The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-03-2016

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 63 after an overnight low of 50, a little cool for July in Iowa. High for today is supposed to be 77.

Very little accomplished yesterday. Just finished watching a very entertaining F1 race. Today I need to install the other two retaining walls for the new tunnel.

Don - Rapid City, SD does their fireworks on New Years Eve. It's frequently too dry in July to set off fireworks.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-03-2016

Good Morning Blue
Sun and 82 today.
Michigan use to ban any fireworks that left the ground. Didn't do any good everybody just went to Ohio and bought truck loads of them.
Seeing the loss of sales tax they changed the law. Now some cities are complaining about the new law...and so the soap opera continues.
Outdoor food and fire works with the kids today. No plans for tomorrow, yet.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-03-2016

Morning. Been watching TV. We had 1.7 inches of rain in about an hour earlier this AM before light. Wow. Weather guessers are all over the place on what is going to happen weather wise for the next two days. Wasn't suppose to do this one during the night.

Cooking my famous squash, zucchini and onions for in-laws. Wifey cooking other for them. She wants me to go with her. Icon_lol

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-03-2016

Ahh, got the stuck valve replace on our irrigation system. Fortunately, Rain Bird still makes basically the same one and I could just replace the guts and not have to install a new unit. Oh, and Tom, they caught on to the low cost of water in parts of Arizona since you left. A few years ago, my monthly bill was in the $35 to $45 range, now it's double that. I'm expecting a good $40 more this month thanks to that valve. I don't think we'll have to turn it on for a few days though, the ground is soaked, even in places where there's no plants. Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-03-2016

Well, another 4 day weekend... Hope to do some train watching tomorrow and Tuesday Smile

The weekend chores are finished and I have nowhere that I have to be after tonight until work resumes on Wednesday. I'm going to an outdoor show tonight with a few friends:

John Hoey Orchestra:
Evening of Swing Hot orchestra performs songs of the ‘30s thru ‘50s by Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny
Goodman, Tommy Dorsey.
Special guest artist: Clarinetist Joe Smith.

I always liked listening to the big bands. So this should be a nice Holiday treat.

Everyone have a Happy Independance Day!!!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-04-2016

Good morning all, and a Happy Fourth of July to all of us in the USA. A typical lazy day for most, grilling hot dogs, spitting watermelon seeds (in some places anyway), watching (or creating) fireworks tonight, boating on the rivers and lakes and just doing things for pleasure, not because one has to do them. We salute those who gave their all 240 years ago so that we could do these things, and don't forget, there are thousands and thousands of men and women who are defending our rights so that we may continue doing them, most of whom will not have this day off for themselves. For us, we have nothing planned, just to hang around and see what the day brings....

Mikey, that concert sounds like something we'd go to. I notice that just about all of those PBS "oldies" music programs originate in either Philly or Pittsburgh.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-04-2016

ezdays Wrote:Mikey, that concert sounds like something we'd go to. I notice that just about all of those PBS "oldies" music programs originate in either Philly or Pittsburgh.
Yup - Believe it or not, there were no teenagers there Smile Smile It was good music, they even tossed in a bit of Sinatra with "Chicago".

WLVT (Lehigh Valley TV), WQED (Pittsburgh) and WHYY (Phila) are the 3 leading production establishments for public broadcasting. They have done productions in every historical place of interest in this area (NY, PA, DE, OH, WV, VA, NJ and MD).

They have some great programming. I try to watch the annual documentary on the battle of Gettysburg every year. They are running the tours they recorded Friday, later on today.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-04-2016

Happy Forth of July, gang!

Cloudy this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. 63 right now headed for 79 and partly cloudy this afternoon.

Got the other two retaining walls installed on the new tunnel yesterday. Now all I need is dirt to cover it all up.

On tap for today is a trip to a neighboring town for a family picnic. Grandson's girlfriend is hosting. All I have to bring are chips and a beverage of my choice.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-04-2016

Morning. Rainy 4th here. Parade this afternoon late [doubtful as it looks now]. Resting and watching nation's growth on History Channel.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - e-paw - 07-04-2016

Happy 4th....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - TrainNut - 07-05-2016

Cool picture! We had a blast over the weekend with the fireworks... pun intended! I think I foolishly spent around $300 but we got some really good ones and had enough to do half on the third and the other half last night. We still got all that rain I was talking about but it conveniently broke each night so we had plenty of time to launch. By last night, it finally occured to me (I can be a bit slow at times! 357 ) how to put them real close together and twist three or four fuses together to launch more than one at a time. It was weird in that most people around here celebrated on the 3rd and hardly any fireworks on the 4th. I guess everybody was anticipating going back to work today.

Glad to hear you got your water leak fixed Don. How's the packing coming along?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-05-2016

Rain went away. Sun came out and stayed partly cloudy. All went off great. Weather guessers missed it again. Thumbsup
Hope all are OK. Not much on agenda this day. County Commissioners at 5. No Town Board. Applause
Did you all know this? http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-05-2016

Good morning all.Yeah, we had fireworks in our neighborhood. We had them were we just moved from, long before they became legal. But in any case, they're restricted to what they can set off, no rockets, no cherry bombs or even firecrackers. They have these large assortments at Walmart, and who knows what they're selling in those temporary tents, but anything deemed dangerous, super loud or flies, is off limits. Still, there was enough noise last night from our neighbors to keep us awake for a while.

TrainNut Wrote:...Glad to hear you got your water leak fixed Don. How's the packing coming along?

Well, we're still in the middle of unpacking and repacking. Got a bunch of stuff we sorted out to go to charities and repacked the rest. Our problem is, that our next move will be a super downsize and anything we keep stored won't have room in the next house or apartment to put it, so we either give it away or store it for the next generation to give away. Now's the time to shed stuff that we haven't used in years, or haven't even seen since we packed it several years ago. All our lives change as we get older and more fragile. I have a hard time doing things I did just a few years ago. It takes longer and hurts more and sometime we need to ask for help, but we do get the job done. Now when we finish doing something, I wonder if it was all worth the effort that we put into it. Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - TrainNut - 07-06-2016

Don, when we moved from Phoenix to Solsberry, a family of four in the same house for 14 years, we had accumulated a LOT of stuff. We had a massive yard sale/giveaway but still ended up taking up 2/3's of a semi trailer for the move. Nope I should have listened to your wisdom before we moved up here. Tired of being compressed and oppressed by size restrictions in Phoenix, and facing a much better real estate market in Indiana, we did quite the opposite. We upsized... a lot. Bucket list item I guess. We've always wanted a big huge house where we're not tripping over each other and everybody has room to spread out. We love it and are enjoying it immensely but we are also already talking about downsizing in about 10 years when both boys move out and head off to college.

Yesterday I took my visiting family to Marengo Caverns for the day and enjoyed the constant 52 degrees of being underground for a couple hours. Beautiful caverns! You have to make sure to dodge all the Amish buggies between Bedford and Paoli! Today, I think we will visit Spring Mills, a living history museum near Bedford, IN and, if we have time, Blue Springs Caverns with lunch at Smokin' Jim's BBQ Steakhouse.

By the way, when was the last time you heard from Woodone? I lost his contact info somwhere between here and Arizona.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-06-2016

Morning all. 97 degrees with 72% humidity. Weather guesser says only 91. With her track record, 101 more like it. Icon_lol

Rifle forum buddy sent me this from MI.
[Image: ry%3D400]

Never had it before.

Seems some train forum Yankees say the photos of tomatoes I posted were small tomatoes. I cut one yesterday for two sandwiches. The first two cuts. The other were even larger.

[Image: ry%3D400]

Have a good one.