The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 07-25-2014

nacho man Wrote:..... Only to have my battery completely give out in the 116 degree weather ....
Dead batteries are common during cold weather in winter here in Germany. I did never hear about a dead battery due to to hot weather. Is it a common problem during your hot summers?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 07-25-2014

Heat can weaken a batteries life after a while. Evening all Been a fair day took wife to lunch went to Wal-Mart and won a auction I shouldn't of Thumbsup Just trying to relax now and wife goes I will call you when I need you I switching the living room around. Curse I've already cut six 1/2 sheets of particle boards in 1/2 again and 1 full sheet in half and stored them under the train table 1 by 1 it 7 P.M. time for rest lol
well hope all had a good day

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 07-25-2014

Car batteries last on average here between 2-3 years. If you get a 2 year warranty, they fail at 2 years plus about a week. If you get a 3 year warranty, they last 3 years plus about a week Big Grin The heat absolutely kills them.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-25-2014

Good evening. It's a warm evening here. 81° out there and very humid. It's most clear with a good view of the sky. Too bad I don't have a telescope.

Finally got the chance to go to the bank today to deposit the donations I've received to change out the engine in my van. It's looking like that's going to be a reality. Got back from town and a couple hours later my father calls to invite me to dinner. Of course the van is vapor locked and won't start. So I call him back and tell him that and he comes to pick me up. Dinner was a nice affair of home fried hamburgers, his own recipe and quite good. After dinner we watched Wheel of Fortune. Afterward he took me back home where I tried starting the van again just to see if it would. Pressed the starter button and the battery connection went away. Brought out the tools and my Dremel rotary tool with steel wire brush attachment, removed both clamps, cleaned the posts and clamps then tore the clamps down and cleaned the cable ends, put it all back together and tried it again. Fired up no problem. Of course it'd been sitting for almost five hours so why shouldn't it. Other than that not much happened here today.

It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN1477.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1476.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1472.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-26-2014

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy, muggy, and 66 degrees this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be in the 80s. Then a major cool down next week.

Yesterday I returned My Fair Lady's sister to her husband. Picked her up Tuesday. 374 mile round trip each time. My 6 year old Accord got 29.99 mile per gallon each time. Not too bad.

Never did get the outdoor track fixed. We were busy with preparations for SIL's visit then busy hauling them around town. Getting the track repaired is moving higher on the priority list as grandson is coming for a week's visit next Sunday. He's bringing along his parents so maybe I can get some projects done around here.

Today's agenda will include possibly mowing the yard or maybe just resting after a long week.

All stay safe.

TOm

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-26-2014

Good morning all, I hope your weekend is going well for you all. I was right about the rain yesterday. All signs pointed to rain here, they just didn't point in our direction. Apparently the southeast part of the valley got slammed, we got nothing, not even a trickle. We did get the heat though. We've had three days in a row where the low temp did not go below 90, three records for that, and we did get on record high of 116 on Thursday. More rain in the forecast for today, it would be nice to see some around our neighborhood.

I'm still working on my challenge diorama, and yes, there is still time for you to enter one of our structure challenges if you haven't already. We still have over a month to go, so why not jump in??????

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-26-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 68 degrees
A cool summer compared to the norm.
I'm afraid we may have another nasty winter.
Might have to travel to Ariz. for the winter... Big Grin
A little work in the train room yesterday and also some train running as well.
Playing with the trains slowed down my work efforts considerably.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-26-2014

Good morning. It's 80° with 88% humidity. The high will be 95° and sunny.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Only one item of note today. My niece will be having her baby shower this afternoon. Other than that there's nothing special on my schedule. Sometime this morning I'll be putting Zelda (Apple IIc) through a battery of tests to check proper functioning of all components. I've already performed such a check on Diana (Apple //e) (first since ROM chip replacement) and found all functions to be within normal parameters.

Be back later.

[Image: P1010034.jpg]

[Image: P1010032.jpg]

[Image: P1010026.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-26-2014

Morning all. Hot and humid. Worse tomorrow. Herbicide today. Mow too.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - yellowlynn - 07-26-2014

I might try to catch up on what is going on. I don't know how to type, an weak as a newborn kitten. First apptm't was July 2 to get a time set up for the surgeon. Then July 10 for pre-op, X-rays and such, then surgery on the 15th. Every trip, 5 hours, 240 miles. Took out my bladder, prostate, and lymph nodes. They never did tell me, but I assume they got all the cancer. I've lost about 12 pounds, and still not much appetite. I came home Tuesday, and getting some strength, but weak in capital letters.

Sitting down and reading Big Blue is sure helping me a lot.

Tired, Lynn

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-26-2014

Oh man Lynn!!! Yeah, Rest up!! You're in our prayers for a good, quick recovery!..

Be good and take your time to get well again! Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-26-2014

Yeah Lynn, get rested up there man. I recently got out of the hospital myself. Landed there because of gangrene. Not fun stuff!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-26-2014

Yeah Lynn, we knew you were headed out for some procedure, this looks a bit more than anyone anticipated. We wish you the best and a speedy recovery. I think I can say for everyone here that you are in all our prayers.

Good evening. It's a warm but comfortable night. 83° and 79% humidity. Looks like tomorrow will be in the mid 90's and very humid and sunny.

Worked on Zelda (Apple IIc) this morning. Put her through a tough battery of tests that pushes the chips to their limits. She passed with flying colors. She's now an official addition to my collection. Diana (Apple //e) didn't do quite as well. The tests turned up a weakness in the video ROM. Replacing the chip fixed that. She scored full marks on the next test. Bravo. She's a keeper as well. Not bad for a rebuilt school computer from a private school in Wauconda Illinois. A computer has to be top notch to be in my collection and not just a parts source.

Went to my nieces baby shower this afternoon. Between the chicken, finger sandwiches, salad and snacks I think I overdid it a bit. But I did have fun. That's something I haven't had much of lately.

My father and I haven't chosen a date yet to take the van in to have the engine changed out. Things have been a bit busy around here. I have the money for the engine. He'll be paying for the swap out of the old with the new. Those who contributed have my thanks and the thanks of my family. These individuals know who they are. Thanks to all of you.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010021.jpg]

[Image: P1010019.jpg]

[Image: P1010017.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-27-2014

Good morning all, Sunday is suppose to be a day of rest, but hey, just do what makes you feel good, even if it does involve work of some sort. I might even try some of that today.

Well, we did get woke up last night with the thunder, and lightning lit up the room for maybe an hour or more. it did rain, I can't say how much since the heat in the cement and roads causes everything to evaporate very quickly. Sometimes so quickly that you wouldn't even know that it rained if you weren't there.

Well, I did it, I mailed off my Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes envelopes. Yup, I am not registered in around eight different drawings which makes my chances of winning in the area of phenomenal to almost guaranteed. 35 We should be seeing the "Prize Patrol" at our door sometime in January 2016, shortly after the drawing, and so we'll be sure to stay home everyday around then just so we don't miss the opportunity to be surprised on TV like all those other winners are. Icon_lol If I sound sarcastic an snarky, well, I am. With odds like this, I normally just toss their stuff, but then again, someone will win, so what the heck..... Oh yeah, the last time I mailed in one of their entries, they sent me a letter saying that if I don't buy some of their magazines or other stuff, they will take me off their mailing list. Hey, they finally got the idea. Misngth

I guess the only reason I'm talking about this here is to let everyone know about the ridiculous odds of actually winning anything are and how long before they actually draw numbers. Almost a billion and a half to one odds and sweepstakes that runs for two or more years.