The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-11-2016

TrainNut Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:There's a spur off of the BNSF mainline just a few blocks to the south of us. It cuts across Grand Ave. (US60), heads west, then cuts across a major intersection not far from our house. From there it goes through an fairly new industrial area, then to an underground storage facility for natural gas.
Do you know any other information about the underground storage facility? Sounds very interesting. I never knew that was out there.

You may find this hard to believe, I did, but there's a rather large salt mine out just north of Luke AFB. Morton has a processing plant at the corner of Dysart Rd. and Glendale Ave. They pump water into the mine and extract the salty water and let it evaporate in the Arizona sun. You can see tall piles of salt ready to be bagged for industrial purposes and roads. The voids in the ground left by the process is now being used to store natural gas. They bring in tank cars with liquefied natural gas several times a week and pump it into the ground. You can see the pumping station from the road, it's not marked, but there's no doubt what it is.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-11-2016

Morning all. 90 degrees and 70% humidity. Got a lunch meeting. Then American Legion tonight. Taking a disabled Vet for his first meeting.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-11-2016

ezdays Wrote:we manage because we have to.
Don - I well understand what you mean. Prayers for both of you.

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy with some sprinkles and 66 degrees. High for today is supposed to be 89 which, with all the humidity, will make for another day of hiding indoors.

Not much accomplished yesterday. I did finally manage to get to the gym for the first time in a couple of months. That trip showed me I need to spend much more time there.

With all the rain and prognosticated heat I think today is going to be a house cleaning day.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-11-2016

A note on my happenings. We just spent a month in Traverse City, but I'm a little close-mothed about being away.
Part of the events were for my wife's second-cousin's 90th birthday. She had her son & family from Colorado (3 generations) then last Saturday she managed to destroy her car and was in hospital with 4 broken ribs and assorted other cuts and bruises. She's in a rehab facility as of today.

We did a lot at the Interlochen music camp and saw a few films at Michael Moore's film festival. Longest trip was to Grand Rapids, to the Ford museum and a hobby shop.

Return trip was smooth. I winterized the RV this morning. Crossing the border -- negligible traffic, one vehicle ahead of us at customs and the officer looked at our passports, aked where and when, and wished us a nice day.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-12-2016

Morning. The usual hot and humid. Out the door for a busy day.

Prayers for BR's wife's cousin.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-12-2016

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, cool, and muggy this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Right now it's 72 with 94% humidity. High for today is supposed to be in the low 80s but there are a lot of clouds to get rid of before that happens. We have picked up 2 1/4 inches of rain since Wed. evening.

Nothing major to report. Did some house cleaning yesterday but I'm not sure what to do today. A contractor is supposed to get in touch with me "by the end of the week" but didn't say of his week ended on Friday or Saturday. Guess I'll find out.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 08-12-2016

Chief Eagles Wrote:Morning all. 90 degrees and 70% humidity. Got a lunch meeting. Then American Legion tonight. Taking a disabled Vet for his first meeting.

Have a good one.

I was on active military service, 1961-1983, and was extremely lucky to have not been sent to Viet Nam .
Thank You for your consideration for that Vet, I hope he had a wonderful evening at the meeting. It's good to know that those who served our great land, can still get some recognition for their sacrifices........ so, Thank You once again. CPO USN Retired

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 08-12-2016

ezdays Wrote:You may find this hard to believe, I did, but there's a rather large salt mine out just north of Luke AFB. Morton has a processing plant at the corner of Dysart Rd. and Glendale Ave. They pump water into the mine and extract the salty water and let it evaporate in the Arizona sun. You can see tall piles of salt ready to be bagged for industrial purposes and roads. The voids in the ground left by the process is now being used to store natural gas. They bring in tank cars with liquefied natural gas several times a week and pump it into the ground. You can see the pumping station from the road, it's not marked, but there's no doubt what it is.

Morton pumps water into the ground to dissolve the salt, then pumps out the saltwater. The water is then evaporated in order to reclaim the salt.

Geologically, this is the Luke Salt Body. More info can be found on this fact sheet:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.azgs.az.gov/Fall05.pdf">http://www.azgs.az.gov/Fall05.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-12-2016

Hello blue
94 degrees and still no rain. Grass looks like straw.
My fear is when it does finally rain we might get flooding downpours.
No outdoor adventures in this heat. A/C has spoiled all of us. We are riding the indoor bike instead of walks.
No train news except meeting with a friend tomorrow for a few hours to setup a Lionel display case.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-12-2016

Dayle's cousin is in a rehab facility. She seems to think she'll be out in 3 days; the staff think it'll be 3 weeks. After all, the major injury is only 4 broken ribs.
We did the "final" clearout of the motorhome today and took it back to storage. There was enough rain to turn on the wipers, but I didn't get any on me.

I went to Dr. today for my cough -- it's been really annoying (especially to SWMBO) so have a set of pills and a puffer. Neighbour was in the same office for about the same thing.

I opened up my factory kit last night -- big Atlas brick factory. Funny, in the middle of each of the big walls, there's a window that wasn't opened, same window each piece. It's a big hunk of plastic but no details on the outside -- looks like a sprue cutoff.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - TrainNut - 08-12-2016

ezdays Wrote:You may find this hard to believe, I did, but there's a rather large salt mine out just north of Luke AFB ...They bring in tank cars with liquefied natural gas several times a week and pump it into the ground. You can see the pumping station from the road, it's not marked, but there's no doubt what it is.
Via Google Earth, I followed the branch to the pumping station. Sure enough! I guess it's all good and well but it sure sounds crazy to pump that stuff back in the ground for storage. I've heard of huge cracks in the ground out that way from pumping the aquifer way down. Excessive heat, drought, Salt caverns, gas storage, recessed aquifer... sounds like a dangerous place to live! Eek 357

It's dried up 'round these parts a little over the last couple of weeks but I'm still having to go out and mow about every 3-4 days. The next several days promise to be quite wet...
Saturday - 1.45"
Sunday - 1.16"
Monday - 1.11"
Tuesday - .74"
As of tomorrow, I wonder if this is the last of our upper 80-90 degree summer weather as it appears our highs will be dropping below 80 for the rest of the extended forecast.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - TrainNut - 08-12-2016

nachoman Wrote:Geologically, this is the Luke Salt Body. More info can be found on this fact sheet:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.azgs.az.gov/Fall05.pdf">http://www.azgs.az.gov/Fall05.pdf</a><!-- m -->
Thanks Nacho! There was some interesting stuff in that link.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-13-2016

Busy morning with seniors finding property to build a senior cohousing complex. Hot and humid. Heat index has dropped from 115 to 112. Eek Need to mow. Will in a few.

Meredith's [my intern 2 years ago] Grandmother lives south of Baton Rouge. She is in her late 80's. Was evacuated by helicopter. Rest of the family by boat. Home probably destroyed. Never been that bad during hurricanes. Sad. Prayers.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-14-2016

Greetings, gang.

Partly clou8dy and 63 outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the low 80s.

Got the lawn mowed yesterday and made a quick trip to the grocery store to stock up on Powerade (on sale). Ran into a former employee and visited with her for several minutes. If I had been a couple decades younger... sigh.

On tap for today is a shopping trip to Menards and Walmart after breakfast. A bike ride also scheduled for later.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-14-2016

Hello Blue
Sun and 80s today. Humid.
We finally got rain yesterday, hopefully enough to turn the grass green again.
I spent some time Sunday helping a friend set up a post war display in a showcase he bought.
Looks pretty good. I am still going to add a few trackside's for color.
Then off to grandson's birthday party that had moved indoors because of the rain.
S.J.