet's yesterday and while there heard that familiar sound of the train blowing its horn but to my surprise it was 2 Union Pacific engines pulling the line of freight cars not Norfolk Southern in fact no Norfolk Southern engine at all I know they lease from each other but never seen the other road name only running the run of cars by it's self. Guess they do but kinda surprised me.

NS has purchased all of the UP SD90's and some are set up as leaders now. This may be what you saw.    
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 09-22-2015

ezdays Wrote:Good morning on this last day of Summer... Yup, tomorrow is the "something" solstice, there has to be a name for it, but I'm not sure since I've never heard it called the, "fall solstice". Nope
Don:
"solstice" is from the Latin for :the sun stands still". This happens in December and June. As we move around the sun, it appears to set farther and farther north (or south) until it reaches the end of its travels and starts to come back. For the couple of days right at the turn, it seems as if it doesn't move at all, thus "standing still". (It still crosses the sky, though).
In September and March we have a different phenomenon. The days lengthen from the winter solstice and the nights shrink, and at one point they are equal. This is called the "equinox" ("equal night" -- nowadays the daytime may be asking for equal billing). Someone else can explain why the sunrise and sunset on those days are not both at 6:00.

Think of the sunset as being on a Sine wave; at the extremes there is little movement, but in the middle (as it crosses the axis) it moves quite fast.

Tomorrow, I have an invite to the Wednesday Night Water Boilers.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-23-2015

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 64 headed for cloudy and 79 today. Chances of rain start today and continue through tomorrow night.

Had a pleasant day yesterday. Did some house cleaning and yard work. During the yard work I discovered that a solder joint had failed on the outdoor track so I got that repaired. Got out the Shay and some logging cars and ran trains for a while. Daughter and son-in-law came by for supper. Also got some good news from son. Insurance company has approved his radiation treatment. Next he has to make a dentist appointment to see if any teeth need to be pulled in the next year or two???!!! Whatever.

Son also yelled at me for not making an eye appointment. I lost my glasses while traveling to his house on the last trip. I'm using my previous pair for now. He's right, I do need to get new glasses.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-23-2015

Good morning all on this first day of fall. Thanks David for the explanation, I knew I wasn't right and keeping up with this stuff is as hard as keeping up with the different weather presenters on TV. The one real talent that they demonstrate every time they go on the air is the ability to work in front of a blank green screen and make everyone think that there's a full-size map behind them. I wish that they worked just as hard getting their reports more accurate though. A few of these people are really accredited meteorologists, while most are "broadcast meteorologists" trained to do their thing on TV. A few just majored in broadcasting at school but can work that green screen as good as anyone else.

They've taken rain out of the forecast for now and in its place, they've added temps up to 105 through the weekend and 100+ beyond that. I've been living in this area for the best part of 60 years, and folks, these high temps this late is really starting to get to us. One of the hottest summers on record, and it's getting old. Wallbang

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 09-23-2015

Charlie B Wrote:
rtraincollector Wrote:Evening all not a lot going on here. Took cat to the vet's yesterday and while there heard that familiar sound of the train blowing its horn but to my surprise it was 2 Union Pacific engines pulling the line of freight cars not Norfolk Southern in fact no Norfolk Southern engine at all I know they lease from each other but never seen the other road name only running the run of cars by it's self. Guess they do but kinda surprised me.

NS has purchased all of the UP SD90's and some are set up as leaders now. This may be what you saw.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Charlie
cool most likely it will take them time to get them all painted I'm sure but still was a shocker but most likely the answer to what I saw.
Morning all Just waiting for the wife to rise so we can head out for the day as have to go back to the vets with cat so they can recheck her and then guess thats it for the day as planned things. Already been out to put flag up and bring trash can back to beside garage and had breakfast nice and cool out which I can enjoy. hope all having a good Hump day talk to you all later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-23-2015

Good Morning Blue
Sun and 70s for the rest of the week.
A few small chores around the house but otherwise it will be a goof off day.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-23-2015

Actually this has been going on for some time. They now just run through. Train numbers changes from UP to NS but engines stay the same. Saw this in LA CA two years ago. NS engines leading UP trains at the docks. Railroads now agree that their road name engines do not have to lead.

Suppose to switch from sun to clouds. Rain for the next few days. We need it. Messes with Friday night HS games ands Sat. college football.

Meeting all day today.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 09-23-2015

BR60103 Wrote:"solstice" is from the Latin for :the sun stands still". This happens in December and June. As we move around the sun, it appears to set farther and farther north (or south) until it reaches the end of its travels and starts to come back. For the couple of days right at the turn, it seems as if it doesn't move at all, thus "standing still". (It still crosses the sky, though).
In September and March we have a different phenomenon. The days lengthen from the winter solstice and the nights shrink, and at one point they are equal. This is called the "equinox" ("equal night" -- nowadays the daytime may be asking for equal billing). Someone else can explain why the sunrise and sunset on those days are not both at 6:00.

Think of the sunset as being on a Sine wave; at the extremes there is little movement, but in the middle (as it crosses the axis) it moves quite fast.

Tomorrow, I have an invite to the Wednesday Night Water Boilers.

And..... it's the Autumnal Equinox for the Northern Hemisphere (Heading into Autumn) and the Spring Equinox for those South of the Equator, they are just getting over their Winter, heading for their Summer.

On top of all this, Don't forget that there is a Lunar Eclipse this Monday night---- actually Tuesday Morning around 2:00. It's a full eclipse here on the East coast.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2015-september-28">http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/luna ... ptember-28</a><!-- m -->

I'll try to wake up and take some pics if it isn't cloudy Smile