The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-14-2016

Spent all my cash at a train show Sunday. Found the extension kit for last year's station (both discontinued to be replaced with new, incompatible models.) Took a box of stuff for $5 -- leftovers from an estate?-- with lots of packets of Kadees (some out of their "one of everything" sampler) and a lot of packets of Peco fishplates. I'll have to build a much bigger layout to use them up. Dayle bought a plate.

Talk tonight by one of the university profs who's issuing a new series of Shakespere books. He's had a bit to do with the new portrait of Shakespere that was revealed, and helped with preserving the archives of the family's efforts to have it authenticated, which left them destitute. Best I can say is that the portrait has left Guelph (where I never saw it Sad ) for a major Canadian gallery, but there is much to be done in evaluating it.

((Spell check wants to change Kadees to Chickadees.)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-15-2016

Good morning all. Well, it got up to 87 yesterday and today we are suppose to come close to the record of 90. Here we are in the middle of November and we still have the A/C coming on. Again, according to the weather lady on TV, that's all going to change in a few days, but then back up to the 80's after that.

Uhh, is anyone becoming tired of "Black Friday" sales? They started right after Halloween and will probably continue well past what we had determined to be the actual Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. Retailers of all sorts are advertising deals on furniture, vehicles, sporting goods, electronics and even tummy tucks. Hey, want to buy a BMW or a Chevy truck for all your friends? Now's the time to do it and save thousands... 35

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-15-2016

I too am tired of the black Friday sales, to the point I refuse to participate, and I will not buy anything on Thanksgiving and the day after because I believe all of us should have that day off to be with family. If folks can't plan ahead far enough so they don't have to run to a store to shop on those days then I really feel bad for them.
Years ago all of our stores were required to remain closed on Sunday. I agree with that law, but not for religious reasons. I believe closing stores on Sunday would give family's a day to be together, as well as reduce energy costs for that day.
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-15-2016

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 36 headed for sunny and 63. A few more days of nice weather before it turns to late fall. Temps by Friday only in the 40s.

Yesterday I pulled off the semi-annual seasonal shed switch - summer toys in the shed and winter toys in the garage, primarily the snow blower. I changed the oil and test ran it. Just now remembered I forgot to check the tire pressure on it so I will do that this morning.

This afternoon I'll be heading back to eastern Iowa. Son's biopsy tomorrow and then a long 6 days til we get the results on Tuesday the 22nd.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BATMAN - 11-15-2016

Good morning all.
We were up at 0500Hrs this morning for the hour drive through very heavy rain and rush hour traffic, to get the wife in for her surgery on her hand. She was scheduled first into the O/R, which tells us, hers will be the longest surgery of the day. We were told that they book the surgeries longest to shortest. Hopefully, she will have a quick recovery. We don't realize how much she does for us all until we have to start doing it for ourselves. 357

Had a busy long (Remembrance day) weekend as my cousins flew in from Winnipeg for the playoff game between the B.C. Lions and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. They treated a bunch of us family members to the game by buying all our tickets for us. I almost felt guilty cheering for the Lions. Nope The Lions won 32 to 31 in a very exciting game.

I hope our friendly Bear didn't suffer too many derailments (or worse) with the big earthquake in New Zealand. My sister has a few friends down there and has been getting sporadic reports on the situation. We are over a hundred years overdue for a big shake here on the West Coast. We are very prepared with 150 LTRs of water and lots of emergency freeze dried food, a generator and a ton of other things we may need. Living rural and having lost power for days at a time, we learned early how important it was to be self sufficiant.

Despite having to do double duty on the home front, I have actually been getting some train time in. I finally pulled my Walthers turntable out of the box that I got three years ago for Fathers Day and am ready to install it. Hopefully soon I will be making my loco's dizzy. 357

Tom, I am sorry to hear of more rough times ahead. I am sending positive thoughts your way and keeping my fingers crossed for you and your son. My brother-in-laws sisters family of six has been battling cancer since I have known them. She had it first (skin cancer) and recovered, then her husband passed away from Prostate cancer that spread, and now all four of their children aged 35 to 50 are fighting this horrible desease. My very bad Arthritis just doesn't seem worth mentioning some days, when I see what others are going through.

It would be nice to have some days in the year where everything was closed and we could pull back from the hustle and bustle we all face (even in retirement). Having been a federal employee and realizing the world never slows down, I know this can't happen. Remembrance day is the one day that I think a real effort should be made to bring everything to a halt for the day, in Canada at least. It seems to be less important as the years go by and this saddens me.

Positive thoughts for a great day to all.

Brent

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-15-2016

We're getting Black Friday ads here, and we don't even have Thanksgiving to blame it on!

I dug out an old book that I was going to use for show and tell. The spine says Trip Book. Inside are listed the receipts for trips from Chippawa, Ont to Buffalo but with extra lines showing Niagara Falls and Queenston. I think it was a railway register, the dates are May 1847 to what looks like July 1851.
However someone has used the first few pages (10) as a scrapbook for mostly cartoons cut from newspapers. One of these has a date of 1871. So these are older than my grandfather.
For those of you who've been to Niagara Falls, Chippawa is the area from Marineland south.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-16-2016

Morning all. Sunny and 50 degrees. Busy day and evening.

In disaster mode. Just got word that Butter Ball is not giving us the 30 turkeys [as they have before] for the 4 schools for less fortunate kids' Thanksgiving meals. Now to Food Lion and maybe Lowe's Foods. Got to see if I can get a big discount as I may be funding the project myself.

Hope all have a great day.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-17-2016

Tom, best of luck and prayers for the best outcome

Frank, sorry about that, I hope you can get some large grocery chain to just donate. Around here, there are drives at major store chains to collect turkeys for those in need. I think there are fewer turkeys this year, I saw something on TV about some disease hitting a turkey farm, supposedly carried there from a fox that snuck in. There are also no price wars, no lost leaders. All the ads say "will price match other stores", but few publish their prices, they want you to go in and find out, and not move on to another store since it's not worth the time just to save a few cents on a turkey.

Today should be down in the low 70's for us, it was in the high 80's just a few days ago, but fear not, it'll be back up there again later this week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-17-2016

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, windy, and warm this afternoon in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Right now it's 70 degrees. The overnight low is supposed to be in the upper 40s with an early morning high in the low 50s. Then the winds pick up (40 mph), the temperature drops and there is a chance for snow tomorrow night. Gonna be a good day for a pot of chili.

Son's biopsy is over. Recovering nicely. Had a partial collapsed lung which is typical for this type of procedure. Results next Tuesday.

On the way to his place on Monday I had to replace a tire. I had a warning light last Friday, checked all four tires and all were good. When I saw the light again on Monday I just figured one of the sensors was bad and ignored it. Nope, it was working. Had to change a tire along a busy interstate. Stopped in the next town and bought a new tire and all is well again.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-18-2016

Morning. 55 and sunny. Warming through Sat PM. Might get a shower Sat. late and cold front. Not really cold though.

Spent a lot of yesterday from 10 AM [Human Services BD before] on until 4 PM with one of the twin Granddaughters at Duke Children's Hospital where she had her tonsils removed.

Trying to head east to hunt. Being held up. 60 turkeys needed. I am financing most if I can get Food Lion to override their 2 per customer limit [dirt cheap sale]. If not, got PTA parents ready to raid Food Lion. Then that will be remembered by our citizens who shop there [maybe not anymore for awhile]. New manager from VA and he is not a good "community person".

Have a great weekend.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-18-2016

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, windy, and 37 degrees outside my window this morning. We've already hit our high for the day at 45 when I got up around 6:30. temperatures will continue to fall and the wind will increase to 45+ mph later this afternoon. Also in the mix is a chance for rain. All in all a great day for the pot of chili which is currently simmering on the stove.

I've already been out and about this morning picking up necessities for the weekend. Nothing else planned until Monday when I had back to eastern Iowa for the results from my son's biopsy.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-19-2016

Good morning all, it's hard to believe, but we're days away from Thanksgiving here in the US. If you think our election advertising was deplorable and confusing, how about all these "Black Friday" ads? I'm sorry, but I thought using that term defined the day after Thanksgiving for shoppers, not, "Black Friday is here all month". Christmas decorations were in the stores long before Halloween, and one local radio station started playing Christmas music 24/7 starting last Tuesday. Ads with Santa Claus and elfs have replace those of the politicians the day they went off the air, and I thought those, "Christmas in July" ads were way out of line. I guess though, if you're selling something, you use every means to do so even if it means distorting the meaning and times of the holidays. To me, the "Holiday" season starts on Thanksgiving and ends January 2. You put up the tree and decorations anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, and you take them down as soon after Jan 2 and you can. It's tradition, why let the retailers and big business change that?

Enough of a rant on that subject, it won't change anything, I just hope that it doesn't get progressively worse and eventually we find that the Easter and Christmas seasons merge as one....

Hows the weather here? Well, we had the A/C going earlier this week, and two days later, we turned on the furnace. It's just not fair, we've gone from the high 80's one day to the low 70's the next. We also have rain in the forecast for the beginning of the coming week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - MountainMan - 11-19-2016

Pretty cold at night now, but still warm during the daytime and no snow yet. Pretty strange November, but the first snow is on Pikes Peak.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - teejay - 11-19-2016

Afternoon , boys and girls . Winter is just around the corner after a beautiful couple of weeks . ....might even get some snow tonight !

A friend has recently opened a hobby shop for used items , mostly mrring related , and consignment items only . So far the response has been good .....I'm anxious to see if and how it works out . I consigned several locos the other day , items that I won't be using due to my downsizing of the layout . I'm surprised no one has done a ' used" items hobby shop in our area before .

T

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-19-2016

In Canada, the traditional sales day was Boxing Day, aka St. Stephen's Day ("on the feast of Stphen"), the day after Christmas. Now it's been expanded to "Boxing Week". Or even "Boxing Month".
TeeJay: does your friend live in Dundas? Someone there is doing that.