The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-13-2016

Greetings, gang.

Bright sunshine and 28 degrees outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 50s with a warming trend through next Monday.

Lots of resting accomplished yesterday. Today I'm expecting the contractor who will be fixing my driveway and front steps. This evening will be beer and bereavement. I was planning to visit my son over the weekend but he has been working extra hours and hasn't had time to get his new apartment in order so we have postponed that visit for a couple of weeks.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 10-13-2016

Today was renew the license on the RV day. Step one was visit to determine the mileage. Step two was "Service Ontario". woops -- didn't see the asterix that we needed an emissions test (didn't we have one last year?). Drive up to test site (only one in Guelph that handles gas RVs) to see if busy. Back to the RV, hook up the battery, drive to test site. Test site is NW corner of the city; RV is stored SE corner. 10 minutes to test then over to Service Ontario again. Back to garage to add sticker, then to storage site. Total time ca 3 1/2 hours. Test site confirmed that we were last there 2 years ago.
So that's why I only managed 5 glue joints on my engine shed today.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-14-2016

Been extra busy. Off east to deer hunt.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BATMAN - 10-14-2016

Morning all from the stormy West Coast. It has been a blustery couple of days along with a lot of rain. Tomorrow we get the tail end of typhoon Songda that should give us some real wind and rain. They say it may veer South and Seattle could get the worst of it, but so far we are directly in its path. I did get the oil changed and the air filter cleaned in the generator though, so bring it on!!!

Train show tomorrow, and the kid has a hockey tournament, so the wife and daughter will have to battle the storm on their own 24 It's about a 70KM drive to the show but is well worth it. I hope the power stays on out there as not too many trains run without it. 357
A couple of years back on train show day, we had a storm with lots of trees down across our rural dead end road. My F-350 and I just drove up and over and through the branches of several trees. Upon my return, my neighbours were waiting to get their BMWs and grocery getter SUVs out. So out with my chainsaw and cable to clear the road with my truck.
Everytime we have a storm and we have no power for a couple of days, the neighbours all say how they will get better prepared for the next one. 357 YA RIGHT! I am evil! Yes! I am evil! Icon_twisted I take great joy at having all my Christmas lights on and make sure to have the blinds open so they can see I am watching the hockey game on the big screen when the power goes out.
Did I mention how the neighbours managed when the water main broke a few years back? I always have 150 Litre's on hand in case of earthquake. They went to hotels or friends houses in cabs as the road was washed out and they were panic-stricken at not having water. Nothing like being prepared. Popcornbeer

Have a great trouble free weekend all, I hope I do. 357

Brent

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-15-2016

Greetings, gang.

Gloomy, damp, and 64 degrees in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Warming to the 70s later and 80 by Monday.

The great construction project of 2016 is underway. The front sidewalk has been removed and work is underway to re-level the front steps. After that the sidewalk will be replaced and then the driveway and back sidewalk will be repaired. Total time will be about a week.

The only item on the agenda for today is college football at 2;30.

Good hunting, Frank.

Brent, when we first moved here 36 years ago I considered a generator as power outages were frequent. I must confess that since our present electric utility took over the service has been much better. Outages are extremely rare and usually fixed within an hour or two.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 10-15-2016

Hello Blue
Sun and 70 today.
A little train running yesterday, basically a checkup and track polishing operation.
I have a whole house 11K generator, It gives me 10 house circuits including furnace and sump pump. No 220s as that would have required larger gas pipes. Since I bought it a couple years ago the outages have decreased but I like knowing it's there and hope it never needs to run again(it has though). It automatically runs once a week for 10 minutes as a checkup and keeps the parts lubed.
I had a busy week with doctor checkups and errands but all is well.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 10-15-2016

Dayle found a newspaper story online that a bit of street reconstruction had found some old streetcar track. We went down to have a look, but the crews had been busy.

and the story: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/6911602-streetcar-rail-discovery-an-exciting-find-for-guelph/">http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story ... or-guelph/</a><!-- m -->

but I wonder why it might have been scrapped for WW1?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-16-2016

Morning. Sunny and beautiful.

Did a lot of work down east. Still more to do as behind with feeders and etc. Still lots of flooding and highways closed. Lots of National Guard convoys. Helicopters too. Farm OK. Some water still in woods. Better than expected. Runways at Seymour Johnson AFB may still be flooded. Some schools still closed. Farmers trying to finish getting in crops. Tough.

Hunting was OK. Got use to new box stand. Saw does and cow horns. Some biggies there due to the fresh tracks. Got to go back and finish our work this coming week, early.

Resting up today. Finish unpacking truck and putting up hunting gear.

Got to go see Mrs. Dorothy. She is not long for this life. She is my "black mama" as she puts it. 92 years old. A real saint.

Hope all have a great week ahead.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-17-2016

Good morning all. Been a busy week for us, there was a community yard sale on Friday and Saturday. It took us a few weeks of picking at it before we got everything out and priced. There wasn't as much traffic as I'd have hoped, but we did manage to sell some of the big things. We had a set of green swivel chairs that we sold at our last yard sale a year ago. The lady paid us but never picked them up. When we were moving, she stopped, yelled from her car that she'd be back, but she never showed up. They've been in our way ever since, until someone offered us $15, and didn't realize that our sale wasn't to make money, but to get rid of things like those green chairs.... Yes, we're planning on downsizing once again, so here we are, yard sales, trips to the Salvation Army to give away what we didn't sell, and other questionable stuff going into the dumpster. I just hope we have room for all the stuff that we do keep.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-17-2016

Greetings, gang.

Foggy and 64 degrees this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be near 80. Probably the last warm day of 2016. Tomorrow the temperature returns to more normal mid October levels.

Yesterday I got a batch of leaves picked up from the yard. Today's activities will consist of supervising the construction project.

Prayers for those still affected by last week's storm.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-18-2016

Morning all. Sunny and warm [unseasonal]. Heavy dew too. Been busy with meetings. House chores and then meeting until later tonight.

Mrs. Dorothy Jones died yesterday morning. The black widow lady I helped and was my "Mama" [as she put it]. Sad.

No hunting this week. Too hot and I'm too busy. Wifey been working Master Gardeners at the State Fair. She has a break and gone to regular part-time job. Probably go out and visit Thursday afternoon. Free bus ride and free entry for us old folks.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-18-2016

Greetings, gag.

Sunny and 52 outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 60s, considerably lower than yesterday's 82.

Work continues on the great construction project of 2016 but no visible progress. The sidewalls of the front steps are falling away from the steps and the contractor is trying to save the old steps rather than put in new so it's going to take some time. Not much else to report. I did get a summons for jury duty for the month of December. This is a delay from 2 years ago. I received one then but was taking care of my wife at the time. December should be an easy month with the holidays.

Frank - my condolences on the passing of your friend.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 10-18-2016

Hello Blue
I probably won't be writing this again for a long time. 81 yesterday, 78 today.
Chief sorry about the loss of your friend.
No train news, just the usual errands and afternoon nap. I enjoy a short nap much more than most TV offerings.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-19-2016

Morning. Already 73 degrees. Unbelievable. One good thing, this front is pushing a big storm out in the Atlantic away from us. Also, helping dry out down east.

Taking it easy this AM. Got meetings all afternoon. Been watching REF DVR'd. Catching up. Meetings all afternoon.

Going to the house and do "visitation" at Mrs. Dorothy's. I have a part of the service Sunday afternoon. HUMM.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-20-2016

Greetings, gang.

It's gonna be a sunny but cool day in the remote reaches of northern Iowa today. Right now it's 36 and headed for about 20 degrees north of that.

Yesterday was a busy day for me. Started off with a 9 AM appointment to get the windshield fixed. They said there was nothing to be done. The damage was like a paint chip and did not affect the safety of the glass. Only way to fix was to place the windshield. If the damage was 2 inches lower I would consider it but where it is would only enter my line of sight if I were watching low flying airplanes. After that I got the car washed. Then I mowed the yard and harvested another crop of leaves. In the afternoon I slacked off and supervised the construction crew. Nothing really planned for today other than beer and bereavement this evening.

All stay safe.

Tom