The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 12-26-2015

N guager they came out in the late 70's early 80's my father had the whole sets ( there where two one freight one passenger both behind steam engines. They even had straight track for them you could buy to put them on. )

Morning all. not much going on think this cold is coming back instead of going away at one point I thought it was about gone but it's hanging on for dear life I swear. Mainly just runny nose and some coughing but getting worst oh well think need to get out side some and air the house out but it's rainy again best chance for sunny is New Years.

Well did about a $100 parts order last night and that was with removing the 2 E-units as I basically got these working I think they just need cleaning any suggestions on how to clean a sticky E-unit.

Figured part of the problem was some one wired the light to where the middle pickup came up from under the engine and connected to the E-unit and made a bigger solder joint than it should of been and it caused a short there so fixed that and the 736 started working other than the E-unit is sticking it still may need replacing but for now at least I can get it to switch direction by killing power then playing with the switch on top when I add power again. so it needs cleaning but for now it does work. lol. once I get the longer light sockets leads in I will hook the light back up and put it back together and send it out to be fixed as the worm gear wheel ( gear on axle is worn and binds sometimes) and that one wheel is out of quarter by about 1/16" so that wheel on one side has to come off the other side is fine. So tells me some one had it off before and put it back on wrong. Other than that it's a good running engine.

Got the 2023 running also but it's E-unit is sticking also but another good running engine but the shells need repainting definitely cleaning first. They look like a easy repaint just need to get the decals for the front. I've noticed just about ever one of the silver ones look like crap on ebay. So may get bold and try to pain one set yellow ( I have two sets) the one set I think will clean up okay if not will do them in silver.

I have a 2671 I'm working on has a good shell other than it looks like it started to get hot at one point and a little melt and needs repainting as white is showing thru so may try repainting that and re-decaling it also. Will see as it a original and would look better and be better on the tender.

Did manage to get a last Merry Christmas in to SJ last night before the night was over.

Think I hear mail lady out side that's 4 more packages Big Grin Smile

Talk to you all later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 12-26-2015

rtraincollector Wrote:N guager they came out in the late 70's early 80's my father had the whole sets ( there where two one freight one passenger both behind steam engines. They even had straight track for them you could buy to put them on. )

That explains the train on e-bay now Smile Not bad at all. They bought it at a local auction house.
Even though the car is G scale, the gauge of the trucks is a lot wider. I have it on display on one of our shelves, so it's still a nice piece.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Prairie Trains - 12-26-2015

Hi rtraincollector

You have to figure out if it is the drum or the plunger that is binding. Some people think that they should lubricate these, and with time the lubricant dries out and gets hard or sticky. Or in the worst case they use some thing like WD40 that melts or distorts the plastic. These should never be lubricated regardless of what you use because it will collect dust and dirt and eventually start to bind. The drum and plunger are plastic on metal, thus self lubricating. The only way to service an E unit is to remove it from the engine and disassemble it.

I have an E unit vise and spreader tool for this but it can be done by holding it in your hand and using a large flat screwdriver to spread the sides to remove the drum, contacts and plunger. If its oil and dirt I use a good grease cutting dish detergent to clean the parts. If its distortion of the plastic I use a drill bit or a small round file to clean out the plunger hole in the electric coil. If its the pins on the contact drum, you could try a jewelers flat file to try to restore the bearing surfaces. I also polish the electrical contacts on the drum and the contact fingers.

Re-assemble by placing all the parts back in as they came out, lining up the brace pin with its hole and it should pop back together.

I hope this helps you.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 12-27-2015

N Gauger they are nice trains to collect for show. finding them still fill is real rare.

Prairie Trains I know you don't use any type of lubricant on E-Units I've told that a thousand times at least but also told there are non-lubricant type spray cleaners out there ( electrical type I believe ) that I can use which will help in cleaning it if that is the case. I just have to figure out what they are and where to get them. as if that don't work I will just replace the E-unit as I can get them for less than $40 including shipping. And to be honest the main engine I'm really concerned about with it is the 736 as the 2023 it's has a rough shell and until I do something with that not really worried about it. Do appreciate your info but not sure I want to tackle E-units yet. If I had some one here with me to do a couple that knew how then I might go for it. I always here how if you don't know what your doing E-units can be so tricky.

Morning all Took a night time cold med last night about 9 and that's all it wrote. Feeling a little better now may take another tonight depending on how I do today. No real plans for today may see if the wife wants to go into Aiken tomorrow or Tuesday. I want to get a couple things at lowes/HD and she wants to goto Ross clothing store for a couple of things. I need some wire and some wire wheels. to work on some rust spots on some parts I have.

Presently 68 going to 74 and cloudy here today with possible shower or thunder storm later today.

Hope all enjoy the day in what ever there doing talk to you all later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-27-2015

Good Morning Blue
Gloomy with some misty rain. 40s today but low 30s are not far off.
Christmas eve and day were busy for us so we were just lazy yesterday.
The little Flyer train is still chuggin around the Christmas tree.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-27-2015

Morning. Sunny, breezy and hot. Gone east to hunt. Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 12-27-2015

Sitting on the river waiting for the fog to thin out, hoping to get a few pictures. Problem is that the fog is 2 hours late in clearing out Sad I guess the weatherguessers were wrong this morning..... who would have thought? Smile Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-28-2015

Greetings, gang.

It's a windy, rainy, sleety day in eastern Iowa this morning. Predictions here are for sleet and freezing rain this morning changing to rain this afternoon followed by snow tonight. This, along with winds up to 50 mph, could make for some nasty travel.

Because of the weather my son and I are in a motel in town to insure that we make it to his treatments today and tomorrow. Only 4 more treatments remain. Then it's a three moth wait to see if anything returns.

Not a lot planned for today other than watch out the window at the nasty weather. Prayers for those in the paths of all the storms raging through the country.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 12-28-2015

Morning all 68 going up to 74 foggy, with showers turning in thunder storms this afternoon fun fun fun. No plans for today although my parts from Jeff will be here so that will give me something to do this afternoon. Just sitting here trying to wake up need to take my morning pills sold a item last night on the bay a HO item so after all said and done there's $10 lol no not for trains for other projects. Got a few more items in the same category if sell would be nice a couple HO and then like 4 postwar Boxes.

Hope all having better weather than I'am. talk to you all later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-28-2015

Good Morning Blue
As elsewhere. weather is today's news.
It's 30 degrees. Afternoon snow, then sleet, then freezing rain, all here and gone by tomorrows hi of 40.
Well we had an extra 30 days of late fall, guess it's time to pay.
No train news, I'm just chuggin along.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-28-2015

Afternoon. Home from hunting. Started raining around 9 AM. Would you believe I had mallards swimming around in the trees next to my stand. Usually dry there. Unbelievable.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-29-2015

Good Morning Blue
41 degrees but going down through the day.
Well we got it all. snow, sleet, freezing rain, and then rain.
Yes we stayed in yesterday.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 12-29-2015

Yesterday's "Mother Nature Brew" of rain, sleet, and snow, made for some very slippery driving. Took me several tries to finally get the car up the ramp to my garage, and safely in it.
Winter, has finally arrived ! Eek Eek
Snow shovel is ready for the task, not so sure about my back Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-29-2015

Good morning all from "Sunny" Arizona. Well, usually sunny, just not right now. We've had temps down in the low 30's the past few weeks, and there's plenty of snow up in the northern areas. Still, we KNOW for sure that it will get warmer, very soon, while those back east enjoying warm weather, KNOW that it will get colder there very soon. Crazy

Although I do monitor Big Blue just about every day, I still have little time to post. We just had our storage unit moved into our garage and so we have a few more weeks of unpacking and saying to ourselves, "why the heck did we want to keep THIS?".... :o No more yard sales, everything goes to the Vets charity or Goodwill. It's not worth the effort to try to make a few bucks on stuff we don't need or want anymore. Nope And yes, every bone, every joint and every fiber in my body is either bruised, bloody or just plain hurts. Even though we had movers doing the work, we still have to unpack and we still are moving furniture around to suite the new house floorplan. :cry:

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-29-2015

Morning all. Sun is out!!!!!!! No rain. Eek Busy doing chores. Have a good one.