The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-04-2016

Greetings, gang.

Rise and shine you sleepy heads. Another sunny day in store for the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Right now it's 48 headed for 66. Forecasters say low 80s by Friday then 70 and rain on Saturday.

Bereavement group was interesting yesterday. Also got in my first full (14 mile) bike ride of the season. By the time I was finished parts of my body were telling me I shouldn't have done that yet. Also ran the train and had a fire in the fire pit after supper. Then I walked down to the next block to check on some storm sewer work the cit y is having done. On the way back I ran in to a neighbor. We stood and talked for a good 20 minutes. Toward the end of the conversation he told me that he had planted one tree for a neighbor who had passed away shortly before my wife and wanted to know what kind of tree my wife would have like to see planted. I was stunned. This is truly a remarkable neighborhood.

Today I need to finish the laundry and finish paying the bills. Also on tap is a trip to the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-04-2016

Forgot to mention - while I was on my bike ride I got stopped by a UP empty grain train. Saw 5 MoPac and 2 CNW grain hoppers. Cool.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-04-2016

Morning all. Partly cloudy and 66 degrees. Slight chance of a shower. More tomorrow they are guessing.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-04-2016

Just a quickie, but all, yes, even the TV people now agree that today will be well over 100 degrees for the first time this year. And yes, we've had the A/C on now for a few days....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-05-2016

Good morning, well, we did it, temps got up over 100 yesterday, right on schedule. Normal average is around May 2, the earliest is in late March and the latest is late June. (The gave the dates on TV, but I forgot and am too lazy to look them up, besides, who really cares?) Yes, the A/C was on for most of yesterday, and even kicked on this morning. I think I've got to reprogram that digital temp controller I installed when we moved in.

Right now, I'm changing out some of our lights to LED. Wow, what a difference. To be sure, I'm putting on dimmer switches now because they are way too bright. For instance, a 60 watt incandescent has around 260 lumens while a 10 watt LED lamp gives off 800 lumens. I remember when LED bulbs came out, they were going for $40-50 apiece. Yesterday, we paid $2.32 for each one at Walmart.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 05-05-2016

I presume they have a screw-in socket like a regular light bulb..??
Gus

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-05-2016

Steamtrains Wrote:I presume they have a screw-in socket like a regular light bulb..??
Gus

Yup, they make them as replacements for incandescent and even halogen and with a variety of sockets.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 05-05-2016

Thanks for the info...

Gus

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 05-05-2016

I'm at the point where I need a brighter light. My last 200W bulb blew 2 days ago and nothing like it is available; I think I should be able to get that from about 25 watts in LED.
I'm also seeing notes that the bulbs are "not to be used in enclosed lumieres" -- does that mean the ceiling fixtures with the round glass underneath?
I found a 300W incandescent in the store today, but decided to pass on it.
SWMBO has a distaste for CFL -- she doesn't like the quality of the light and they don't come on fast enough.

At the Great British Train Show all weekend -- passing myself off as a craftsman.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-06-2016

Greetings, gang.

Warm and windy is the forecast for today. Right now it's 52 headed for a high of 83 with 30 mph winds.

Quiet day yesterday. I did put some grass seed in a bare spot on the lawn and put a bag of rock in the Backyard and Southern. Decided I didn't like the look and will try something else. Beer and bereavement yesterday afternoon. When I got home from that I got out the trains and started a fire in the fire pit. Made for a very nice evening.

Nothing major on the agenda for today. Need to call my father-in-law for his 90th birthday.

All stay safe,

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-06-2016

Good morning, here we are upon yet another weekend. I don't think we're going to be in the 100's for a few days, they say rain and temps in the high 70's. We're suppose to go target shooting tomorrow, that could change with rain in the forecast.

BR60103 Wrote:I'm at the point where I need a brighter light. My last 200W bulb blew 2 days ago and nothing like it is available; I think I should be able to get that from about 25 watts in LED.
I'm also seeing notes that the bulbs are "not to be used in enclosed lumieres" -- does that mean the ceiling fixtures with the round glass underneath?
I found a 300W incandescent in the store today, but decided to pass on it.
SWMBO has a distaste for CFL -- she doesn't like the quality of the light and they don't come on fast enough.

At the Great British Train Show all weekend -- passing myself off as a craftsman.

LED lights don't give off that much heat. I'd be willing to put one anywhere there's an incandescent. And you're right, I picked up a couple of CFL's thinking that they were LED's. They're as bright and give off a nice white color, just that they take a few seconds to start up. I don't like that either and I think they'll go back to the store. After putting in those LED's, all the others look yellow and dingy, even the halogen ones. They do make LED bulbs with those halogen bases, so I guess they'll be replaced as well. This is like eating potato chips, it's hard to stop once you've had one.... Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-06-2016

Morning. Been busy last few days, Raining forever. Hope it stops today. Was lucky as no bad storms since last week here. Some had hail but not us.
On the run to get grass carp for pond. Town stuff heating up due to proposed budget. One old commissioner wants to fight rest of the Board.
Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-07-2016

NO RAIN! Sunny and 66 degrees. Would gladly give Alberta CA some of this wet. Hope they get rain and fire stopped. Errands and mowing today.
Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-07-2016

Good Morning Blue
Sun,kinda, and 70 today. 78 yesterday.
That's perfect outdoor weather.
I have CFLs all through the house. One important thing I learned is buy the brand name bulbs. They are superior to the off brand ones.
Grass is cut and looking real good this year. Train news , we are working on new 3 rail modules, progress has been made but still lots to do.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-08-2016

Greetings, gang.

There's a light shower in progress in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Right now it's 48 with a predicted high of 70. Rain chances continue off and on through Thursday.

Quiet day yesterday. I did get the yard mowed and a 10 mile ride on the bike. Once the yard dries out I need to do some minor track repair. Tomorrow I'm headed back to my son's place. On Tuesday we get the results from the PET scan.

The smoke from the Canadian forest fire arrived as I was getting the newspaper in yesterday morning. It looked like several people were burning leaves. It was really quite eerie watching the smoke come down the street.

All stay safe.

Tom